Open today: 5:00 AM - 10:00 PM

from $90.00
from $30.00
from $98.00
2,148 results
All reviews day trip top of the rock worth the climb take your time climb steps giant rock worth the effort north bus terminal walk up breathtaking views mango entrance fee sunny day souvenir shops el penol two hours boat ride
Reviewed December 6, 2012

This is a very nice daytrip from Medellin. The area of the Piedra Peñol is just beautiful. For the ones who like some outdoor activity: the rock offers the oppoartunity to climb all the way to the top through concrete stairs. This however is not free: you have to pay about U$6 in order to climb up and about $2.50 to park in the parking lot.

Date of experience: December 2012
1  Thank Bonairetraveller
Reviewed November 28, 2012

This is a must do when in Medellin. It is 1.45 min away by bus but it is well worth the trip. La Piedra is first and it is breathtaking and I am not just talking about climbing the rock. :)
THe town is great as well. Eat the Troucha. Do not eat a hamburger!!!!
Trust me

Date of experience: September 2012
Reviewed November 28, 2012

If you have only a few days to explore Medellin, I would not necessarily add this to my "to-do" list. The views of the man-made lake are beautiful from the top. Although not a super difficult climb, the altitude adjustment may wind you.

Date of experience: November 2012
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Great to take a day trip to visit this natural monument. I don't care that it's a tourist trap, it really blew my mind standing on top of it and enjoying this spectacular view (with good company I might add) and then eating in a restaurant there with a good view as well, then taking a ride to visit the pueblito of Guatape was great. One of my favorite places to visit in this region.

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed November 27, 2012

We visited El Penon a month ago with a small group in a tour we found online.
It was a great day. Starting to see rock from the distance when you are getting there is amazing and even more incredible the view from the top and the history behind the cons truction of the dam. Our tour took us to the base of the rock where you buy the tickets to go up and can find a few little shops selling souvenirs and a restaurant.
There are over 700 steps to get to the top so not recommended for people with knee problems.
Once you get to the top the view is just breath taking. 360 degrees of stunning green and blue, gorgeous mountains (there you are right in the middle range of the Andes), cool little "islands" and country houses.
You can have a drink up there and just forget about the rest of the world.
We we came down (after an hour) we had lunch in the local restaurant and enjoyed a bit more from the view before leaving.

Date of experience: October 2012