“Poor Service”
Review of The Duck Yard

The Duck Yard
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dinton
The Duck Yard
Ranked #5 of 6 Dinton B&B and Inns
Settle, United Kingdom
“Poor Service”
Reviewed August 24, 2008

I was travelling to Wiltshire to drop my son off at his Army barracks and decided I would stay over night, visit Stonehenge and make a lovely weekend of the trip given that my birthday was also fast approaching. I found The Duck Yard listed in Alastair Sawdays Special Places book and e-mailed the owners a week in advance of the date I needed the room.

The owners very promptly mailed back and confirmed availability for the night I needed and i responded again by e-mail asking them to reserve the room for me.

Everything seemed fine and I was really looking forward to my trip. Then at 12:09 on the date I was supposed to be staying I received a further e-mail from the owners stating that if I didn't ring by 12:00 I would be too late!

I rang as soon as I received the e-mail only to be most disappointed to be told that I could no longer have the room - it was too short notice - she couldn't 'clean the room after the current guests had left in time for me to arrive' - I explained that I wouldn't be arriving for another 8 hours yet as I needed to collect my son and then drive from North Yorkshire to Wiltshire. But still the answer was no I'm sorry your too late - no one leaves it this late to book a room.

Well actually they do! So I was left with nowhere to stay - I tried several other places in the area but all were fully booked due to the bank holiday. As it was an unavoidable journey I was left with no option other than to drive there and come straight back - a journey that took over 10 hours!!

My husband did ring the Duck Yard in the afternoon as we were travelling (as a test) to see if they had a vacancy - oddly enough they said they were full that night. All I can think is that they got a better offer from someone who wanted the room for longer!!

What I would say to anyone considering booking this place is don't unless you've got a back up plan.

All I can say to the owners is thanks Mr and Mrs Combes for absolutely nothing!!!!

• Liked — It looked and sounded lovely and was close to the barracks
  • Disliked — the rude knock back at the eleventh hour!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TraceyEckersley

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)

Been to The Duck Yard? Share your experiences!