“The accolades are well-deserved”
Review of Inn at Whitewell

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Whitewell
Inn at Whitewell
Ranked #1 of 1 Whitewell B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I can only endorse the other positive reviews of this hotel. As I was brought up in Lancashire, I passed it on many cycle rides through the Trough of Bowland, but I could never afford to stay there! I still think it is a little over-priced for the area, but the quality of the accommodation and of the food cannot be faulted. We stayed in the Coachhouse (Room 24), which meant a two-minute walk in the open air to get to the dining room for dinner and breakfast - not a problem for us, but something you may want to bear in mind. (Umbrellas are provided both in the Coachhouse and in the main building.) One minor criticism - the hotel makes a big play of its feature bathrooms, and certainly the one we had looked fabulous. However, there were a couple of design faults - first, if you wanted to take a bath rather than a shower, it was almost physically impossible to get to the plug mechanism of the bath without climbing into the tub (because of the fixed shower screen); and secondly, the only lighting was ceiling-mounted downlighters, which (according to my wife) are not conducive to the applying of make-up. But these are minor criticisms of what is really an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: The Coachhouse is separate from the main building and so is very quiet (well away from the busy bar...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

Thank you very much for your review, so pleased you had a happy time here with us. I will see if we can fit a illuminated mirror into Ch 24. Regards Cb

There are newer reviews for Inn at Whitewell

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Second time we have stayed at the inn in five years both times have been lovely. The rooms, bathrooms are faultless. The food was again perfect. The service happened without you noticing, the location is perfect for relaxing.our 9 yr old daughters bed was ace, she loves the place also because of the relaxed feeling, she loves the dogs that people bring and of course the stepping stones.

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you so much for your review, very kind and I am glad your daughter enjoyed her stay too, maybe next time we should get her fly fishing. Regards Cb

Reviewed September 23, 2013

First time at the Inn at Whitewell and well worth it. Lovely room (room 18), great breakfast and supper with terrific service.
Charming cricket theme - the now deceased owner Dick Bowman played cricket for Oxford University and Lancashire and aside from cricket ball room keys the gents toilet is worth a 20 minute detour to study the photographs.
The only minor criticism was the ale- over £3.50 a pint and in the interests of economy they buy a variety of beers in 9 gallon barrels that get chopped and changed through the same pipes.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Very kind of you to review us, glad we worth the road miles, the beer pipes are cleaned properly promise. Regards Cb

Reviewed September 22, 2013

we would like to thank all the staff at the Inn at Whitewell for a fantastic stay. our room was perfect and lovely and clean. The children really enjoyed it. I'm sure we will visit you again. The scenery on the way there has to be seen to be believed. Thank you again.

Room Tip: any room is good!. But check on the website first to see if there is a room you would prefer.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your review, very much appreciated and so glad you had a good time at the wedding. Regards CB

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Having spent several memorable weekends over the past few years at Inn at Whitewell we were delighted when our daughter and her fiance` chose this venue for their summer wedding. The ceremony took place at St Michael's church, situated immediately next door to the Inn, and as such the day flowed perfectly. Following some photographs across the stepping stones we retreated to the marquee where the wedding breakfast was served. The standard of the marquee, food, wine and service lived up to our expectations. Emma and her staff were extremely efficient and friendly; we can't praise them enough!. The feedback from our guests regarding the wedding venue as a whole has been really positive. Their praise extended to their unique bedrooms, fantastic views, delicious breakfast and the friendly helpful staff they encounted throughout the weekend. Who said it was grim up North!!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Very many thanks for the lovely review, I am so pleased you and your guests had a happy time with us here at the Inn on such a special day. We actually got married here too, but immodestly there aren't really many better settings. Thank you again. Regards Cb

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed at the Inn at Whitewell for my friend's wedding and she chose the room because we were bring our 3 children, one of which is our 5 month old baby. The room itself had a lovely livingroom with gorgeous views, the bathroom was ok (not worth the £240), i had seen nicer bathrooms in rooms that cost less in the hotel that some of the other guests had stayed in. The major problem was the bed in the main bedroom which was dangerously too high to sleep in, i was given a wooden mini set of steps (think old fashioned steps used to get a lady on a horse) to get into the bed because as i stood next to it, the top was reaching close to my chest. I was mortified and i was no way getting into this bed to sleep with my 5 month old baby who co-sleeps with me and my husband. When i rang the reception they suggested the steps so i tried them but i'm sorry but i just felt unsettled and feared that i would break my neck trying to go to the toilet in the night. So i told them that the bed was unsuitable and i need to move rooms and was told that the bride (my friend) chose the room so it was her fault and basically it was tough! No sorry, no nothing!!!

I spent the night on the small pull out bed with my 5 month old daughter and my 12 year old daughter, then my 2 year old daughter was in her travel cot (which we brought with us) and my husband had no choice but to sleep in that horrible bed. So i spent £275 (£35 to have a child over the age of 2) to sleep on a sofa bed!!!

Now it says on the website that this room is perfect for family but i would suggest otherwise for one reason - How many people with children have that lovely family moment when the kids come in to the parents bedroom in the morning and climb on the bed? Well you could NEVER let your children go anywhere near the bedroom it would be way too dangerous.

I felt so upset because the Inn at Whitewell is the perfect setting, the food is superb and all the other rooms i went to see on the day were gorgeous, so i just couldn't understand the need for such a ridiculously high bed (4ft high).

Room Tip: Any room apart from room 6 (the suite)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank MamaR1979
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Thank you for your review. Sorry you didn't like the height of the bed, it is deliberate to allow a view of the river from bed and a copy of one of our old four posters. Quite understand you not being comfortable putting your children up at that height, although to be accurate it is 32" high. Glad all the other aspects of the stay were good. Regards cb

Reviewed September 5, 2013

When Alistair Sawday commented in his guide to British hotels and inns that, with regard to the Inn at Whitewell, he'd be 'hard pressed to find anywhere better than this', I felt I had to give it a go.

Sawday is right.

We've now been staying at the Inn for more than three years, each time we make the journey to stay with one of our children. With each visit, we love the place more.

First, there are the views across the Forest of Bowland as you descend from the major roads into deep, green tranquility, with sheep grazing peacefully and understated, lovely homes dotting the quiet countryside. Then you come across the Inn, built of lovely stone and beautifully maintained--and always, always busy, meeting the needs of those of us visiting with quiet efficiency.

The rooms are tastefully--well, better than tastefully, perhaps exquisitely--decorated, and spotless. There's antique furniture and wonderful fabrics, tastefully blended, everywhere you look. The views out across the river Hodder and the fields of sheep grazing are tranquil and bucolic. And the food--well, I believe I know good food, and they definitely know how to create it and serve it! You can eat in the bar or the restaurant; we've always chosen the bar because we love the feel of it. You can eat a light or substantial meal, all top quality. Breakfast follows suit. Local products are used whenever possible. The wine list is awesome.

For me, the finest aspect of all is the staff. They are efficient and effective, but at the same time friendly and personable--not always an easy combination to achieve--and this applies at all levels, cleaning staff, waiters, bar staff, reception.

This Inn is my idea of perfection.

Room Tip: Rooms with a river view are particularly tranquil.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelierLancashire, Owner at Inn at Whitewell, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for your kind review, all reviews are appreciated but they are especially important from a regular visitor, Thank you again. Regards |Cb

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitewell
Northcote Hotel
#1 of 1 in Billington
The Shireburn Arms
The Shireburn Arms
#2 of 4 in Clitheroe

Been to Inn at Whitewell? Share your experiences!