“Absolutely delicious!”

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2018

This restaurant is amazing, the food was outstanding and the staff went above and beyond for us.
We were a family of 6 visiting Galway and we visited Lydon’s for dinner and we were so glad we did.
From the moment we entered the restaurant the staff went out of the way to welcome us, to set up a table for 6 of us and cater for our every needs.
The food was wonderful, we all had different starters and mains and not one of us could fault it!
The wine choices were also excellent.
At the end of our fabulous evening we asked the restaurant to call us a taxi and rather than us waiting for 20 mins or so, the owner herself dropped us back at our hotel on a horrid rainy evening, what an amazing lady to do that for us, we were honestly blown away!
I hope I get to visit Lydon’s again, if you want good food, this is the place to be!

Reviewed August 9, 2018

We recently stopped again having ate here last year when on holidays. We were greeted by the same staff who remembered the girls from our last visit, we had to wait 10 mins for a table as it was busy at the time. The new menu had some great choices especially for the children with homemade chicken strips & fresh pasta. We started with the honeyed goat's cheese parcel with pickled carrot & cucumber while my wife had the seared prawn salad which was served on toasted sourdough & crisp calamari, they were both different & delicious. For Main course we went for the surf & turf which I had remembered from before - tender fillet steak & garlic prawns cooked to perfection, My wife's main was the grilled hake fillet with a clam & smoked bacon cream very tasty and the fresh samphire was a nice touch that you wouldn't see too often. We hardly had room left for dessert but had to try the chocolate, caramel & hazelnut torte and the girls shared the pavlova with a strawberry & lime compote, they both had the professional touch. It was a relaxed atmosphere with the waitress having the chat with most of the tables which looked to be regular customers, the only negative is that the abbey restaurant is not closer to home! until next time...

Reviewed July 14, 2018

We live locally and have been to the Abbey several times. We have always found the food good and the staff friendly. Yesterday, we were unable to order half chips & half potatoes with a Chicken Breast main. Even though half chips & half rice was on the menu as an option with the Chicken Curry main!!!! When we asked if we could order half chips & half potatoes, the waitress said that we would have to order a portion of chips separately. This is extremely inflexible and not very customer-friendly.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

I have been coming to Galway since childhood and Lydons Bar is our family pub , so when I heard The Abbey Restaurant had moved down her I decided to pop in , I read the reviews first but was so glad I choose to ignore a few as the welcome , food and venue were all great , we had veg soup which was delicious , steak and the roast turkey , the desserts were delicious cheesecake ( so good ) toffee apple crumble with Baileys custard my husbands favourite. I really liked the place not fancy but spacious and cosy .

We were not rushed and the place was busy we went 4 times and each time was great.

I would say for 2 dinners dessert a few glasses of wine and a soft drink it was £53 Euro each visit , maybe a bit overpriced for a small village restaurant but for a treat it was worth it , we’re back at xmas so we’ll be here again .

We’re from London we eat in good restaurants there & This was up there with them , all the staff were great too , thank you and long may you stay in Lydons .

3  Thank Jacquietolan64
Reviewed March 4, 2018 via mobile

Ate in their new premises in Knockdoe Co.Galway as I have done before and always enjoyed however on this occasion no such enjoyment.
Greeted by a long serving waitress with a mouthful of food in her mouth. I got over that pretty quick, busy restaurant eat when you can and all that. Anyway got a table without a wait ordered food and had a nice wait for it to come out. I have chicken and bacon carbonara with garlic bread. It was so bland and tasteless I didn't bother finishing it, actual waste of calories. My husband got the special as the roast was gone, beef stroganoff which was well just fine. Our son had the mini fillet steak, potato and veg kids option which is what he always has when we eat here as he loves it. He ended up having to get the rest boxed up to take home as the meat was so tough his jaws were tires from chewing!
Husband paid and came out saying that it was expensive, turns out he was overcharged, the lady on the till was very kind and apologetic an honest mistake. But I asked her what on the bill was €16.90 as no charge had the meal name, she informed me it was for the beef stroganoff. No way was it worth that price. Between the price of the meals and the quality of food we will not be back. Pity as used to be a great place.