“Lovely interesting stay”
Review of Moka Hotel

Moka Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Las Terrazas
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a one night stay in 2 rooms (family of 4) neither of which let in rain even though we were on the top floor and had the most torrential rain in the evening. We thought that although a little worn in places, the room was clean, atmospheric and a good experience. We felt we were immersed in a rain forest. The reception lady was very welcoming, although the admin on our Terrazzas tour was a little ragged it all worked out. I think one night is enough as long as you pre plan your tour/time here. The breakfast was good but we decided to eat at the vegetarian place which we did not regret. Cannot comment on value as part of an overall package

Room Tip: We had rooms 35/36 and think on the 3rd floor is better. Interesting ceiling and not so "in the...
There are newer reviews for Moka Hotel

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at La Moka for 2 nights during our trip touring Cuba.

Plus points: lovely surroundings, able to go out walking in the countryside. Fantastic trip around the local community with a lovely local guide called Idalme. Very peaceful and relaxing. Rooms comfortable and the air con worked (was noisy though). Staff friendly and helpful, the lady in the restaurant was lovely if you took the time to speak to her.

No so good: food in restaurant could do with a rethink. It was well cooked and hot but could do with a few more dishes.

Overall I loved the place and would have liked to spend another day there

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank redkaz21
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Beautiful spacious rooms in a hotel built above the village of Las Terrazas. A 'model' village, we called it concrete village (betondorp). Beautiful surroundings, quiet. Good service, the receptionists speak english. During the thunderstorms it became obvious that the ceiling of one of our rooms was not waterproof ... resulting in a wet television set. Although the staff were informed, they didn't act on it.
Two restaurants, one next to the pool with a small but adequate menu, the other one we didn't try but for breakfast (not so good, even for Cuban standards).
Laundry service: when requested, the chambermaid will take it home and take care of it. To be paid directly.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at Las Terrazas for 2 nights as part of our tour of Cuba. Staying in Las Terrazas is a good way of getting a feel of how ordinary Cubans live so in that respect I am pleased we stayed here.

I would rate this hotel as average as far as standard of accommodation is concerned. My room was big enough and was spotlessley clean. The bed was not the most comfortable of beds though and the room got very chilly at night time. Recommend you make sure you have lots of spare blankets available in the room, as you will need these. The shower in my en-suite was not great. As there was no plug for the bath, it was a shower or nothing. The water pressure was non-existent. On the morning that I did manage to get some water to shower in, it was too cold. The hot water tap was on, but it was colder than luke warm.

Their bar on the outdoor terrace is nice enough and the drinks are very cheap. Tough it does get chilly on the terrace though.

Dinner in the hotel restaurant on the first night was not bad. There was a limited choice but my dish was nice enough. I opted for a vegatarian pasta dish and you could tell that the sauce for the pasta was made fresh from scratch. Breakfast in the morning was very good. Although there was not as much choice here as there was in other hotels that we stayed at in Cuba, this food was the freshest. They prefer to put small amounts of food out at any one time and top up more regularly. This meant the food was fresh and any hot food (such as scrambled eggs) was hot. (I did also stay in some 5 star hotels elsewhere on this trip that did a buffet breakfast and the supposed hot eggs at the other hotels were stone cold).

I was not aware of any lifts there and we did therefore had to carry our luggage up quite a few flights of stairs to get to our room, although you can ask for assistance with this (at a charge).

i'd rate this place as better than a youth hostel - with 3 star quality. All in all, I think this hotel was good enough for the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Miranda C
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Due to previous poor reviews we decided to only spend one night at Moka which was the right decision. We had two rooms on the first floor just about reception #36/37 and they were good, clean, two double beds in each, decent bathroom and terrace. I didn't investigate staying in a casa as other reviews said the hotel was special because of the tree house effect but it is just a large tree in reception and nothing more.

Talking to other travellers though I think it is difficult to find a casa because the village was built to a set mode and it appears to me that all the casas (apartments) are almost identical. It is worth going to the area to go on a walking tour, swim in the local pools etc and see the project but the main issue is that you can only go on a tour in the morning. If you arrive just after lunch like we did then you are told you have to wait until the next morning and then take a three hour tour starting at 9am. We pushed back on this because we had to leave early the next morning and so the hotel did organise a 1hr tour at 8am. They said we had to be finished by 9am so the guide could start his regular tour but the reality was our guide was free all morning and could have spent longer with us.

We avoided the restaurant apart for breakfast which was poor, the eggs and bread are ok. We did go to the fantastic vegetarian restaurant everyone raves about, it is unbelievable that it is state owned and run. Maria's café just next door is also good for coffee.

The pool area is not great (Vinales is much better) and was full of local Cubans picnicking even though it was midweek, as always the music was constant and very loud.

One final point when we arrive at 2pm we were told our room would not be ready until 4ish and could we come back later! we said absolutely not as we were leaving the next morning and they did then immediately find the two good rooms I have already mentioned.

2  Thank Woodster2012
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Let's drop political correctness for a moment for the sake of frankness and honesty: Hotel Moka is an utter dump.

This place might have been acceptable for vacationing Cubans in the 1980s, but it is unacceptable in this day and age for anybody.

Okay, the surrounding forest is beautiful, but there are other beautiful forests in Cuba.

The hotel is dilapidated with no chartm whatsoever, the food absolutely vile, the mojito was so insipid it was left undrunk and the live music was the worst I heard in a fortnight in Cuba.
If you are unfortunate enough to be allocated a "community room", then I suggest you just get back in your car and drive to Havana. If I hadn't had 3 Buccaneros at lunch time that's what I would have done.
My "community room" involved being billeted in some local's house, suffering her noisy brats and having to negotiate her kitchen to access my room. If I want a casa particulare then I get one, if I want a hotel then I do likewise, here it was a miserable midway without the advantages of either.

There is nothing to do other than observe what could have been an enlightened experiment in social engineering, but the reality is alot of drunk locals although they did kindly offer me, in this order: a horse? a chica? a chico? Any of these would have been an improvement on Hotel Moka.

The aircon was so dysfunctional that I was awoken at 4am and so I just left without waiting for what would have surely been a dreadful breakfast.

Really a waste of a night in Cuba. Totally unacceptable. Don't let your tavel agent try telling you otherwise.

Dont'go!

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, just avoid at all cost!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank ridger r
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Horrendous example of how to get tourists not to enjoy themselves. Shabby rooms with rats, spiders and insects, a shower next to a window with no blinds, horrible food and the slowest receptionist in the world! Took him 45 seconds to pick up some receipts and put them to a side. Trully amazing in a horrible way. It seemed like we were brought to the hotel to see what an amazing accomplishment the reserve and the tourism development is. It is so far from the truth. Our tour would have been fantastic if we had skipped staying 3 nights at the hotel and just visited the biosphere reserve instead.
The natural resources within which the hotel is located is beautiful and the bar man is amazing! He alone rated four stars!

Room Tip: Visit the area but skip the hotel.
1  Thank Phaza
#2 of 80 in Havana
Hotel Maria La Gorda
Hotel Maria La Gorda
#8 of 14 in Pinar del Rio Province

Been to Moka Hotel? Share your experiences!