“Best Vegetarian Restaurant in town”
Review of The Origin

The Origin
Ranked #31 of 125 Restaurants in Ampang
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Best Vegetarian Restaurant in town”
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This isn't the first time we go and eat there but I decided it was time to write a review about this little gem of a place. We have eaten there many times and never once have we been disappointed with the food. I would call it fusion. Everything tastes as good as it looks. The dishes resemble exactly to the photos given on the menu which is rare here in Malaysia! The ambiance is wonderful with soothing music in the background. I would recommend this place even for non vegetarian. They do not use gluten and all their green leafy vegetables are organic. They have a small section selling organic products but only dry goods. They do not use onion or garlic in their dishes and non alcoholic beverages is sold in their premises. Do try them...you will not be disappointed. :)

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Maitheng

Kuala Lumpur
“Great vegetarian restaurant”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

One of the best vegetarian restaurant in town. The dishes are good, staff are friendly. A bit difficult to find but worth it

• Visited January 2013
3 Thank Cajoley
Paris, France
“Fresh, innovative and delicious; the best vegan food ever enjoyed in Asia”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

The Origin is a little bit hidden, but once you find it, you will not regret the trip. This restaurant offers mainly whole-foods vegan fare and a few (but not many) dishes containing also dairy. The ingredients are fresh and the portions, plentiful, many served with brown rice (oh, they do have white rice, too). The originality of the cuisine lies in the combinations of ingredients with sauces and glazes as well as spices in fresh and new tastes; the food feels healing and delicious all at once. Among the four of us, we had fresh spring rolls, vegan curry, tofu soup, black mushroom casserole, all delicious. Also warmly recommend one of the fresh herbal teas.

The staff and the owners go out of they way in helpfulness - for instance, the restaurant owner's husband ran out to fetch a taxi for us - and the service is surprisingly speedy (not always the case in vegan or vegetarian restaurants in Occident). Prices more than reasonable (we paid 130 RM for four people). The decor is simple and the ambiance, very peaceful and quiet - we all got home feeling incredibly serene.

The restaurant also sells items such as tamari and organic blueberry jam, herbal teas and lovely teapots (but nobody is pushing them, you need to take a look - they are very reasonably priced) so take an extra bag with you if you feel like bringing yourself or someone special a gift.

Warmly recommend The Origin for the delicious food, friendliness and serene feelings.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Anu Maarit S
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“A very nice vegetarian restaurant in KL”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had visited this restaurant during it's early opening stages but was unable to dine there during brunch time (11.30am) as they only opened @ 12 noon but went today as I saw that it had good reviews her & there was no regrets! I had button mushrooms with brown rice, my wife the 'rojak' & my son the spaghetti bolognese & a mushroom soup shared by the 3 of us & we all finished our food. We like the owners & the staff because they were polite & accommodating & recommended dishes according to my special diet requirements! This place is now on my regular visit list & I'm glad to recommend them for their good food & reasonable prices!They also sell organic & non organic vegetarian items but some of the items sold do contain egg so please do look out for the ingredients list on the products!

My 2nd visit was to celebrate my son's birthday & on this ocassions we had more people & they're good cooks & I'm glad to report that my guests was happy with the food provided even though they were non vegetarian. We had a taste of Pumpkin with Cereal Oats, Sambal petai, Chinese Sauce 3 Mushrooms, An Eggplant Dish & Asam Laksa. My Mum who is a non vegetarian & a good cook & from penang was quite impressed with their Assam Laksa & thus I would dare recommend it. The meal for 6 adults & 1 child was very reasonable for the ambiance, organic vegetarian & good service! For me it's a personal recommendation! And I'm adding an extra Star making the overall rating from very good to excellent based on today's meal!
Updated from previous review on Friday March 16, 2012

• Visited March 2012
5 Thank KLMystic
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
“Very polite and decent staff, and of course nice food.”
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We visited this restaurant last weekend, We were served with great patience and sincerity. The environment was so quite and tastefully decorated. Must try the Asam Laksa...!!!

• Visited July 2012