“Truly Amazing”

Forest Falconry
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Landford
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A Totally hands on adventure! Forest Falconry is based on our exclusive 12 acre woodland site, which is home to over 50 species of Birds of Prey, including Eagles, Owls, Hawks and Falcons. We aim to make your day with us truly memorable in a fun but informative way, with plenty of hands on, as you help train and fly these majestic creatures. 'Half day' and 'Full day adventures' available to book on our website www.forestfalconry.com Gift vouchers are also available to purchase for that special person.
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'm not sure it's possible to explain just how good the experience is but I guess the title gives it away. It's by far the most fun I've had for years. The birds are beautiful, the instructors are friendly and you get plenty of hands-on time and information about the birds. The atmosphere is very relaxed (which probably explains why the birds are so happy to interact and you get the chance to see their personalities shine), the setting is lovely and I would recommend it for anyone (don't forget your camera) - it's something I would like to repeat again myself!

1  Thank Sampson33
"last year"
in 3 reviews
"knowledgeable staff"

Reviewed July 16, 2013

My family bought me a full day experience for my birthday last November but I only booked the experience recently. What can I say? From the moment we stepped out of our car at 9.30 until the moment we left at 4pm it was absolutely brilliant. My wife accompanied me as a spectator to take those all important photos and she was treated just us much as a participant as myself - fully involved and close up to those magnificent birds. We didn't get to meet the lovely Karen but on the phone she was so pleasant and helpful you just knew it was going to be a great day. We were looked after by Karen's husband Keith and his colleague Ian. Both were engaging and knowledgeable and the time just flew (sorry!). It was a real hands on event. I didn't feel like a paying customer. I felt as though I was part of their world. Keith & Ian were keen to make sure that everyone got the most out of their time there. In the morning there were six of us flying the birds, each accompanied by a partner. This was a very nice size group and apparently this is the maximum. After a quick talk amongst magnificent eagles, falcons, kestrels and owls it was on with the gloves and time to start flying. We started off with the Asian wood owl before moving on to a barn owl. Each one being trained to fly to the glove and take the offered food. Then we were off through the woods with Pee Wee the Harris Hawk. His agility through the trees was a sight to behold & will long be remembered. After a very nice lunch at the nearby Shoe Inn (accompanied by Enzo, a Lanner Peregrine cross) it was on to the bigger birds in the afternoon. For the afternoon it was just myself and my wife as the group from the morning were only doing a half day. The afternoon passed in a blur of brilliant birds - a golden eagle, a ferruginous hawk and my particular favourite, Magda the Scottish Peregrine falcon. This did not feel like a "visitor experience". It felt like a proper hands on full day of falconry. I cannot recommend the this experience highly enough. Thank you to Karen, Keith and Ian for making it an absolutely superb day - one of the best.

1  Thank JohnnyM1111
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had a really lovely day at Forest Falconry. It was fasinating to get up close to the birds and see them in action. The owner and staff have a passion for their work and clearly care a great deal about the birds and their welfare. I was given the day as a gift and my partner spent time trying to find a well managed place and he chose well. The day started with an introduction to the birds and then we were able to help fly/feed various birds - owls, hawk, harrier and eagle. Nice lunch also provided at the local pub. It was a relaxed day and Keith and Ian had plenty of stories to tell.

1  Thank Amanda1357
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I bought the experience for a Christmas present for my husband who loves birds of prey etc, I was less enthusiastic about the day when I arrived, however I was totally amazed at the knowledge and passion that the falconer s displayed. We were greeted and immediately felt at ease in our small group, we met, held and learnt so much about the birds and the falconer s were friendly and approachable. Even though on paper the days experience looks quite expensive it really was worth every penny and we definitely will do the whole day again. Highly recommend this fantastic experience.

2  Thank Sasperellalady
See more reviews
Reviewed March 10, 2013

A full-day of falconry was bought for me and my future wife as an engagement present from my parents. I wasn't expecting much, as I have been on other experience days and come away disappointed, but that was not the case with Forest Falconry. As soon as we turned up, we were shown the birds, and after a brief introduction, the staff had the birds flying to our gloved hands. They started with the smaller birds, a Tawny Owl, and a Dusk Barn Owl, to build confidence in having a bird of prey sat on your arm, before moving onto a Harris Hawk and a Siberian Eagle Owl - all before lunch! Lunch was at the amusingly named Shoe Inn, and a falcon was brought along to sit with us whilst we ate (the meal was included in the price of the day). The food was good (chicken and bacon pie in my case), and it gave the Forest Falconry staff an opportunity to tell us more about the birds and falconry in general. After lunch, we flew some falcons and eagles, culminating in the very large Golden Eagle. If we had started with the Golden Eagle, it might have been quite intimidating (it is a very large bird), but as we had progressed through birds of increasing size, it was no problem at all, so we could focus on just how amazing these birds of prey are. The groups sizes are kept small (5 people including us in our case), and everybody is given plenty of opportunities to handle the birds, and when they aren't flying to you, the photos you can take are great! I would strongly recommend a day with Forest Falconry.

1  Thank DrPaP