“Nothing to rave about”

De Palma Hotel Ampang
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Ampang
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have been to this hotel about five years ago. When I was informed I will be going there again in August 2011, my heart sank because memories of basic amenities and unappetizing food served came to mind!
When I arrived at the hotel, I encountered parking problem; had to park illegally at first just to check in. But managed to park after waiting in the car for about 20 minutes.
Then the second unpleasant encounter - had to wait for such a long time to check in; no welcome greetings from hotel staff. One of my friends was given a room which was already occupied! She panicked and rushed to the lobby to inform the staff, no apology was given.
Food served was slightly better than 5 years ago but still of low quality and variety. Fish served was not fresh, soup was just too salty to swallow and condiments for porridge were just so limited.
Hotel staff is not friendly enough to be in this service industry.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank stage2010
There are newer reviews for De Palma Hotel Ampang

Reviewed October 16, 2010

My brother and I were staying there for 5N/6D because of my adopted brother wedding. The hotel very dirty, very old carpet at room, no bathtub, there was cockroach at room and restaurant (my last breakfast i saw the cockroach walking around the sugar bowl while I wanna took a glass of tea coz self service). Hotel Amenities very low standard, shampoo and shower gel only sachets even at sweet rooms they gave the same very cheap amenities no botol shamppoo and shower gel.

We had same breakfast everyday, coz the hotel didn't change breakfast menu. On my last day, when I asked for omellete, the staff with unfriendly answer said: "no egg today" Almost all guests complaints with this hotel room and services.

• Stayed: October 2010
2  Thank Cheerfulbrightsmile
Reviewed September 28, 2010

OMG.......
what kind of hotel is this, i cant sleep although in couple of minute........
because there's a lot of disruption just like ANT......

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank hussin1992
Reviewed April 23, 2010

If you plan to stay at the De Palma, be warned. Most of the rooms in the hotel are sub standard. My Company had booked one of their premium rooms. I looked on their web page prior to departing Sydney and they loked very nice. The room I was shown bore NO resemblence to their glossy photos on their web page. The room was dirty, the carpet no longer met the walls and there was more cigarette burns in the carpet than carpet. The shower was covered in black mould and the room stunk of disinfectant that obvioud=sly had not been used for anything other than to try and cover up the stail cigarette smell.
I imediatly returned to reception and demanded a better room. I was moved to a room considerably better but certainly NOT one that I saw on their web page.
Be warned there are rooms and rooms at the De Palma. Demand one of their NEW rooms when you book and you will be happy. Staff are friendly and curtious.

Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank MOUNTAINMOK
Reviewed July 2, 2009

It is an excruciating and unfortunate experience for me & my wife to have stayed in this hotel. Though I have to give my credit to the housekeepers for their prompt action when I asked for iron and prayer matt upon my arrival + its location near to a shopping complex, its awful TV reception, poorly maintained room with burnt ironing & cigarette marks on the room’s carpet were in fact unforgiveable and definitely not the kind of value-for-money type of hotel you should be looking for (not to mentioned the cockroaches at the bathroom).

To make it even worst, the customer service especially on the front was abysmal and badly slow as the checking in/out was a messy affair with people all over the counter trying to get their attention since the staffs’ inefficiency requires at least half an hour to entertain 1 customer. They even double booked my room resulting me not getting my requested room though I have made my reservation via internet (like 3 weeks earlier) + reconfirmation via phone (about an hour before arriving).

This is truly one of the worst places particularly on the basis of the customer service in which I have ever had the misfortune to stay. I don't recommend this hotel for family vacation, honeymooners………..or anyone really. Better stay elsewhere next time. Sorry.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank semuaputih
Reviewed September 8, 2007

Just back from a 2 week holiday in Malaysia. After staying at various hotels in and around K. L the De palmas was by far the best. The rooms were spacious cozy and comfortable. The food was superb and the staff were freindly, helpful and always on hand.
the rooms were cleaned everyday and the linnen changed daily.
The hotel was so clean you could eat your dinner off the floor.
The pool and surrounding areas were clean tranquil and the staff were always on hand if you needed them.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank scamal20
Reviewed November 17, 2006

Starting from the moment we checked in, I tried to be positive...until all the minor and major things cropped up. Firstly, the marketing department somehow didn't manage to get my reservations eventhough I did leave all my details after a lengthy 10 minutes call with their marketing officer. Fine, we had a standard room instead of the "executive" floor. Our rooms were pretty standard but the towels were missing. It took 2-3 calls to get 2 pieces of towels. Then our nightmare began...the room walls are paper thin because the cafe downstairs blared with music till the wee hours of the night continued with noisy traffic up till 3am in the morning when all seems calm.

After a tiring night, we had breakfast which is considerably the saving point for the hotel...it was quite good but limited choice...after breakfast, we went back to our room only to find the doors are malfunctioning...the frontdesk people didn't bother much blaming it on the keycard until finally a technician came on the third time of changing the keycard. Thankfully, housekeeping staff and the technicians were friendly and sympathetic to assist our misfortune. Eventually, we checked out turning our supposedly 2 nights into 1. We left with the sour note without an apology from the frontdesk people. My lesson well learnt, pay a little more to get better service. What they showed here is that stay at a three star hotel, we will give u three star service or maybe less in their case....

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank jeremy0
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ampang
No photo provided
DoubleTree by Hilton Kuala Lumpur
Corus Hotel Kuala Lumpur
Corus Hotel Kuala Lumpur
#52 of 346 in Kuala Lumpur

Been to De Palma Hotel Ampang? Share your experiences!