“Good stopping point”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Las Terrazas
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good stopping point”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I did enjoy staying at this hotel. It was great fun have a tree growing through the lobby of the hotel. Wonderful views from the rooms and the bar. The vegetarian restaurant on the site was very good and the staff were really friendly and helpful. Maria's Cafe was a great place to get a great coffee.
The rooms were comfortable, if a little cold at night. I think this was because the air conditioning did not work in the room. Don't expect luxury at this hotel, but what do you expect in Cuba. I just suggest you have a jumper with you in the evening if you sit in the bar as it is all open air. One negative thing was the steps from the hotel to the rest of the complex did not have a rail which made it a bit dangerous especially at night, as the steps were steep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Situated in the Sierra Del Rosario Nature Reserve this hotel requires revitalizing and a new cook, It's is a great location and I highly recommend spending a few days having a good look around the reserves and surrounding district. Maria's coffee shop is a must, just down the back stairs of the hotel and across the road. The organic vegetarian restaurant and the Orchid garden are other must see. I would not recommend eating at the Hotel as the food is very basic.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hitchin
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel was a big contrast to the Iberostar in Trinidad, but it was nonetheless enjoyable. We had an unusual room but it was comfortable with a nice view of the lake and trees. The food was adequate though not exciting. We had dinner one evening in the Vegetarian Restaurant nearby and that was first class. We had a swim in the pool - it was cold - and walked up and down lots of steps to see the village and the site of the French coffee plantation. We had a pleasant evening in the bar, with large cheap drinks and a friendly band to entertain us. So it was a different but enjoyable experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Tetbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

A three-night stay in February by my husband, a friend, and myself.

The setting is pretty. Lots of trees, a couple of lakes, some attractive cottages. The hotel, from the entrance side, is easy on the eye (less so when viewed from the village). The rooms are acceptable and quite comfortable, with bathrooms looking out on to the trees and the village (no one can see in through the windows - I think!) Plenty of hot water. Chambermaids are friendly and keep the rooms to a good standard of cleanliness. The restaurant was actually a lot better than we had expected and we took all our meals there, partly because we were all quite ill with stomach bugs and had to be careful about what we ate.

Unfortunately, we didn't enjoy our stay very much. I have to agree with a recent reviewer from Cagliari on lots of points concerning the eco side of the place. Loud music until VERY late at night. The apartment blocks are unsightly, especially from the rear. And the smaller lake also had quite a lot of plastic bottles thrown into it - plus a pair of sad monkeys imprisoned on an very small island right in the middle of the lake. What's eco-friendly about that?

One morning we went to the pool. Loud TV blaring away, with two barmen talking to each other at the tops of their voices over the TV. No cushions on the loungers. No towels offered. No offer to wipe the soaking wet loungers down. No apparent filtration in the pool. Disgusting, filthy pool toilets.

I would also agree with a reviewer some pages back who commented on the fact that the hotel and the community don't really seem to engage with each other. We went walking on a few occasions round the village, smiling at people we passed, with a "hola" as well - not a lot of response, really. We had the feeling no one was bothered.

When we arrived the reception staff were very helpful. Our friend was extremely sick from food poisoning and they immediately made rooms available for us ahead of time and also sent us to the community clinic where our friend was put on a rehydration drip and her condition stabilised. She did tell them in Spanish that my husband and I had had bad stomach problems for eight days, but they weren't very interested. We were therefore unable to do much the first day as we were not well enough, but in the late afternoon we went to reception and asked if there were any tours we could do the next day. There was no written information available. The gentleman suggested we come back the next day to speak to the woman receptionist who should be able to arrange something. We spoke to her before eight the next morning about this, and her response was to look at us as though we were a nuisance and to tell us that "there are no guides, but come back in half an hour and I might be able to find one." I went back, and she told me - same bored look - "there are no guides." No offer of any trip the next day. No suggestions as to what I might be able to do even if I didn't have a guide. No information at all. Because I knew that I wanted to visit the orchid garden at Soroa nearby, I asked if she could book a taxi for that trip. Yes, that was possible.

When we came to leave the hotel our taxi transfer to Havana didn't materialise, and we asked her to find out from the taxi company if there was a problem. Now, I think that the helpful thing to do would have been to make a phone call and perhaps to offer us some coffee while we waited. Instead, we just sat there with our luggage and she informed us that she would have to charge us for the phone call. Which she did. Allegedly, the taxi had broken down, and a replacement would arrive nearly two hours late. While we were waiting, my husband asked how it was that we had not been able to arrange any tours of Las Terrazas to find out a bit more about the community, and also asked why no information was available. She said (a downright lie): "Oh, I showed your wife all the information." Well, you could have fooled me!

So we won't be going back to Las Terrazas any time soon, but that probably doesn't matter, because it will free up the rooms for the noisy groups who tend to take over the hotel anyway!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel is based in a community and it is important to support such initiatives; for quiet rooms request number 33 to 39.I would recommend the guided tour of the village and then dine on fish at the lake side restaurant which is cheap and wholesome.

Room Tip: Choose rooms number 33 to 39
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mejid
Cheltenham
Reviewed February 28, 2013

There seem to be some negative comments about this place and having been part of a group tour staying at this hotel, it is apparent that the rooms are quite variable. Personally, I had a lovely room with a terrific view. We arrived by bike and it was great to go and have a swim by the nearby river before checking in. We then wandered down to the lake and watched the sun go down wit ha couple of mojitos from a beautiful bar on the lake. In the evening, the local band were great, getting everyone involved in playing music and trying to teach us gringos how to dance (unsuccessfully in my own case!) Breakfast was fine. The pool is quite small but seemed clean to me, and there is a bar next to it which was fine. Also a decent looking tennis court available. This was one of the nicest places I stayed in Cuba. Yes, may not meet 5* international standards but good for Cuba.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Cagliari
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is the first and only hotel we stayed in Cuba. And thankfully, if I may add so. It is supposed to be a close-to-luxury ecoresort. Yeah, rights! First thing first: we had read the entire village of Las Terrazas was built to be in line and as much hidden in the nature as possible. I suppose to Cuban standards white condos with blue shutters means hidden in the nature, then? The hotel, built in the 1990s, has spacious rooms with a view over Las Terrazas. On arrival, a maletero promptly took our suitcases, although we protested we were happy to carry them, and once we were in the room he did not leave until we tipped him. When we left, we did stated we had no money to spare, just in case he would offer the favour again. Our room had two large beds, and a nice balcony, which however needed a good deal of cleaning. The furniture in the room looked a bit old, and like it needed a bit of refreshing. There was a fridge, but it was CLEARLY stated on a sign on it that nothing in it was included in the price we paid for the room. Same thing with the safe (again, it stated "not included"). Satellite tv meant we had the luxury of 4 channels and swimming pool was, in fact, little more than a dirty bath tub. We had a large bathroom, with a bathtub that had a HUGE window in case we wanted to take a bath and at the same time enjoy the view. Pity that the water would not get any warmer than barely lukewarm, so that no bath was really possible. As Cubans seems to have no appreciation for silence and the sounds of nature, loud music was played until late at night, strikingly at odds with the tranquillity one would expect from an eco-lodge. The best part of the eco-lodge is that it is so clean that it is in fact cleaned with BLEACH, which is sweeped over the plants, quite literally. So much for environmental respect. Breakfast was included in the price. It was ok - except for the pancakes which were more similar to chewing gum. The place is somehow isolated, which means that travelling options are scarce. We were asked for 60 CUC to go to the airport, and we eventually negotiated down to 30 when we told the driver that we had arrived the day before from Vinales having paid 20. However I have a feeling the driver was not an authorised one. Overall, I regret even going to Las Terrazas and I would much rather have stayed (for much cheaper) in Vinales.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Royalton Hicacos Varadero Resort & Spa
Memories Jibacoa
Memories Jibacoa
#1 of 3 in Jibacoa

Been to Moka Hotel? Share your experiences!