“Fantastic for children but overpriced and service could be better”
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We stayed here for bonfire weekend with our 4 year old daughter. Check in was smooth and our room was spacious and all we needed. The pool was a hit with our little girl who spent a lot of time in there! The grounds are also fantastic, so much space for her to run and the fairy door hunt went down well too. There was a buffet in the evening which wasn't that great and was overpriced for what it was, particularly for vegetarians! Lunch took awhile to arrive after finding somebody to take our order. The problem is you just sit where you like in the lounge or bar with no designated service point. The food was fine but £5 for our daughter's glass of apple juice is ridiculous! The firework show was ok, have seen better at other hotels but the free sparklers were a nice touch. In the morning, breakfast was OK although I didn't get the toast I asked for with my hot food. We didn't have any intentions on using the crèche but after collecting our prize from the fairy hunt our daughter wanted to stay and play, she had a great time in there. We had a hot drink in the cafe which took a long time to make (10 minutes!) overall we had a lovely weekend but the service and food didn't quite meet our expectations following the cost.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
TheElmsAbberley, General Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2012

Hello Norcy
Thank you for your review of your recent visit to The Elms . I was disappointed to read that we were not able to meet your expecations with regard to service and for this I am very sorry. I will take this opportunity to reassure you that as a team we are working hard on improving every aspect of the food and beverage service & delivery. I am not sure what happened with the apple juice, a 250ml glass costs £2.50. My apologies for the double charge and if you return then we owe you one.

I take on board your comments about the bonfire night event. We will change it for next year and focus on a great childrens buffet, some interactive childrens activities and lots more fireworks.

Thank you again for the review and I do hope we see you here at the Elms in the future.
Best Regards

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We went up for a friend's 40th. It was seen as ideal as so many of us have kids. It is a lovely place and we got a warm welcome on reception. Our room was lovely and, unlike many hotels, as there were 3 of us, there were 3 sets of towels. I know that sounds silly but it happens less often that one would expect. We all booked the children's high tea and service was poor. The meals arrived in dribs and drabs with my daughter waiting 40 minutes. The excuse was short staff but hey, that's why people book in advance, to give hotels a chance to staff up appropriately. I have to say they almost redeemed themselves with the evening meal for 18 in a function room. We didn't get our meals at the same time but the timing was better than at high tea. The food was lovely, small portions sadly, but delicious and the veg option was very tasty. I do regret that I didn't get to use the spa as others in our party tell me it is lovely. We didn't use the creche either, but, again, people were impressed. Breakfast was poor. A long wait for them to take orders and three requests for toast not actioned.
It is in a lovely setting but a long way from London where we live, and I'm afraid the service means it doesn't feel worth the journey back. Indeed my husband said he wouldn't even stay there as a stop off on a long journey as the service put him off. At the prices they charge, it should be better

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main house. We were in the coach house and you have to go outside to get t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Hello Axyl100
Thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor and also for contacting me directly. I hope the email I have sent goes some way to apologise for some of the service issues and explain what happened. As I said in the email I am happy to discuss it in greater detail if you wish to contact me at the hotel.

Best Regards

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We had a family celebration at the Elms.

The staff were all very helpful, dinner was very good. We were a mixed group including children and the hotel is suited to this mix - I wouldnt recommend for a quiet romantic break

Breakfast was a bit manic and perhaps a buffet would make it more straight forward but the quality was good.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hello Racing34
I am happy to read that your family event went well on Saturday evening and that the hotel was well suited to cater for your needs. I take onboard your feedback about a busy breakfast which can be hectic when we are cooking to order. We very much want to keep it the way it is though, and are looking at ways with the team of improving the speed of service so it is less hectic.
Your comment regarding a romantic weekend break is fair. We are all about families and the little ones having a great time is as important as the adults having a great time. Here children can be children.
Thanks again for your review and I look forward to welcoming you to the Elms again in the near future.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our third visit to this beautiful manor house was as memorable as before. Since first discovering The Elms back in June, we haven't been able to stay away. Our 7 year old even chose this location over a birthday party with friends. The staff, led by The wonderful Hayley, are simply fabulous. The setting, amongst rolling hills and valleys, the gorgeous rooms and first class, friendly hosts gave us a perfect weekend. They made us feel so welcome and at home. after a day full of fun in the pool, on the courts and even searching for fairies, and a special birthday dinner laid on with balloons and cake by the hotel, we went outside for a firework display. Then we had a cosy evening in the lounge with friends as the children played around us. Janine and Alex looked after our and the childrens' every need. Sally on reception even drove our friends home after her shift as there were no cabs! We cannot recommend this hotel enough...and we cannot wait to go back!!

Room Tip: In nice weather, go for the coach house rooms - with french doors onto the garden.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family

Hello Tara
Thanks for your lovely review. We can't wait to have you back! More fireworks next year I think!!
See you again soon I hope.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I organised a day trip to the Spa as a birthday gift to a friend and we had a lovely time! The staff were so welcoming and friendly, and had answers to all of our questions. The jacuzzi was hot too which was lovely as the last Spa we visited wasn't very impressive.
We had a set lunch with the day with yummy food and have already planned another trip back there in three months time. A thoroughly enjoyed day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Dear sjb1985,

Thank you for taking the time to post a lovely review about your recent visit to the Spa. It is wonderful to hear how good a day was had by the both of you for your friend's birthday. I will be sure to pass your comments on the the spa team.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Dire service equalled by even more dire food quality.

I can only conclude that the chef was actually a blacksmith who might have at some stage turned his hand to cooking! (Not very well either......)

How hard is it to cook 2 poached eggs on a slice of toast? Too hard boiled for the Elms and smoked haddock the size of a stickleback - all for £34!

So all of you who have loads of money to waste on food worse than crap, queue up here in Abberley. They will be pleased to take it! (And without even a smile!)

Room Tip: If breakfast is anything to go by stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank luigidoleone
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear luigidoleone,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to us and we are very disappointed to read that it wasn’t as it should have been. We would have been very willing to speak with you regarding this feedback during your visit and acted in the appropriate way to ensure your breakfast was to the normal high standard.

We would like to take this opportunity and admit that when you visited during October half term we were quite stretched not only with serving staff but also in the kitchen whilst trying to service orders for 80 people, half of which were children. This, by any means, is not an excuse for the food with which you were disappointed, however is a contributor and the reason why we were unable to provide you with a table in our restaurant. I would like to clarify that our set priced breakfast menu includes a wide choice of continental options, speciality teas and coffees, full English breakfast and alternatives such as the smoked haddock you’ve mentioned and this price is charged whether or not all options are taken.

If you wish to discuss the matter further, please do contact General Manager, Hayley Kirton, or myself at the hotel at your convenience.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel going back 30 years and have always enjoyed it. However when deciding to renew our visit noticed the very mixed experiences noted on this review site. We were almost put off by it and surprised that such a special hotel (was AA red stared) had apparently gone down hill! Well we found it still a special hotel with friendly staff and first class dining. Yes there is a few more children around and its a bit more noisy than it use to be, but the standard of rooms and quality of food is still very good and well worth a visit. Add this to the superb location and I am sure you will have a very nice time at The Elms. Not as exclusive as it use to be but thats a sign of the time I guess.

Room Tip: Choose first floor rooms.... top floor a but of a climb!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear bob n,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. It is great to hear about your return visits over the past 30 years, amazing!

We very much look forward to welcoming you back time and time again in the future and thank you again for such lovely feedback.

Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells
Brockencote Hall Hotel
Brockencote Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!