“Unbelievably Poor Service at This Level”
Review of The Elms

The Elms
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Abberley
Monda, Spain
“Unbelievably Poor Service at This Level”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

There is no other way to put this, other than good food and a potentially beautiful venue, let down by lack of attention to detail and service staff that seemed totally oblivious to guests needs, with an attitude to match (apart from our waiter who was extremely polite but obviously swimming against the tide!)

I don't know anyone who would want to sit in an elegant dining room and look at dirty windows, but that's easily forgiven. However, the main factor is the level of service. Empty plates were left on the table far too long, the glasses from our initial drink at the bar were still on the table at the end of the meal (a total of 14 used glasses by now), the staff seemed to disappear from sight, we had to leave the table to chase the bill to be then told by the arrogant receptionist (who obviously thought she was doing us a favour) that we had to go to the bar to pay.

I then raised the issues with the duty manager who simply said 'sorry', asked for no more details, was totally disinterested and offered no credible level of apology.

It was very disappointing to have a good meal ruined by appalling service, particularly from the duty management. In the current climate I would have thought they would be striving for better, I certainly will not be returning.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ian H
TheElmsAbberley, Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear food&wino65

I am sincerely sorry that your Sunday Lunch experience with us did not live up to your expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person . Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.
Regards
Hayley Kirton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Hove, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Myself, my wife and 15 month year old daughter stayed here for 3 nights during October and we had a great time. Ideal for families with younger children, great food, especially the meals prepared for our daughter, lovely house and grounds. Spa facilities are good and there are many attractions locally, we went to West Midlands safari park which is well worth a visit. My only negative comment is with regards to the service which is echoed in other reviews, it is a little slow at times but the staff are extremely helpful, friendly and throughout our stay couldn't do enough for us. Highly recommend this hotel and hope to visit others in the group soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear MrandMrsShipp,

We would like to thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. It is lovely to read about how much you enjoyed your time at The Elms and I will pass all your comments on to the rest of the team.

We do hope to welcome you back soon and wish you the same enjoyable stay at our sister hotels within the Luxury Family Hotels collection.

Again thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2012

It is several years since I last visited this venue. My previous visit, for a works function which I'd organised, had gone well, with excellent food and service, so I was looking forward to returning. We visited yesterday for a Champagne Afternoon Tea and were very disappointed with the standard of service. On arrival we were asked if we would like our champagne served before our tea, and we said yes to this. Ten minutes later we were still waiting for our champagne (and tea) so had to ask staff twice for the champagne. The champagne eventually arrived (Ayala - so good quality), and after another 10-15 minutes our sandwiches and cakes arrived. The sandwiches were a little dry - as if they'd been hanging around for about half an hour - a little like us hungry guests. However, had they been fresher, the sandwiches would have been lovely, and the scones were still warm from the oven. Other cakes were also delicious. However, at this point when we were down to our final cakes, we had still not had our tea or coffee, approximately an hour after our arrival. After asking it did eventually turn up. After a while I decided I would like a peppermint tea too. Having found a member of staff to ask I duly ordered it. Twenty minutes later it had still not turned up so we cancelled the order.

We were not the only guests let down by lack of staff. We overheard several other guests complaining of slow service and inability to find staff. The hotel cannot even use the excuse of being busy as most areas were very quiet. Rather more sadly, the only member of staff who apologised for the slow service was the lady who had to deal with payment. If there was some behind the scenes staff crisis, is it beyond the wit of the service staff to apologise to customers for delays?

Very, very disappointed that such a lovely venue, with food that would be delicious if served immediately, is being let down by slow and disinterested service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
TheElmsAbberley, Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Tiggertigger
I am sincerely sorry that your experience with us did not live up to expectations. I would welcome the opportunity to talk with you in person regarding the experience. Please give me a call at the hotel at your convenience.

Thank you for your feedback and I look forward to talking with you.
Hayley Kirton
Reviewed October 21, 2012

A very good friend of mine chose to treat us to Sunday lunch at The Elms for my birthday which we all looked forward too. We arrived at promptly for our reservation time which was 13h30 had a drink in the bar and shown through to the dining room which had 3 tables of guests and what seemed 4 service staff on duty which only paid attention to the food orders from the kitchen. We waited quite a while for the wine to arrive whilst we received our starters (one of which was incorrect) and waited for this to be corrected. Eventually the wine arrived, just before the main course which I have to say was really good food. The service staff seemed to have faded from the dining room half way through our meal, no one to be seen not even to clear the empty glasses we had on the table since our arrival. 20 minutes after we had finished the main someone appeared and cleared our plates, another server came out from no where with the dessert menus. We had decided to share all our desserts in the middle of the table, for which no additional side plates or cutlery was offered.

When it came to asking for the bill, again no one in sight! One of us had to leave the table to ask reception. Eventually after waiting long enough we left the table and proceeded to settle the bill at the bar. The general attitude was not courteous and Disappointing really, not even a thank you!

We will be following this review up with the owner/ general manager.

• Stayed October 2012
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear IanYoungWM,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to The Elms and we are very disappointed to read that not only did we not meet your expectations we failed to provide the service with which we pride ourselves, for which we are very sorry.

We would very much like to discuss your comments directly and so please do contact Hayley Kirton, General Manager, at your earliest convenience.

birmingham
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here on Tuesday 9th of October. I went with my mum dad 2 sisters my sister in law and 4 year old nephew. They were so welcoming and accommodating. We purchased dinner bed and breakfast in advance. We didn't arrive until after 9pm that evening due to the fact we had had our brothers funeral earlier on in the day. We called up and told them we would be arriving late and they said that they will ensure our meals are ready. The hotel used to be a house. It is stunning and full of character and sits in wonderfully kept scenic greenery. The rooms that we stayed in are stunning the kingsize bed was really comfortable with duck/goose down feathers in the pillow cases. The rooms are a good size too. Modern warm bathrooms our room had a shower and a bath and a heated stainless steel radiator.
The rooms are very warm and have a baby listener in retro radios and television with channels 1-5.
The place is very child friendly but also great for adults too so we all had a great time. Dinner really is 5* homebaked potatoe wedges salmon that melted in the mouth and excellent fish. We even had bubbly with our meals and our nephew had some cola in a champagne glass so he didn't feel left out. This was the idea of the lady that welcomed us. Such a nice touch.

Breakfast was in a lovely relaxed room with a buffet style and also an option to order off the menu. fresh orange juice fish poached kippers waffles cereal cooked breakfast. There was a great selection for everyone. I believe they were organic eggs too - which pleased my dad.

The spa is stunning the jacuzzi consists of an outdoor section and an indoor section. I felt relaxed sitting outside amongst the beautiful gardens whilst in the Jacuzzi. The swimming pool is child friendly with arm bands ect. There is also a steam room contrast shower and sauna. The contrast shower was great fun. it really felt like we were in the rainforest.

We only stayed for one night / day. I wish we could have stayed longer it is really relaxing and everyone is so friendly and personable. I have travelled alot and usually dont like staying in Britsh hotels and tend to go to Dubai Maldives or Europe for holidays or short breaks. But this hotel surprised me. It really does put British hotels on the map and its definitely changed my opinion. It is good value for money - I will definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is considering it

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank melissa116
Dear melissa116,

Thank you very much for your very detailed and lovely review of your recent stay with us.

It is fantastic to hear about your experience and I will be sure to pass your feedback on to the rest of the team who will be equally as happy to read your comments. It makes us very proud to hear we've managed to change your opinion of British hotels and can't wait to welcome you and your family back again soon.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Spent a weekend here with a group of friends all with kids aged between 6 and 1 years. Lovely hotel with great gardens. very child friendly. rooms were nice. we stayed in a standard room with two small children on camp beds and found that there was plenty of room. the staff were all very polite and helpful.a babysitter was found for us at the last minute. the food was well presented and to a high standard. will definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank emma m
Dear emma m,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and would very much love to welcome you back in the future with more of your friedns and family.

Again thank you for taking the time to post your feedback it is very uch appreciated.

London
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

2 night stay mid week with 2 year old and 1 month old.

Service:
Every staff member we came across were extremely polite and professional. The staff are very accommodating particularly for the requests and needs of the younger guests.

Room:
We stayed in the main house in 'Emblem' which has an additional small room with a bunk bed and travel cot in it. This is perfect for returning to the room after dinner whilst the little one is still asleep.
The room was clean and of a totally acceptable size. The furniture is in keeping with the traditional house. There's a flat screen TV and DVD player in the room. A kettle with coffee and tea is available.
The beds are huge. Probably bigger than a super-king. Certainly big enough to fit myself, my wife, my 1 month old and the 2 year old sleeping diagonally.
The rooms are set up with a monitoring device which allows reception to keep an ear out for the little ones whilst parents go down to dinner.

Bathroom:
Clean and spacious with a powerful shower. Large bath sheets and towel rail. Elemis beauty products. Nappy pail and had no issues obtaining a little step for the little guy to stand on to get to the sink or toilet.

Location:
Pretty much in the middle of nowhere, just as it should be.

Additional:
Free WiFi in rooms and most of the complex although I was having issues at times on my iPhone getting connected. WiFi was a must since mobile network reception was poor with no 3G or even EDGE (on O2). The speed of the network is not the quickest though.
For families this place has really been thought out well. There are baby changing facilities readily available and even little steps to use in the public toilets. The grounds offer opportunity to wear the little ones out. There is a small playground with trampoline, swings, slide, football goal, crocket pitch, tennis courts, etc.
The swimming pool was perfect for wearing our little one out and even has an indoor / outdoor jacuzzi.
The crèche is so flexible. Opening from 10:00-12:00, 12:30-14:30, 15:00-17:00. You simply turn up if they are not busy but can normally get in there at short notice even when not. It allows parents the time to use the extensive Spa facilities, lounge in the drawing room or enjoy a coffee in the cafe. The staff there are really attentive and play with the little ones rather than just being a minding service.
Food is of a high standard without being overly expensive for dinner. Breakfast is the usual self-service cereals, juice, pastries with a full hot breakfast to order.

• Stayed September 2012
TheElmsAbberley, Front Office Manager at The Elms, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear MaKSiNg,

Thank you very much for your lovely and very detailed review of your recent break with us. It is so lovely to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at The Elms and I will pass your kind comments on to the rest of the team here.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to The Elms in the near future.

Fern Stewart, Front of House Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abberley
Hallmark Hotel Stourport Manor
#1 of 1 in Malvern Wells
Brockencote Hall Hotel
Brockencote Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chaddesley Corbett

Been to The Elms? Share your experiences!