“very disappointing”

Popiel's
Ranked #4 of 8 Restaurants in Coleman
Cuisines: Canadian, Mexican, Pizza, European, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Fernie
“very disappointing”
Reviewed May 25, 2013

It has been a while since we went to Popiel's and since we were in the area, we thought we would go in for a late lunch/early dinner.
The front end staff were very nice, fast and efficient.
I had the lasagna and my wife had the alfredo without the peppers. I would think that if the customer has asked for no peppers, this should be a clue to the kitchen that maybe this person might not like anything in the line of peppers, including onions or chives. My wife's alfredo was loaded with chives which she had to pick out. If the menu stated that chives were in the sauce, she would have asked for no chives as well as no peppers.
I had the lasagna. I must say that was the most bland lasagna I have ever had. There was a layer of cheese on the top, no cheese inside, loads of noodles and a very watery meat sauce. And as I mentioned, there was no flavor.
For desert.... well lets say it is not made in house and was about the same.... very boring.
Did I tell our server? no, it was not her fault. The meal was not bad....presentation was fine, it just did not taste good.
Will I return? As nice as our server was.... sorry, the meal was not worth it.

• Visited May 2013
Popiels, Owner at Popiel's, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Hello Paul,

As a Front of the House Manager/Owner I'm very to sorry and concern to hear about your last experience at our Restaurant. However, me or the Chef are always around all day long, and I would have appreciate it if you would have let us know so we would have taken immediate action to make your dining experience better.

About our "Complementary Desserts" , I try to keep at least three different choices daily and one or two are made and baked in house by myself, I apologized if the options for the day weren't good enough for your taste.

Finally, I'd like to extend my apologies once again and ask you to possible give us another chance. We would go above and beyond to make up for your last visit. Thanks for your feedback, we can always learn and make it better.

Sally Clark

Vancouver, Canada
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had a lovely lunch with old school friends at Popiel's restaurant in the Crowsnest Pass The restaurant is lovely and clean and the staff are very friendly and outgoing. We were never hurried nor did we feel rushed and our lunches were tasty and beautifully presented

Definitely recommend this restaurant to fellow travelers

• Visited April 2013
Taber
“Fine dining”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's billed as fine dining. Slightly pricey. Glass table tops = bad for toddlers. I don't recommend bringing in your small kids as everyone is there for fine dining. The staff are nice but everytime the kids squeak I feel judged by patrons.

Visited October 2012
calgary
“Front of house issues, inconsistent food”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

OK, I know, it's a Crowsnest Pass stop-over joint. I wasn't expecting fine dining. But if a Husky truck stop can deliver good service and good hearty food, you'd think this place would be able to manage it. Nope. There are issues here.

Décor is cute, and welcoming. Young staff were initially very friendly. Interesting menu. Big, diverse, Ranging from burgers, to fancy entrées, to authentic Mexican(?). We ordered a couple of burgers and a liver and onions (my favourite, a guilty pleasure).

Burgers were good. French onion soup appetiser was stand-out. But they took a full hour to arrive after ordering. One hour. And during that time, we were expertly ignored by the previously friendly servers. Not an apology, or offer of more drinks, or explanation. No eye contact either, so we couldn't ask for a status update. And the liver was a true, unmitigated disaster. Three or four paper-thin strips of heavily fried (massacred) liver that had the consistency of crunchy cardboard, with a strip of dry bacon on top and some barely translucent (not properly fried) onions. Gravy? Sauce? Nope. Difficult to chew and swallow, required a lot of water. The chef has no idea how to prepare this simple dish. And the salads were actually lettuce soup. Nothing but iceberg lettuce swimming in water.

Then, (I hate when this happens), after we had eaten and the bill was delivered, the charm from the servers and manager popped right back on like a light bulb! Must be tip time. "Sorry for the long wait, but liver takes a long time, and I'll bet it was worth the wait!" Wrong on both counts. Liver takes a second to cook, and it wasn't worth the wait at all. This restaurant has potential, but isn't delivering at present. Husky, there is an opportunity here for a truck stop.

• Visited April 2013
Crowsnest Pass, Canada
“Sliding”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We were impressed the first visit we made after the change in ownership. So we went back for brunch. Although all the elements of our eggs benediction were there, it just seemed something was missing. Although I wasn't ready to write the place off, my partner returned a couple of weeks later for lunch and reported that things had gone downhill. I think they need to sort out the front of the house issues. I hope they get it sorted out because I'd definitely go back for the superb breaded pork chops.

Visited November 2012