“Wonderful to have your own sitting room and entrance”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Duck Yard

The Duck Yard
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dinton
The Duck Yard
Ranked #6 of 6 Dinton B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful to have your own sitting room and entrance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Really loved this place, especially as the bluebells were putting on a spectacular show in the woods just behind the house - a short walk felt like stepping straight into a Monet painting. Comfortable sitting room, superb breakfasts and easy going, hospitable hosts and friendly labradors and hens. Quiet location, one OK pub within walking distance. No proper shower and mattresses weren't great, but still a very special, above average, B and B.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennie33

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed at The Duck Yard for two nights while visiting family in Salisbury for a celebration.

Welcomed by Peter with a reviving cup of tea and slice of delicious Simnel cake on arrival, we soon settled in to our warm and comfortable guest annex. The accommodation comprises a sitting room (with wood-buring fire, comfy sofas, chairs, television and tea and coffee etc), upstairs bedroom with two single beds and a bathroom. All very comfortable and spotlessly clean with plenty of space. There is a private guest entrance with off-road parking too. Importantly, we had a couple of very good night's sleep here.

Breakfast was a delight with yogurt and fruit compote, cereals and juice, delicious 'full English' (with eggs from the Duck Yard's chickens - no ducks, unfortunately...) and home-baked bread and marmalade. My perfect breakfast.

Peter and Harriet were very welcoming - as were the two well-behaved family dogs - and we would certainly recommend staying with them.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SometimeTraveller
Barnet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

We have stayed in many b and b's but this is one of the finest. Completely private and very spacious with your own sitting room and lovely wood burning stove. An absolute delight. The owner is kind and the breakfast is top qua;ity. A real gem of a place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jacqueline W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

What a treasure the duck yard is - Harriet the hostess is so friendly and helpful, her home is so comfortable and the food is as good as you'll find anywhere. Two friendly dogs that you can take walkies, chicken's who lay your breakfast eggs and a setting to soothe ones soul. Splendid stay, just a crying shame i'd only booked for one night and not longer!
The only guest room has twin beds, a huge bathroom and your own private lounge and entrance, so you can freely come and go without interrupting the family. Though they are totally obliging with local information and recommendations.
Bliss

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Surrey-Honey
L'Agulhas, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2011

All great but forgot the milk and on two occasions when looking for the internet password and then the milk for morning tea I could find no one... If you offer internet access then put a notice up with the passowrd? If you say you'll leav ethe milk for morning tea then check!

Otherwise - a superb place and a great breakfast.

Please tell people single beds versus a double or larger.

Suggestion - install a doorbell that alerts you that a tenant is looking for you?

Room Tip: ask for the back room - upstairs and downstairs!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2010

excellent place to stay, i rang to enquire about booking, had quick conformation and spent a very relaxing weekend with my wife. the service and rooms where great and we had freshly cooked homemade bread in the morning. i was sad to have to return to london. i would recommend it to any one

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank weftr
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2008

I was travelling to Wiltshire to drop my son off at his Army barracks and decided I would stay over night, visit Stonehenge and make a lovely weekend of the trip given that my birthday was also fast approaching. I found The Duck Yard listed in Alastair Sawdays Special Places book and e-mailed the owners a week in advance of the date I needed the room.

The owners very promptly mailed back and confirmed availability for the night I needed and i responded again by e-mail asking them to reserve the room for me.

Everything seemed fine and I was really looking forward to my trip. Then at 12:09 on the date I was supposed to be staying I received a further e-mail from the owners stating that if I didn't ring by 12:00 I would be too late!

I rang as soon as I received the e-mail only to be most disappointed to be told that I could no longer have the room - it was too short notice - she couldn't 'clean the room after the current guests had left in time for me to arrive' - I explained that I wouldn't be arriving for another 8 hours yet as I needed to collect my son and then drive from North Yorkshire to Wiltshire. But still the answer was no I'm sorry your too late - no one leaves it this late to book a room.

Well actually they do! So I was left with nowhere to stay - I tried several other places in the area but all were fully booked due to the bank holiday. As it was an unavoidable journey I was left with no option other than to drive there and come straight back - a journey that took over 10 hours!!

My husband did ring the Duck Yard in the afternoon as we were travelling (as a test) to see if they had a vacancy - oddly enough they said they were full that night. All I can think is that they got a better offer from someone who wanted the room for longer!!

What I would say to anyone considering booking this place is don't unless you've got a back up plan.

All I can say to the owners is thanks Mr and Mrs Combes for absolutely nothing!!!!

• Liked — It looked and sounded lovely and was close to the barracks
  • Disliked — the rude knock back at the eleventh hour!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TraceyEckersley
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dinton
The Pembroke Arms Hotel
Howard's House Country Hotel & Restaurant
The Penruddocke Arms Hotel

Been to The Duck Yard? Share your experiences!