“Poor service prevented us from even tasting the food”

Rivendell Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 11 Restaurants in Bot River
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Rivendell's Restaurant is run and owner by Thomas Sinn and offers fabulous food from fresh local produce that will please the most decadent palate. The menu offers an exciting selection of breakfast dishes, while overlooking a breathtaking vista of the surrounding vineyards and mountains. For relaxing leisurely lunches you can choose from a variety of dishes on our new menu.
Durbanville, South Africa
“Poor service prevented us from even tasting the food”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I phoned early during the morning of Easter weekend Sunday to make a breakfast reservation for 3 people. I was informed that the kitchen will close at 11am for breakfast. At 10:30, while we were in the car traveling from Betty's Bay to Bot River, I was phoned to say that management had decided that, because they have a very busy lunch service, the kitchen will now close at 10:30am for breakfast. This meant that although we had reservations we will not be able to have breakfast anymore. I was informed of this without even as much as an apology. I will definitely not visit this restaurant again or recommend it to anyone. Very poor service, not at all what I expected.

• Visited March 2013
Rivendellestate, Public Relations Manager at Rivendell Restaurant, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Corlia C

I would like to thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns and I apologize for the late reply. We unfortunately only got notified of the incident now. Firstly, let me say that I fully understand your disappointment and frustration. I would like to explain the following:

During the festive and holiday season, we are normally blessed with lots of visitors joining us for both breakfast and lunch. On Easter weekend we normally have rain in our area and therefore have limited space to serve our meals. We encourage our clients to join us for our scrumptious breakfasts, but due to limited space and the kitchen needing a bit of time to get ready for the next seating namely lunch, we have to limit the hours we can serve breakfast over weekends. Normally, breakfast will be served till 11:00 and even on advisement by management, we have often extended our hours to full day when not busy.

The most important aspect though is to ensure that every guest has the full experience and opportunity to enjoy their meal with family and friends in a relaxed un-rushed atmosphere. The particular Sunday in question, being Easter Sunday, we were completely fully booked for lunch and were trying to create space in order to accommodate all the bookings, as the rain was certainly there to stay.
The person who took your booking was unfortunately a temporary staff member and not aware of the fact that we were only taking bookings till 10:30 in order to ensure that both breakfast goers and lunch visitors enjoyed a relaxed eating experience. When the manager realized that you were not going to be able to arrive before 11:00, she contacted you telephonically to advise you of the situation. It was ascertained that some of the members of your party would only arrive after 11:00. This would also result in the lunch booking for that specific table not being able to be seated, which was quite a predicament for everyone.

I would like to mention at this point that the staff member never should have taken the booking and that we apologize for this oversight. I would like to invite you to join us for a free breakfast with your partner in order to show you how we can entertain guests at Rivendell. I would also like to acknowledge that we made a mistake and that we always appreciate when our guests give us feedback on these matters. Where there is a human factor involved, there will never be 100% perfect service. We can only say that we strive to perfect our shortcomings and would like to ensure you that this situation, being a learning curve to us as well, will not happen again. We apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you. Please accept our sincere apologies as well as our invitation to visit. You can contact me at any time at the estate to discuss this matter.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards
Norah Hudson

Wiltshire, UK
“Excellent duck salad!”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Like a previous reviewer, we have driven past this place on many occasions during our visits to/from Hermanus but have not stopped. This time we made a plan to have lunch and weren't disappointed...the seared duck salad was excellent as were the fish and burger dishes served with superb potato wedges...really crispy and the best we've had anywhere! The service was friendly and efficient. We had a wine tasting before our meal...a limited selection but this is only a small wine estate so this is to be expected and the wine was good. We'll definitely be back on another visit...

Cape Town
“Fantastic spot, excellent food & service”
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

We've often driven past this place so this time decided to stop in for lunch. Good thing we booked as it soon became very busy. We eat in the tasting area which was an overflow from the main dining room, but it was still great. The wine was delicious. The food was excellent and the service was fantastic. Dexter our waiter was friendly and helpful, as we're his colleagues. We had the lightly battered fish, pork belly with mash, and leg of duck. All the food was freshly prepared and delicious. Definitely be stopping there again soon!

Cape Town
“Worst service of my life”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have visited this restaurant many a time and always experience slow but good service but yesterday was the last straw. it took over an hour for our breakfast to arrive, without a spoon for my fruit salad and toast for my husbands bacon and eggs. If you have NOTHING to do for the rest of the day then visit there by all means and have the rest you planned to but if you want to enjoy a paced breakfast, lunch or dinner then beward.

Dear Belinda D

Thank you so much for your feedback regarding the slow service you received in March 2013 when visiting Rivendell for breakfast. You might think that this was a completely valid complaint (as it certainly is!!) by the slow response from us!! I apologize sincerely, as we only received the notice now that you had concerns about your visit.

Firstly, may I say that we always strive to give people a relaxed, but efficient service. This however, should never be slow service. We have made certain changes in order to ensure that food is served timeously. I apologize for the waitron's oversight in not providing a spoon for your fruit salad as well as the nice warm toast we are so well known for at Rivendell (especially the home baked honey and rye bread) Our waitrons receive many compliments for their efficient, warm and friendly service, but as human error is always involved when we deal with people, this is the only way we can ensure that our guests receive the best service possible, by constructive criticism.

It is only fair that you write your concerns and make ourselves as well as the public aware of these matters. We also have a little comment card, which we invite our guests to complete in order for us to provide better service as well as look at helpful suggestions.

May I invite you to return to Rivendell, so that we can show you that we have improved on our service as well as our serving time? I would appreciate if you could contact me before your next planned visit to Hermanus so that we can arrange a nice breakfast or lunch for you and your husband to enjoy with our compliments.

I am looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards
Norah Hudson
Hermanus, South Africa
“Breakfast in the vineyard”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

The surroundings are tranquil with mountain views and vineyards. The decor is contemporary with big windows making the most of the view.

It was a coffee date with a friend but we opted for the health breakfast, which was beautifully presented and equally tasty. It comprised muesli, fresh cut fruit and yoghurt accompanied by a fruit juice (we were given a choice). Included was a delicious muffin with a selection of jam/marmalade.

The coffee or tea which we started with was not included, the coffee was the sort that kick starts your day.

Service was friendly an efficient and overall my friend and I felt we had a great morning at a good price

• Visited November 2012