“Poor stay”
Review of Inn at Ardgour

Inn at Ardgour
Ranked #1 of 2 Ardgour B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We stayed at the Inn in September. We chose the hotel as it was dog friendly. We arrived on a very stormy day and were offered no help with luggage etc. we checked in and were given a key and some directions to our room. We found our room, we were soaked through after getting our own luggage from the car in the storm. The room was directly opposite the ferry terminal and you could hear every announcement all day from 06.00 to after 22.00hrs. Inside the room we noticed that it was a little smaller than expected but cosy, then we tried the bed which was a double and quite creaky, then we noticed that the duvet was no bigger than a single duvet. not a great start. We were booked for 2 nights and decided to stay as there are not too many doggy hotels nearby.

On leaving I asked to settle the bill, I was presented a bill which was in the wrong name, I asked for it to be changed and was given a blank stare and then a business card of the manager and asked to email him with details and he would change the bill and reissue it to me. I left bemused and some days later sent an email to the manager/owner explaining the issue and how I felt I had been treated. I got an immediate response from him with a torrent of abuse and explanation of why his wife had been offhand when I asked her to change the bill. To be quite frank I couldn't care less about his wife troubles or workload, all I wanted was a corrected bill which I have not yet received some 7 months later despite various emails. It may be close to the ferry but there are other discovered hotels within 5 to 10 mins drive that could be tried.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank SeanandLynn
highlife, Owner at Inn at Ardgour, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. To reply to the issues you have raised. We offer everyone help with luggage from reception to their room. If you were not offered that help, I am sorry. We do not offer help with luggage from car park to hotel. We are a country Inn, not a five-star hotel with valet parking. The ferry noise is not something we can do anything about. We are located next to a ferry terminal, there will always be noise when the ferry is on our side which happens twice an hour for about ten minutes at a time. The ferry runs from 0630 hours until 2130 hours ( I'll put the incorrect times of the ferry in your review down to a tendency for exagerration), so there is no noise from it outside of these times. Some people find it intrusive, some do not. We do not hide where we are and do not say there is not some noise from the ferry. Under no circumstances have we, or would we ever, put a single duvet on a double bed. That would be daft. I'll put that comment down to you being prone to exaggeration. The bill you were given was in the name on the booking. You asked for a new bill in a different name to that given on the booking and to the name given when checking in. We are not allowed to do that as my wife rightly told you. The cctv footage of your exchange with my wife showed you laughing, smiling and nodding. We checked when we received your email. When she hands you my business card, you can clearly be seen smiling and nodding your head. At no point do you look bemused. In you email to me a few days later, you called my wife dumb and said she was unintelligent and didn't know what she was doing. In my reply, I pointed out that she speaks three languages fluently, has finished education to a high standard and now helps me run a business as well as looking after two children under ten. Therfore not unintelligent or dumb. I was not rude. Short and curt yes, but not rude. You have never sent me any more emails. I'll put that reference to imaginary emails down to your tendency to exagerate. I don't have wife troubles so don't be so rude as to say I do. You know nothing of my life or marriage. As for the amended bill you want so you can "put it through the books", you'll have a lot more than seven months to wait for that. Enjoy the other hotels in the area.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed here one night during a trip up north and were generally happy with our stay.

The good points were that the Inn is in a really nice location, you get the Corran Ferry over (frequent service, £7 one way) and the staff were all very friendly. The rooms themselves are fairly small (it is an old building so this is to be expected) but well kept, however the walls aren't so thick and my wife had trouble sleeping due to the man next door snoring very loudly. We stayed Saturday-Sunday so no early morning ferry (ferry starts at 6.30am most days but 8.30am Sunday) to wake us up which was a shame.

Food wise we felt breakfast which was included with the room was good (full Scottish breakfast with help yourself cereal and juices as well as more toast on request), but the dinner we ate the night before in the Inn's pub/restaurant wasn't really worth the money. We ordered a steak and ale stew and a smoked haddock and bacon salad off the chef's recommended menu which was local produce (the regular menu was just things that were bought in whatever that means) and whilst it was OK, it felt much like the food you get in a chain pub but with a slightly higher price. The chips with the stew were just the standard frozen chips that were fried, the veg was just boiled with little favour and whilst the stew was very tender and tasty, there wasn't much of it. The haddock was tasty albeit a bit too salty (I like salty food but this was a bit much after a while) and there didn't appear to be any dressing on the salad. If each main had been a few pounds cheaper it would probably have been worth it.

We would stay here again, but probably eat before arriving. I'd rather spend a bit more for food that was better and I heard there were some good seafood restaurants at Loch Carron that whilst being pricey, were well worth it. Next time we'll give that a bash.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 3, 2013

All the things the staff can influence make for a good stay at the inn (welcome, food, cleanliness are all good). The setting offers gorgeous views too. Unfortunately the age of the building means creaky floors above and quite thin walls. The ferry starts at 6.30am - better than an alarm clock!
I sleep soundly through everything but my partner really struggled. We would return but bring earplugs!
A note re the ferry - it's £7 each way for a car. The alternative is a 35mile (!) journey via Fort William on an old twisty rural road. Lovely scenic route by day but scary at night.

Room Tip: Beware the noisy ferry.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maddie_Chez
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We used this hotel as a stop-off en route to Skye. Ideal location with a lovely little boat trip across - just step off the boat and you're at the door! Nice little hotel, did just the job. Pleasant staff. Quirky little place with great views.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 20, 2013

If you are going here...you can get to the hotel via a 2 min ferry ride that runs every half hour (pretty much) and costs £7..... we didnt know this and endured a pretty tortuous drive around the loch.....!!! just thought i would mention this first :-)

The hotel is directly opposite the ferry terminal, so you literally drive off the ferry and into the car park. Sweet hotel, great staff - and very reasonably priced....the views from our bedroom were spectacular...I will post one in a moment.....def recommend

Room Tip: If you can get a room with view over the loch, its worth it
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

The route, through the Highlands, to Ardgour is spectacular. One of Scotland's most scenic journeys. When we arrived at the Corn Ferry we could see the Inn just over the Loch. We had a wonderful view from the window of our comfortable room, great food, pleasant company and helpful staff. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Didnt stay over but visited for food, vegetarian option was truly disgusting, packet couscous with four mushrooms and supermarket sauce poured over, avoid if you can!
Other options were fairly average, Good sized portions and a brilliant location though.
Locals were very friendly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jag1876
highlife, Owner at Inn at Ardgour, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

I am sorry you did not enjoy our food and thought the other food your party had was "average". We try to maintain a good standard of food and are always disappointed when people do not enjoy it. There will be a review of the dish you have mentioned and any neccessary changes will be made.

One question. While you were here, you and your party were asked repeatedly if the food was ok. Everyone said words ranging from "lovely" to "fantastic" with a couple of "excellents" thrown in. When you all left, one of your party said you had all had a great time and that the meal was super. Surely mentioning at the time that your meal was "terrible" and "disgusting" and therefore giving us the chance to respond and rectify would have been better for all parties?

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardgour
Onich Hotel
Ballachulish Hotel
Ballachulish Hotel
#3 of 3 in Ballachulish
Isles of Glencoe Hotel & Leisure Centre

Been to Inn at Ardgour? Share your experiences!