Open today: 11:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Review Highlights
Fantastic views and excellent guides

Reviewed July 11, 2018
Spaedtke
Stockholm, Sweden
via mobile
Amazing experience

Reviewed March 3, 2018
GabiZ111
Vienna, Austria

All reviews hour tour great guide hotel room great visit interesting facts under ground bring a sweater small museum meters life songs mines sights elevator possibility paths environment
Reviewed September 12, 2018

Up front... we tried to complain at the office after the tour, but did not get to speak to anyone in charge.

Three of us went on the two hour tour, which was supposed to be bilingual. Sadly, we were the only English speakers in the group, and I feel we did not get our money's worth. There would be long speeches in Swedish, and then a very few words spoken in English. We tried to ask questions, but the short English summaries continued.

I am sure the guide knew her subject and was very interesting if one was a Swedish speaker. We enjoyed the underground experience, but we felt that we missed out.

2  Thank TriciaAnnW
F0bbe, marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, and that you tell us about the experience you had on the guided tour.

I am sorry to hear the tour was not what you had expected. And when I read what you write in your review I understand how you must have felt. I am really sorry about this.

The bilingual tour is not supposed to be carried out in that way you describe it. The guide is supposed to tell the same story in both languages, if possible in a fluent way eliminating unnecessary waiting time and, second best, as a story in one language after the same story in the other one. Just summaries should not occur at all (if that has not been agreed upon in advance, of course).

I will take this further to those responsible for the tours and I am quite sure this matter will be discussed further.

Dispite the situation described here I really hope we meet again in the future. Welcome back!

Kind regards, Fobbe, Sala Silvermine

Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

Went on the long 4 hour tour with lunch. The guide was really good and knowledgable and answered all questions without blinking.

The views in the different caverns were fantastic and the different “exhibitions” made underground were nice.

Food was good as well.

Overall nothing bad to say about the tour :)

F0bbe, marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2018

Thanks for grading and reviewing us. And with five out of five! That makes me really happy!

Good to hear you had such a nice time on the 4-hour long Great Mine Tour, or - as we also call it - "the Most of Sala Silvermine". The guides really love their jobs and "their" mine and that is often quite noticable during the mine tours. And I agree: the views in the mine are majestic.

I do hope we meet again soon at the Sala Silvermine. We are open all year around and we have quite many events coming up in autumn and winter - some dedicated to children and some, such as the christmans concerts, buffets and the Christmas market, a little more fore adults or the whole family.

Welcome back!

Kind regards, Fobbe, Sala Silvermine

Reviewed March 3, 2018

I joined the tour "In the footsteps of miners" and was so lucky to be the only one there (adventages of sightseeing off-season), so that was like a "private" tour ;). The guide was really positive, presenting in an interesting and funny way the history of the mine and how the work of the miners looked like. The mine itself is really impressive and it's a really a great experience to go underground and be able to see it all.

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2018

Thanks Gabi, for this wonderful review!

First of all I am so glad to hear you had such a great experience, and that you liked the guide. Our experienced guides are really devoted to the mine and always like to show it to our visitors. This positivsm can most often be noticed during the mining tours.

On the "Gruvdrängen" (= "Miner's") tour, also called "in the footsteps of miners", we try to focus as strictly as we can on the hard lives and work of the former silver miners. Outside of the busy season that might happen what you experienced on your ordinary mining tour: you are lucky to get a private tour without any extra fees! (Although this situation is quite rare I have to add.)

The "Gruvdrängen" tour is one of the four ordinary tours we offer in the mine. There is a variety of content in the different tours, such as connections to Swedish and global history on the "Bergmästaren" tour - or more general information such as "Sala Silvermine in an hour" on the "Stigaren" tour, to give some examples. And not to forget: in the beginning of July we kick-start our special language summer tours, "Bergenstierna" and "Lillienberg", given only in English plus in another language, mostly German.

Welcome back to Sala Silvermine in the future.

Reviewed December 10, 2017 via mobile

During this weekend and december 13th the excellent "Gruvfolkskören" (choir) is singing and performing in the Victoria hall -155 m below groundlevel. The music programme is a well balanced mixture of traditional Christmas songs, Bellman and mine workers related songs. The place is extra ordinary, via an slow- moving escalator, a number of tunnels we finally enters into a "cathedral" with rough rocket walls which was created several hundred years ago. The acoustic is very special and it probably requires and extra effort from the choir and conductor to handle it. To visit this event really creates a nice "Christmas feeling" and at the same time a strong historical connection and respect to all people working under such extreme conditiond for centuries.

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2017

Thank you so much for this kind review, Christer!

I understand you have visited the Lucia Concert Underground. I couldn't have described the event better myself. Just a tiny correction: there is no escalator in the mine, but an elevator. But you are right when you say it is slow. ;) It takes more than 4 minutes to reach the Ulrica Eleonora Mine at 155 meters. The descent is carried out in the oldest still intact shaft of the mine; the Knekt Shaft - which probably was started on already in 1604.)

We have really tried to gather a number of Christmas events in one place, such as the Lucia Concerts you mention, but also with a number of various typical Swedish Christmas Buffets above ground.

I really hope we meet here soon again, and I wish you welcome back to us in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2017

The walking tour in the deep is great. Tours are avaiable in different languages. The guides are friendly and know everything about the mining history of silver in sweden.

It is very cold down there, so better bring a sweater.

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2017

Thank you so much for grading and reviewing us!

I guess you went on the "Bergmästaren" tour - a two hour tour on the 155 meter (500 feet) level underground. A good choice! On that tour we connect the story of the mine together with Swedish national history. And on this tour you get to visit some really interesting places, such as the underground restaurant lounge, the World's Deepest Hotel Room - the Mine Suite, as well as the Victoria Hall, where we host concerts (e.g. the Lucia underground concerts - not to be missed!)

I hope we meet again soon at the Sala Silvermine. Welcome back!

Reviewed October 28, 2017 via mobile

We had a great morning adventure. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the location is dog friendly with some great walks around all the other mining experiences. Give yourself a day to explore all the fascinating memorabilia of this mining villages coffee shop, restaurant, mines, tours, villages and walks.

Thanks for grading and reviewing us!

I am so happy to hear you had a great experience with us!

Yes, the mining surroundings are perfect for a beautiful and picturesque stroll - with or without the dog. And the area is also perfect for guided tours. While most of our mining tours are underground we also have a variety of tours and activities above ground.

As you mention there is the restaurant but there are also the gift shop, souvenir shop and mining museum. And in the summer season we offer the Time Traveler Tour as well as the guided Tractor Tour above ground. And, not to forget, we also have the High Wire Adventure Track with its Cable Way.

I hope you are soon with us again. Welcome back!

Reviewed October 11, 2017 via mobile

I've been on two of the tours in these mines, not sure what they are called but one of them was all the way down with elevator and one was halfway down by foot.
I really preferred the halfway one! More of a challenge, and alot more exiting paths with shafts going overhead and underfoot. The guide was good, and apart from getting a little bit stuck on the way up it was a flawless experience!
The deeper tour is alot easier, no climbing stairs or slippery floors, but also not as fun for me. You get to visit the hotel room way down below, and look up the big shaft.
Both were good, but if you're able to then take the halfway one!

Thanks for reviewing and grading us!

The halfway guided tour you went on is probably the "Stigaren" tour. I am so glad to hear you enjoyed it! And I agree with your: this tour is a bit more challenging yet exciting and interesting.

We have worked a lot with shaping the tours to have something to offer everyone. Hence we do have a variety of guided tours - underground as well as above ground. From the Konstknekten tour - a glimpse of a silver mine - to the Great Mine Tour - a four hour experience including a soup dinner underground. And of course some special tours now and then, too, such as the one-hour tour Bergenstierna Christmas Special to be combined with the Swedish Christmas Dinner Buffet served in our restaurant in November and December.

I do hope we meet again soon. Welcome back!

Reviewed September 14, 2017

The Sala silver mine is an exhiting sight that gives you an insite in mining in older times. There is several diferent mine tours that one can choose between from a Childrens tour of 35 minutes to a 4 hour tour with dinner down underground, as Deep down as 155 meters. We chose a one hour tour down to 60 meters depth. It was really interesting and we had a great guide. The one hour tour was very suitable for us because we had Children with us (age 8, 10, 12 and 14).

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Thank you so much for this great revew,

I couldn't have described the activities better myself! And I am really glad to hear you had a really interesting visit underground in the mine. We always try our best to be able to offer suitable guided tours and activities to our visitors.

Especially for children I can recommend the "Little Adventure for Kids", which you mention as well. That tour is given next time during the Halloween Break, Oct 28 - Nov 5 along with the brand new tour "Gruvfrun" (in English: "The Mine Lady"), to mention some of the exiting activities offered druing that week. Hope to see you soon again and welcome back!

Reviewed August 20, 2017

I grew up not far away from Sala but for a variety of reasons I hadn't visited Sala Silvergruva until now. And, wow, had I missed something. I had scheduled the Bergmästaren tour which is two hours long and takes you down 155 meters below ground. I was very lucky as I was the only person on that particular tour (high season is over). Instead of cancelling or rescheduling me to another tour I got to take the tour alone with the guide. I would like to thank the Sala Silvergruva staff for this - it gave me a extraordinary experience. The mine can be a truly magical place, especially when it's quiet and you can only hear the sounds from the earth itself. I can only imagine the sound experience wouldn't have been quite this great with a large group of people (some advice to the marketing people they could sell such luxury tours). The guide sang some old mining hymns. With the sounds echoing off the walls in one of the larger rooms it was just beautiful! The tour took us through many tunnels, rooms, and shafts. The guide told an interesting history about the mine, the people who worked in it, and the kings they worked for. All in all it was great!

At the end I spent some time in the museum. Although interesting I think it could be expanded and modernized a bit. The gift shop was pretty small too - or maybe I'm getting used to the ones in the US that are full with mugs, fridge magnets and the like.

Finally, a shout-out to the guide Sofia. You were fantastic!

Andreas V, Marketing at Sala Silvergruva, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2017

Thanks for this great review, Martin!

I am so happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. And that you share the experience with us. I can only agree with you on your description of the Bergmästaren tour. And about the luxury tours: we are open for several solutions in this field, such as "rent a guide for a day" when possible. And of course we should not forget the possibility to stay the night underground in the "World's Deepest Hotel Room", the Mine Suite at 155 meters. In that package a private tour is included for those who wish.

About the mining museum discussions have taken place for some time about the issues you mention. We will continue to work for a development there.

When we meet here next time I can recommend the Great Mine Tour, which is a 4-hour tour underground where you get to see most of the mine at once - and heat up with a fresh soup lunch underground in the middle of the tour.

I will make sure that Sofia will get to read this review.

Thanks again and welcome back!

Reviewed August 12, 2017 via mobile

I really enjoyed going down in the mines. The guides are really friendly and fun, and you will learn really interesting things. I would have liked more things about the life of the miners, the equipment, their dwelling and so on, and I was disappointed that the small museum is only in swedish, but still a great visit.

Thanks for your great review!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the your visit with us. And thanks for telling us what information you wanted to hear more of. I am not sure which tour you joined, but the focus may vary on the different kinds of tours. On the tour "Gruvdrängen" is focused on the miners and their hard lives and work in particular. On the other hand that tour is most often given in Swedish only. I take note of your advise and pass it on to those responsible for the tours.

About the mining museum this issue has been discussed for some time. Until we have decided upon how to present the musem exhibitions in various languages in the best way, we offer booklets in English and German which are free to use while visiting the museum. In those you have most of the all-year-around exhibition translated into those languages. But, as said, we are aware of this issue and we are working on it.

Thanks again for your great review. Hope to see you soon again with us. Welcome back!