“Lovely hotel and staff”

Claregalway Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Claregalway
“Lovely hotel and staff”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights midweek at the end of January. The room was huge and absolutely lovely a real tase of luxury. The staff were all very friendly and the food was also lovely even though the service was a bit slow they could not do enough for you and were very helpfull. Would highly recommend for a nice break as its great all round.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joe Q
obcg, General Manager at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Joe Q,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us in January.

Thank you for your kind words regarding our hotel team. I will be sure to pass these comments to the new F&B manager along with your comments relating to the service.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward in welcoming you back again in the near future.

Paul Gill
Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were there last weekend 16th to 18th February
Very friendly and efficient reception on arrival All the staff at this hotel are very friendly and accommodating
We really enjoyed the 2 course menu that was included with our 2 night deal through Deal rush
The rooms are basic; but very clean
This hotel lives up to its 3 stars we would give staff 5 star

However there is a little bar about a hundred meters from the hotel called Summerfields
Were the local clientèle were very hostile when we walked in making some very strange noises directed at us making us feel very unwelcome avoid at all cost
much better welcome in Hotel bar.

Couple Dublin

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Agvanzanten,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Claregalway Hotel.
On behalf of the team I would like to thank you for taking the time out of your day to post your comments.

I am delighted to be reading your comments; it is kind words like yours that make our hard work worthwhile. I will pass on your comments to the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I had a Lovely two night Escape in The Claregalway hotel just recently, and had a really great time.
Claregalway overall is a warm, spacious, Clean, and Child friendly hotel which is also wheelchair accessible. The Beds are Like sleeping on a cloud in Heaven, and the T.V happened to have a hockey highlight channel (which was great news for my Husband)
The Hotel is host to a generously sized gym on one floor, and a well kept pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room on another (If you are using the pool they ask you to invest in a swimming cap which they sell there; but It may be cheaper to pack your own).
We had a lovely dinner In their restaurant one of the evenings. The food portions were generous and tasty, but the service is pretty slow...and confusing. I think the waiters also serve in the pub that's next door as they would all disappear for long moments of time. But would eventually come back and clear the tables and ask you if you had enjoyed everything. If you are not in a hurry, and if you are in good company, you should be grand!
What sold me on the hotel is their Full Irish Breakfast :) A breakfast of this size and portion is for champions indeed! I had a great waiter named Carl who was very charming, and didn't mind putting my husbands breakfast into a to go box so that I could surprise him with Breakfast in bed!
My only wish would be for a more convenient City Bus to and from Glaregalway to Galway City. The stop itself is right outside the hotel, but it comes very few and far between with the last bus from Galway returning to the Hotel at 6:15p!!. We support cabs, they are great and plenty, but each way burnt an eighteen Euro hole in our wallets.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
obcg, General Manager at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Sarahwriteanddreams,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent trip to the Claregalway Hotel. I am delighted your family enjoyed the stay. It is really appreciated.
I am glad that you availed of all the facilities and had the opportunity to enjoy them. Your comments about our staff are much appreciated. I will be sure to pass on your feedback.
I am delighted you enjoyed your food in the restaurant but I am sorry to hear that you found the service in the restaurant to be slow. I have passed your comments onto our Food & Beverage Manager to review.

Sarahwriteanddreams, all bus timetables are available from our reception desk. Please find below detail which you might find helpful for your next trip to Galway.

There are several regular bus services that pass the hotel. Bus Eireann runs every hour approx. to & from Galway. Their Sunday service runs every 2 to 3 hours with the last bus departing Galway at 22.15 on Friday & Saturday night. A one way ticket costs €3.75 approx. Burkes also runs a service from Claregalway to Galway. The service runs every hour Monday to Friday & every 2 hours on the weekend. The last Burke Bus leaves Galway every evening at 21.15. All buses stop just outside the hotel.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had a deal rush voucher for this hotel which was an absolute bargain!! Food could not be faulted, clean hotel, nice spacious room with all amenities. Staff members really make this hotel what it is, they are extremely attentive, friendly and made our stay that bit better!! Would recommend to all!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sineadr19
Dear Sineadr19

Many thanks for your much valued custom and kind review of the Claregalway Hotel on Tripadvisor. Your comments about our staff are much appreciated and help keep everyone motivated. I will be sure to pass on your feedback. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit to Galway.

Carrickmacross, Ireland
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here Oct bank holiday weekend have to say i was very surprised with some of the bad reviews it has received.
Went here with my wife and kids and we taught it was a very good hotel rooms were very large and spotless and same with the pool but was a bit annoyed that we had to go back up to our room to get towels on one of our visits as the had ran out.
They had a ghost hunt on for the children which they had a great time going around trying to track them down.
The staff were the main asset to this hotel some of the friendliest i have come across had no problem accommodating anything we asked.
We had dinner on one of the evenings it was just average could have been alot better, but on both mornings breakfast was excellent.
Went down to the bar on one of the nights as they had a band playing just can't remember his name now, it was packed and had a great atmosphere, turned out to be a brilliant night.
Overall a lovely hotel with some of the friendliest staff and just a short distance from Galway would consider going back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear MonMan3,

Thank you very much for posting your review of Claregalway Hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us here in Claregalway Hotel.

It is such a pleasure to hear that you were happy with your accommodations and you found our team friendly & helpful. We are also delighted that you enjoyed the atmosphere & the live music within the bar however

I am very disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy one of your meals with us. I will inform the Food & Beverage team of the short comings in the restaurant and I assure you that this is not our usual standard.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the future.

Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Having purchased a Pigsback voucher for this hotel I checked availability on the hotel's website and then rang to book using the voucher. Everything was going fine with reservations, the rooms were available until I mentioned I had a voucher. Immediately I was told there was no availability at all in the hotel that night and that it was a mistake on the website and the hotel should be showing no availability for that night. However when I later emailed the hotel pointing out there was STILL availability on their website I was informed that rooms were available but not for anyone with a Pigsback voucher as the hotel had reached he number of vouchers it would accept on that night - this condition was not mentioned anywhere in the terms and conditions and the voucher also stated valid 7 days per week. However I was welcome to book a room for my chosen night if I was willing to pay a supplement - which would defeat the purpose of buying a voucher in the first place.
This was to be a family break away for a night before returning to work from maternity leave. A week day is not an option as my husband cannot secure time off work and when the voucher clearly states valid 7 days a week it would seem a little underhand for the hotel to refuse to accept it in the hope of filling the room with "full paying" customers and pushing us to a midweek night. It is obviously lost on this hotel that as a family we would be dining in the hotel and no doubt have additional expenditure. Very disappointing service and more than a little sneaky and underhand. Not a good recommendation for a hotel at all.

Stayed February 2013
5 Thank jillipm
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Dear Jillipm,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on Tripadvisor. I’m sorry you were not able to avail of the deal on your desired dates; we generally have positive feedback on this deal and it’s disappointing to hear that yours was not.

We allocated a percentage of our stock of rooms to the deal when the deal went live in early December. As you can imagine the first allocations to go were Friday & Saturday as they were the most popular. When you called in February to avail of a weekend night on the deal the allocations had long been sold. Once our allocations for these rooms are sold we are unable to give the remaining rooms for these vouchers, it does ask you prior to purchase the voucher to place a call into the Hotel to check availability before purchasing the voucher and also, there are terms and conditions which apply to all vouchers bought. You also have an option to get a refund at any stage throughout your voucher limit if dates were not to your suitability. The deal sites also give you the option of getting a refund.

I am sorry again that you were not in a position to book your desired dates and I am glad you were able to get a refund.

Paul Gill.
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, room spacious and clean couldnt fault either. However we did have a meal in the bar and it wasnt pleasant to say the least. It took forever to take our order, and we were waiting ages inbetween courses. We realised it was because there was a few tables in which were sampling dishes for their wedding menus,and all the attention was on them, even the ones that came in after us were getting served before us. To top it off then when our main courses finally came out after almost a 30min wait they were only luke warm at the most so we sent one back. It was a shame the service and food quality in the bar was so poor in comparison to an otherwise very nice hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
obcg, Owner at Claregalway Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Nicki K,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your stay with us during your recent visit to Galway. We are delighted you found our hotel lovely, our team friendly.

However, we are disappointed that you didn’t enjoy your dining experience with us. Please accept my sincere apologies. We appreciate all feedback as we are continuously trying to improve our standards. I would like to assure you that we have taken your comments in relation to the dinner on board and I have brought them to the attention of the Food & Beverage Manager.

We have detailed checks in place to ensure this does not happen again and on the day in question, our standards were not adhered to.

Nicki K, we very much value your custom and we hope you will come back and stay with us again.

Paul Gill
Managing Directors
Also consider these accommodations in or near Claregalway
The Arches Hotel, Claregalway
#11 of 45 in Galway
Clybaun Hotel
Clybaun Hotel
#6 of 45 in Galway

Been to Claregalway Hotel? Share your experiences!