“Worth the detour”

Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in L'Islet
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 24, 2015

We were biking along route 132 bordering the St Lawrence River when we came up upon this very charming and incredible place in L'Islet sur mer. What a surprise and and a wonderful experience. Food is to die for and the atmosphere sitting on the front porch was like out of this world. We will return and it is only 5 km off route 120. Exceptional price quality ratio, one of the best I have ever experienced.

Reviewed May 19, 2015

We happened on La Salicorne Café by chance on our leisurely journey along the coastal route from Quebec City to Riviere du Loup. We had no expectations when we entered the charming house across the street from the water. My husband had a wonderful chicken wrap and wasn't tempted by the house soup, a delicious pureed fresh vegetable soup which I thoroughly enjoyed. Understanding little French I opted for a dish that I knew included ham and cheese but wasn't quite sure what else. Baked parmesan, smoky ham, unbelievable home made French Fries, gherkins and lovely green salad arrived artfully displayed on a large cutting board. The flavors were wonderful and complimentary and the meal totally satisfying. Don't miss this gem.

Reviewed September 14, 2014

I was driving back to Nova Scotia and camping in the area and happened upon La Salicorne Cafe in time for a latish lunch. I'm so very glad that I stopped here. I dined on the spacious front porch on a very hot afternoon but there was a most pleasant breeze blowing off the river. The view was lovely. The huge old church across the highway and a lovely view of the St. Lawrence River.

Service was attentive and the lunch menu delightful. I chose the Soup du Jour, a very tasty creme of vegetable and then the home made Saucissons Salicorne - a pair of house made pork sausages flavoured with fennel and Aleppo Pepper. They were very tasty and not at all fatty, grilled to perfection. Accompanied by a tomato-based curried chutney - totally yummy. The roasted potato wedges with aioli flavoured with finely diced pickle added a wonderfully earth contrast. And the mesclun salad was the perfect finish.

I tried a glass of the local cranberry flavoured apple cider. Tart and dry. Perfect for such a warm mid day meal.

Dessert was Creme Brule, as rich and creamy as it out to be. My cafe allongee cut the sweetness perfectly.

I would say that La Salicorne Cafe is worthy of a short ramble off the main highway as you make your way either east or west. Prices are very reasonable. My lunch cost me a mere $30, including tax. Quality is superbe. Ambiance is relaxing and service excellent. I can't wait for a return visit.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

La Salicorne has been one of my favourite restaurants anywhere for years now. I make detours for a few specific restaurants and La Salicorne is one I enjoy whenever I am within 100 miles or so. The food is excellent and eclectic with spice blends you just don't find anywhere else. My last meal was an Egyptian appetizer scented with coriander, saffron and sumac and a main course casserole of chorizo and fresh vegetables that was reminiscent of the south of France. The restaurant also sells a variety of teas and spices for you to take home and enjoy. This is one of those places that you really should make the time to enjoy. Share it with someone you love or savour it yourself, la Salicorne is an experience.

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Excellent food and service - with a great view of the St. Lauwrence. Mulitple variety of choices on the menu. I chose the scallops which were devine, slighlty sauteed with a light wine sauce topped by fresh local vegetables. My husband enjoyed the cornish hen which was served with a honey flavoured sauce and french style benas with parisienee potaoes. We spoke little French and our waitress did her very best to speak English.