Inn at Whitewell
$87
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsfish piestepping stonescoach housetrough of bowlandfour poster bedantique furnituresticky toffee puddingmain buildingoverlooking the riverkipperswedding partybar areamolton brown toiletriesan overnight staybirthday treatmy partnercooked to perfection
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 10, 2007

Have not stopped here since the refurb a while back. It has lost some of its cosiness but the slightly wacky aura remains.

Lovely quiet room decked out with real antiquities and I have to say the food was good and the beer to a standard that CAMRA would approve. I shall be back.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank Platz
Reviewed September 9, 2007

We arrived at the Whitewell Inn having just had a very poor experience the previous night at another so-called Inn. What a joy to be back at Whitewell; lovely fireside table for a nice light lunch, excellent and reasonable wine properly served, extremely efficient staff with the right amount of Lancashire hospitality. Our room was gorgeous overlooking the river - big comfy bed, sofa, antique furniture, lovely bathroom with marble bath and power shower. We spent a chilled out afternoon sipping very good wine we'd bought from the vintners downstairs. Dinner in the restaurant was as good as ever; the staff had listened to our request for a window table, the wine was decanted, the water was local from Bowland. The Inn at Whitewell can be very busy, especially on Sunday afternoons, however by the time we came out of the restaurant, there were only ourselves and a few other residents milling around. A lovely peaceful time to sit and enjoy a drink after dinner by the log fire. After an excellent night's sleep we had a good hearty breakfast. Freshly squeezed orange juice, porridge and a proper English breakfast, very good bacon, black pudding and sausages. The thing with this place is you either love it or hate it - and I love it! I always come away feeling as if I've been away from civilisation for a lot longer than one night. It really is a gem, and I think in future instead of wasting money and being disappointed with other places, I'll just spend more time at the Whitewell.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank delta123
Reviewed September 9, 2007

Been staying here on and off for years, and decided to have another weekend there at the last minute.

Stayed in Room 16, one of the new rooms on the rear overlooking the beautiful river. Room was large, and to a good standard and the four poster was very good and comfortable. Decor was very chintzy but I guess thats in keeping with the vibe of the place. Excellent bathroom.

Personally, I dont like the new bar on the rear. I know its bigger, but its lost the feel of the old one on the front which is now just a bland empty space for extra dining. Also, I wish there was some nicer seating in a lounge for residents. The hard wooden bar chairs do get a little uncomfortable after awhile.

The restaurant is a decent standard, but I do think there are better meals to be had in the area (Northcote Manor). Service was good, and informal.

Couple of other gripes are why on earth do they finish the breakfast service at 9.30 on a Sunday morning. We didnt bother as we wanted a nice lie in. Surely thats what a weekend break is about, not having to get up early to catch a ridiculously early breakfast service. Also, no one was around to order a coffee from in the bars when we did eventually surface later in the morning.

Apart from that, its a nice place to stay in a lovely setting away from it all. Sure we will be back despite the relatively minor niggles.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2007

A combination of Silver Wedding and my father's 73rd birthday - we decided to try the Inn at Whitewell. The welcome was non-existent (despite it not being too busy when we arrived). We finally found our way through to our table (first ones in the restaurant).

Fish pie is just that - admittedly a large dish of it - but no accompanying vegetables, nor the ability to order as a separate side dish - they only side dishes were chips or salad. My dad and I had braised lamb shanks which were very tasty but we were half-way through eating them before our vegetables arrived. My husband chose steak (nothing special about it) and had to repeatedly ask for some mustard - which eventually arrived via a surly waitress. You pay restaurant prices for average pub grub. When I wrote to the management I received a pleasant enough reply but they admit that "as a family we have been debating for over 20 years" whether to serve vegetables with the fish pie. At £12.00 per dish I suggest they do!

I'm sure I'm in a minority but I cannot see what all the fuss is about.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank elswickian
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I stayed at the hotel for one night for a wedding. The location of the inn is spectacular, fabulous views, rolling hills and the rambling river.
The check in process was efficient but no more or less than I expected.
I stayed in room 14 which is one of the 'old' rooms overlooking the front of the inn,perfect for watching the other wedding guests arriving, and walking to the beautiful church next door.
The room was like a little cottage, with a four poster bed, high beamed ceilings, a sofa, an old writing bureau etc and the tv hidden in the wall. There was a bit of a modern twist with the sound system. Although a shame no tea/coffee or water in the room, I did search through all the antique furniture in the room to see if that was hidden too but without success ! On reflection I think the Molten Brown bathroom products made up for it............

The food provided for the wedding was lovely, especially considering the number being catered for. All the staff I encountered were polite and helpful. The marquee and the setting again couldn't be faulted.

The breakfast staff were efficient, the fresh juices were good, the coffee a bit strong and stewed for my liking, the cereal selection was average, but the cooked breakfast made up for that, firstly it was hot and freshly cooked, which was a change from the 'buffet' breakfasts which seem more common nowadays and
the quality of the food was good.

The morning was complete with a refreshing drink and admiration of the view from the terrace.

No gripes from me, I was only there one night and was totally relaxed by time I left and would recommend this hotel. A great place just to chill out with good food and wine and friends as I did, and a great place to come back too after a good walk (altho I didn't manage that this time - maybe next time!)

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends