“An Absolute Gem”

Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in L'Islet
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 2, 2015

La Salicorne was recommended to us by our accommodation host. We are very grateful as it was a lovely evening.

It is in a gorgeous position on the St Lawrence river and we were lucky with the weather; the sun set behind clouds and provided a dramatic backdrop for our meal.

Naturally, French is the main language here but my small amount of French and their perfectly workable English allowed for good communication. We ordered Asian dumplings and Goat's Cheese as starters, with both being delicious. I had sausages and Mrs B salmon for our main course. We enjoyed every mouthful and the carafe of red we had complemented the food well. I finished with a splendid crème brulee and we both had tea. With tax, this came to only $90. I thought this to be good value for a fine meal.

The food was very good, the service charming, and the setting gorgeous. This bistro is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 9, 2015

We loved this little restaurant. I speak French but my friends did not and the staff were fun, doing their best to speak English and the food we had was delicious. The manager/owner was very funny, friendly and accommodating. I would definitely recommend and return.

Reviewed June 24, 2015

We were biking along route 132 bordering the St Lawrence River when we came up upon this very charming and incredible place in L'Islet sur mer. What a surprise and and a wonderful experience. Food is to die for and the atmosphere sitting on the front porch was like out of this world. We will return and it is only 5 km off route 120. Exceptional price quality ratio, one of the best I have ever experienced.

Reviewed May 19, 2015

We happened on La Salicorne Café by chance on our leisurely journey along the coastal route from Quebec City to Riviere du Loup. We had no expectations when we entered the charming house across the street from the water. My husband had a wonderful chicken wrap and wasn't tempted by the house soup, a delicious pureed fresh vegetable soup which I thoroughly enjoyed. Understanding little French I opted for a dish that I knew included ham and cheese but wasn't quite sure what else. Baked parmesan, smoky ham, unbelievable home made French Fries, gherkins and lovely green salad arrived artfully displayed on a large cutting board. The flavors were wonderful and complimentary and the meal totally satisfying. Don't miss this gem.

Reviewed September 14, 2014

I was driving back to Nova Scotia and camping in the area and happened upon La Salicorne Cafe in time for a latish lunch. I'm so very glad that I stopped here. I dined on the spacious front porch on a very hot afternoon but there was a most pleasant breeze blowing off the river. The view was lovely. The huge old church across the highway and a lovely view of the St. Lawrence River.

Service was attentive and the lunch menu delightful. I chose the Soup du Jour, a very tasty creme of vegetable and then the home made Saucissons Salicorne - a pair of house made pork sausages flavoured with fennel and Aleppo Pepper. They were very tasty and not at all fatty, grilled to perfection. Accompanied by a tomato-based curried chutney - totally yummy. The roasted potato wedges with aioli flavoured with finely diced pickle added a wonderfully earth contrast. And the mesclun salad was the perfect finish.

I tried a glass of the local cranberry flavoured apple cider. Tart and dry. Perfect for such a warm mid day meal.

Dessert was Creme Brule, as rich and creamy as it out to be. My cafe allongee cut the sweetness perfectly.

I would say that La Salicorne Cafe is worthy of a short ramble off the main highway as you make your way either east or west. Prices are very reasonable. My lunch cost me a mere $30, including tax. Quality is superbe. Ambiance is relaxing and service excellent. I can't wait for a return visit.