“Wow- not expected” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Gabrielskloof

Gabrielskloof
Ranked #2 of 6 things to do in Bot River
More attraction details
Owner description: Gabrielskloof is a new and exciting winery situated on the N2, between Botriver and Caledon. We are the latest addition to the Botriver wine ward, and since opening our doors to the public in August 2009, we have hosted some exciting events, including quarterly food and wine pairings. Gabrielskloof offers the visitor a spectacular cellar experience, tasting room, restaurant and deli with 360 degree overberg views. Come and sample our superb wines, home grown olive oils, and wholesome local country fare.
western cape
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Wow- not expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you are passing just call into this winery. It is wonderful. Designed by someone who know what they are doing and paid for by someone with deep pockets. One of the nicest winery experiences I have had in South Africa and many of the Europeans should take a leaf out of their book. Great restaurant, stylish and not too expensive. Right on the N2 on way to cape town from Greyton area. Dont miss it.

Visited June 2013

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Sublime (no need to say more!!)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I popped in to buy a couple of bottles of the absolutley delish Gabriëlskloof Sauvignon Blanc and Magdalena. It was a chilly and overcast day so we slipped into the restaurant for a quick coffee (the nicest cuppa ever!!). We were shown to a comfy couch in front of a glowing fire where we had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with the very warm and unassuming owner, Bernhard Heynes and his loyal, friend-forever dog, Smarty. I invited Smarty onto my lap but she politely declined, choosing only to put her front paws on my knees whilst gently but very intently searching my face!

The service was quick, friendly and unobtrusive! Gabriëlskloof definitely warrents another visit (and then many more after that!!)

Ursula Starley
Rustenburg

Visited June 2013
2 Thank UBStarley
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Lovely start to a day in the wine route”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We had their lovely Viognier for dinner at the De Kloof resort in Swellendam the previous evening, and since it is perfectly located on the N2, made it our first stop on our wine tasting day. We were not disappointed - very good service, good wines and beautiful premises got the day off to a great start.

Cape Town, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“What a delightful surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were told about Gabrielskloof by two Cape Town friends on Sunday; we had never heard of it. Today on our way back from Mossel Bay to CT we decided to stop in for a light luncheon.... And we were so very happy that we did! We were warmly welcomed by the staff and although it was a scorching day the restaurant was cool. We only wanted a little something as we were still full from our late breakfast. I opted for the roasted tomato and basil soup, served cold. My partner ordered the pork rilettes. Both dishes were superbly flavoured. We shared a mixed mushroom and parmesan bruschetta. Most delishly flavoured with a dash of truffle oil. Perfection! All of this was washed down with their 2011 Viognier....perfectly teamed with the intense flavours of the food. As I write this we are finishing off the rest of the bottle at home! As we were leaving we were lucky enough to meet the charming and highly enthusiastic young chef Frans and his charming wife Marika. An added highlight was meeting Nicolene when we bought some wine, and her beautiful little Italian greyhound Beppe who is soon to have a wine named after him!! The poodle Lucy already has a sold-out bubbly named after her! Everyone seemed to work in harmony, making up a beautiful "family" The whole experience was perfect for us in every way. We will go back as soon as we can....with lots of friends so that we can share the experience. We simply do not understand the negative review .....

Cape Town
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful, with no buts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I apologize unreservedly to the Gabrielskloof Restaurant, Management and Staff for the aberrant review posted by my sister, Caterina C on 17th February, 2013.

Caterina was one of 26 invited, non paying guests at a family lunch held at Gabrielskloof on Sunday. She was requested to post a retraction herself but has obviously refused.

Unfortunately, Caterina C has her own jaundiced views on everything including her own self importance and is incapable of appreciating that a minor incident like "possibly" receiving something other than which she may have ordered can be turned into a negative of such magnitude, such import and negative impact via site a TripAdvisor as to negatively impact the vary many users of the TripAdvisor site and damage the establishment at which she was a non paying guest.

She makes no allowance for the macro environment, the fact that local staff are employed who by the way were more friendly than most one meets in the city.

My advice to any reader of Caterina's review are go visit Gabrielskloof within the next 3 months. If your experience is anything other than very positive please let me know via the Restaurant Management.I will personally call you to apologize and may surprize you by what I will do.

For the record, I am not shareholder or in anyway related to Gabrielskloof, the winery or the restaurant. I and 24 other friends spent a wonderful day with excellent food, wine and friendly willing members of staff. Pity that one did not and chose to post most unfortunate comments. But then Caterina will be Caterina.

Visited February 2013