My family and I went to this region to attend the 2012 Floriade, whose venue changes every time. The Limburg region, where Venlo is, is known for nature and outdoorsy activities. Most of the available accommodations in the region are houses, rentals, camping grounds, and other long-stay accommodations, which did not suit our purpose because we would only be there for three days. Among the hotels I've found in the area, Chateau Bilderberg Holtmuhle in Tegelen (beside Venlo) was the closest to the venue (but there are NO hotels that are within walking distance to the venue) at the price range we were looking at (around 240 euros/night for a double/triple room).
The staff is very attentive and helpful, even from the time of inquiring via email, to the time of booking via email, and all throughout our stay. They taught us the route to take by train to get to Tegelen/Venlo from Amsterdam, and so forth.
Taxis are quite expensive here, especially because the places are far away from each other. You can ask the front desk to call you a cab--and they will negotiate for you a fixed roundtrip price which is around 1/3 or 1/4 of the fare by meter. From the train station, taxi to the hotel was expensive since we didn't know to ask the hotel yet. We ended up getting 2 sedan taxis, and paid around 40 euros per taxi, one way. But the fixed taxi rate at the hotel got us a large van (we requested for a vehicle that could accommodate all five of us) that could seat maybe 10 people, at a fixed rate of about just 50 or so euros (for all five of us, roundtrip). The taxi will take you right to the entrance of the Floriade park, and back to the entrance of the hotel.
The hotel is an old castle which has been converted. The ambience is lovely and serene, and all around the hotel is a great expanse of woods and gardens which are great to explore. The rooms are large, clean, feature high quality materials/furniture, and a clean decent sized bathroom to boot. Breakfast is buffet style, featuring lots of the local produce/products, including delicious fresh milk.
Price is a little high but there is not much choice in this area, and I think for the quality of the hotel, service of the staff, and our overall experience, it was worth it in the end. A lot of people opt for the cheaper accommodations that are more of for camping and long-stay, like families or groups visiting the area from neighboring countries, etc. But for our purpose of visiting the Floriade and only staying 2 nights, this option was great for us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Chateau Holtmuhle is a unique historic castle which dates back to the Middle Ages. The peaceful surroundings and luxurious setting in a romantic environment ensure a pampering break. The spectacular entrance across the moat already promises a wonderful stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Bilderberg Chateau Holtmuhle reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bilderberg Chateau Holtmuhle Hotel Tegelen
- Bilderberg Chateau Holtmuhle Tegelen, The Netherlands - Limburg