“Not disabled friendly and rude staff”
Review of Station Tavern

Station Tavern
Ranked #2 of 6 Restaurants in Grosmont
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Visited on a Sunday evening for a final meal out before returning home to Lincolnshire, with a deafblind wheelchair user.
I enquired about the evening menu and if there was a ramp or side entrance available for wheelchairs. I was told by the scruffy looking chap behind the bar " no" not even an apology or a smile. The bar area looked very scruffy and dismal very much like the the staff member. As we were all hungry we opted for the takeaway fish&chips £8.95. Coming from a fishing town the price was more than we were used to but paid it. Once we opened the container we were amazed at the portion size as seen in the picture,also paid extra for mushy peas!!!!
This pub is in a prime tourist location and takes full advantage of it! What a rip off!!

1  Thank 192Vanessa20
Write a reviewReviews (375)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I smiled twice and got no response then was told when we asked to book a table that we would have to keep asking for one as they were rushed off their feet, they had 10 tables, 3 were occupied, I asked people in the pub and no one was waiting for a table. He then said come back in at 8.30 to ask (it was about 7 at the time) if there was a table available, my hubby said will that guarantee a meal? His reply was NO we were not guaranteed!
So we went down to the pizza restaurant opposite and had a fab meal, they were charming food was good, reasonably priced.
I remember when Taverns were welcoming.............not this one!

1  Thank angelwished
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Although very busy, the landlord got us in for a meal with half an hours notice, we had curry which was home cooked and excellent, the landlord and staff were very friendly and couldn’t do enough for us. Also this pub is very dog friendly in the bar, there must have been about eight or ten dogs there. Thanks a lot

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Phoned the Station Tavern in mid June to book a twin room for mid September. Said we wanted a twin room. Landlord asked us to book on line and if we wanted a twin room, we should chose room 3 on the booking form.
Room 3 duly booked and conformation received by e-mail. Four weeks later I get an e-mail asking me to phone regarding my "provisional" booking. Made the phone call and was told by the landlord that owing to a "mess up" by previous owners, there was a problem with my booking. Apparently the dates were ok but room 3 was not available. Thought it a bit odd that an automated booking system didn't know what room were or were not available. Landlord went on to say that if we still wanted a twin room, he had a double that could be made into a twin as the bed had two separate mattresses on a base that could be split in two. Told him that would be fine.
Arrived on Sunday to find that nothing had been done regarding turning the double into two singles. Raised the matter with the landlord who told me that a) I'd booked a double in the first place (I hadn't and have the booking conformations to prove it) and he denied ever discussing the matter over the phone. Not impressed that he was trying to make me out a liar. What's more he didn't even offer to make the double into two singles as he'd offered to do back in July.
On the plus side, the room was spacious, the food was good and reasonably priced and it was dog friendly.
If the landlord had admitted his mistake and offered to rectify matters I could have lived with that but he tried to make out that it was all my fault. We won't be returning.

1  Thank Spamcan81
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Room clean and welcoming, comfy beds for good night sleep. The food was plentiful, homemade, the steak pie, plenty of beef and proper shortcrust pastry to be recommended. just what you want after long days out in the lovely countryside. We sampled most of the menu over our stay and enjoyed everything we had, nice clean plates going back into the kitchen. Also a good selection of drinks.
We had a really good holiday, Taff, Lyn, and the staff were pleasant and helpful when asked for information. Also, the locals and regulars visitors to the Tavern were really friendly which made our stay better.