“True Luxory”

Grand Hotel Heiligendamm
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My trips to Heiligendamm have been all we expected for a 5 star level hotel. We have been going there over New Year's and have so far enjoyed the location immensely: the food, the service, everything. The grilled 'Maronen' with 'Gluehwein' outside are a nice touch...that I hope to find again this December.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has been beautifully restored and it surroundings are idyllic if a little isolated. Food wasn't cheap, but there was plenty of choice and Bad Doberan is a taxi ride away if you want something a little different.

The use of the spa is free unless you want treatments and you have lots of beach to explore. For cheaper food and beer theres a little daytime snack cafe serving beer about a quarter of a kilometre along the coastal path.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Yorkie1970
Reviewed September 20, 2013

My trip to the Grand Hotel Heiligendamm was a mixed bag. While the hotel rooms and public areas are certainly on five-star level, I found the staff a bit lacking, in general.

Check-in was so-so. I arrived a bit early, and the room was not ready yet. Technically that's ok, as the official check-in time was 3 PM as the receptionist did not forget to remind me. However it was the first time this happened to me in a 5-star hotel, which I found particularly surprising since the booking was made weeks in advance.
So waiting for my room to be ready I was.
When I entered the room I so patiently waited for I noticed that it was quite a dump (dirty carpet, bad carpenting), and apparently not the room category I booked (Deluxe), but layout and size wise more two categories below (Classic).

A quick chat with reception fixed that, and finally I was in a room, which was visibly in the category I booked, which made quite a difference.

The room itself was overall very well appointed with a great bed, and furniture of very high quality. The TV set was a bit old school with a tube instead of LCD, but I wasn't there to watch TV anyways. The bathroom was very nicely done, too.

Unfortunately the personnel was 5-star more in their attitude than in their approach to work. While my experience in that segment of the market is limited to Hyatts and Ritz-Carltons, a common theme there was that staff always was very proactive, attentive and genuinely friendly.
Here the overwhelming feeling was of slight snobbishness, and the need to call the staff for everything and anything (This even applied to turndown service, which was not provided, if not called - "nice" if you have to deal with heavy blankets). That made me quite uncomfortable, and if I wasn't there on a travel-package, I would have left early.

The only exception was the staff of the Friedrich Franz Restaurant, which was genuinely caring and providing guests with a great dining experience.

In summary, I would only recommend the Grandhotel Heiligendamm for a weekend trip, and there only to visit the Friedrich Franz Restaurant. For more I am not sure if it is worth a trip.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RoccoSiffredi1968
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying here as part of a wedding party. Fantastic service throughout the whole 2 day event from the BBQ on the Friday evening through to the wedding ceremony on Saturday afternoon followed by the evening dinner & celebrations. The attention to detail & service was first class as was the food.
Our bedroom overlooked the sea and was well furnished & comfortable.
If I was to criticise this hotel in any way it would be trying to bag a table outside on the patio for breakfast which was a nightmare - just not enough tables or staff.
That aside we left with very fond memories and a wedding we will never forget.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Morag H
Reviewed August 15, 2013

The location is amazing but the staff and the Director run a two class society. When we arrived they downgraded us from a superior room with see view to standard room. The explanation was that they were fully booked and they made a mistake, of course no apology. My husband was annoyed I didn’t care as long as I can sunbath on the beach.
When we got to the beach there was no beach chair left. We were told that they run out. At the hotel it is survival of the fittest, as there is not sufficient for everyone, other guests are willing to fight for beach chairs and at the buffet until someone gets hurt, as there is not sufficient of everything. It was impossible to speak to the Director about it. On the next day we found out from a nice staff that the Director reserves beach chairs for “past investors” of the hotel. We noticed this happens for parking spaces, for tables at the restaurants etc. up on our return my husband read in the paper that past investor get to stay for free in the hotel or something like that. Trust me there are many of them running around there staying two weeks with kids.

The hotel is on such beautiful spot and the buildings are amazing but as a paying guest you are treated like left over. When we went to eat at the sushi bar the service was miserable, we waited 30 min for our cocktails even though the sushi bar was empty. The service didn’t remove used plates until there was no more room on the table and we signed the bill. We had to drink Sake out of white wine glasses, when we ask for sake glasses they looked at us confused and he said this is how we serve it. I asked to put the sake bottle in some ice which was reluctantly fulfilled.

The Friedrich Franz restaurant has top service and excellent food.

The only advice I can give to the new owners of the hotel get rid of that director he is miserable, lazy sitting around at guest’s tables, until they politely ask him to leave. He does not taking complaints seriously. Although I have to say we never met him in person nor did he take the opportunity to apologies to us.

it would help if the hotel would leave the leaders club or be down grades then expectations are at last met.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Caro C
Reviewed June 7, 2013

A beautiful grand hotel which exceeded our expectations for its grandeur, beauty and setting. You are transported back in time so if you stay more than a day I suggest reading the Buddenbrook, it is the perfect setting to do it, sitting on a Strandkorb!

We were upgraded and had a beautiful appointed room in the 'Castle', which actually is a real castle! Room was spotlessly clean, and was kept such throughout our stay. huge bathroom, they brough wifi router to room so we could navigate for free.

As it is a spread out hotel you need the key to enter and exit the buildings for security reasons. The area is amazing, it is a secluded area but very close to beautiful Bad Doberan and Kühlungsborn, you can reach them both by historic Molli train which stops just outside of the hotel, only up to 7,30 p.m.

Valet parking is at € 25 per day, self parking at 12, I bit to expensive but there is little parking in the area to be found.

Service was impeccable at reception and Nelson bar, whereas breakfast needs improvement.

The young hostess at breakfast reception didn't speak any English, you do not really know if you can just walk in, as many did, or wait to be seated in the beautiful breakfast room. Staff works hard but it seems there is no cohesion: a lot of running around but not up to par. One morning they forget coffee, the next a teaspoon is missing, eggs benedict to order were hard boiled and cold.

It is a magic place though, a good base to visit many beautiful towns like Rostock and Wismar or to enjoy relaxing and reading.

One of the most beautiful real Grand Hotel we've stayed at.

Room Tip: Silence is deafening so I believe there are no problems wherever you sleep. The rooms in the castle...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 26, 2013

We stayed three days, two nights with friends at the GHHD / the 5star property is like a white city directly on the Ostsee shore. Everything is grand / from arrival to departure. Swift valet parking, very friendly efficient check-in with introduction to the room and all facilities. We enjoyed the spacious resort style park, the walks on the beach and the great breakfast buffet. Breakfast is either made to order (very yummy Eggs Benedicte) or you choose from a sumptious buffet!

The SPA is large, spotless clean and was eventho it was a public holiday weekend always empty. Nice pool with a large hot tub next to it.

Overall great vacation, just pricy due to holiday weekend, but hey, sometimes you must spoil yourself!

Room Tip: Nice rooms at the Burg Hohenzollern / make sure you get seaviews
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ostseebad Heiligendamm
Travel Charme Ostseehotel Kuhlungsborn / Baltic Sea
Travel Charme Ostseehotel Kuhlun...
#3 of 26 in Ostseebad Kuhlungsborn
Upstalsboom Hotelresidenz & SPA Kuhlungsborn
Upstalsboom Hotelresidenz & SPA ...
#2 of 26 in Ostseebad Kuhlungsborn
Hotel Residenz Waldkrone
Hotel Residenz Waldkrone
#10 of 26 in Ostseebad Kuhlungsborn
Europa Hotel Ostseebad Kuhlungsborn
Europa Hotel Ostseebad Kuhlungsb...
#5 of 26 in Ostseebad Kuhlungsborn

Been to Grand Hotel Heiligendamm? Share your experiences!