The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort
$132
$121
Very Good 4/5
  • Pool
The Danna Langkawi(Pantai Kok)
$293
Good 3.5/5
$20
TripAdvisor
Average 3/5
No availability for your dates from our partners
Excellent 5/5
TripAdvisor
Sabrina Resort(Langkawi)
Agoda.com
2,586 results
All reviewscoral nurseryjala restauranttepian lautdatai baynorth wingflying lemurspool access roombeach barexecutive poolfish restaurantfish feedingmonitor lizardsbeautiful beachmorning and eveningrainforest walksrainforest roommain restaurant
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Am quite impressed with how The Andaman put together this impressive resort with all the elements of nature, leisure and relaxation into one place. The hotel itself sits on the edge of the forest (our room is in the rainforest side) and you can actually see the hornbills, geckos, squirrels and even monkeys on the corridor of the hotel. The Night Rainforest Tour conducted by a hotel staff was quite an experience as we saw civets, flying lemurs and flying squirrels during the tour. The beach is also very good and almost the same as Boracay here in the Phils. The pool is pretty safe even for my 9 year old. They even have shuttles to bring you to and fro to Cenang Beach so you can experience the public beach with fine white sands. And of course they also shuttle you to Kuah (the town center) for a day of shopping, which my wife practically enjoyed more.

The staff are very accommodating and quick to serve. From the restaurant crew up to the gym instructor. (In particular, Ms Christine (front desk) and her husband who saw to it that our needs were attended to). They are all very service-oriented. Kudos to those who trained them as it seems they act naturally.

Definitely going back to this resort and also recommend this to my friends here.

Room Tip: rooms with adjacent pool or spa would be great
1  Thank ariel r
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Ariel R,
You are very kind indeed… thank you for your time for posting this wonderful review on Trip Advisor – much appreciated!
I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with our resort natural environment… and I would certainly agree with you! As you discovered, our resort is surrounded by 10 million year old rainforest – and because so many of the trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills et al) live in perfect peace together (most days!).
Thank you for your compliment towards our coral sand beach. Datai Bay recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
I am especially happy to know that you and your family discovered our shuttle service which goes into either Kuah or Cenang each day. The shuttle service is complimentary to all the guests or you may hire a car from our resort which you can do quite spontaneous at our resort. Thanks for the comment.
It is kind of you to compliment our staff and also allowing me the opportunity to recognize Kristine and Sathia for their great hospitality service to you. I have passed your message to them and I do believe that you have made their day!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback… and it is kind of you to recommend our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor, appreciated! I am delighted to know that we may welcome you back to The Andaman.
With kind regards

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Andaman in February 2014. We had a suite with a truly fantastic view, perhaps one of the best views of any suite anywhere in the world. Huge picture window through which we could see the sea, jungle, stars at night. Truly fab. The rest of the room wasn't bad either. Good bathroom and shower, decent amount of space on the balcony although the monkeys turned out to be a bit of a nuisance, trying to force their way in at any opportunity. The other problem was a nasty smell of fried food coming through the air conditioning around breakfast time.
OUtside the room, the hotel is big, impersonal and geared to families. Therefore breakfast is pretty horrible, with tables jammed too close together and milling children dropping their cereal on the floor. Not at all glamorous and certainly not "luxury collection" whatever that may be. The pool area was also pretty good hell with lots of children screaming. So we spent most of the time on the beach which was pretty lovely though I noticed that a pile of rubbish - old mineral water bottles, suncream lotion tubes etc. - stayed there for the whole week's duration of our stay. Also, nobody bothered to take drink orders or bring us towels etc. i.e. not much hint of luxury there. However, the spa was great though the massages ludicrously expensive for Asia.

If we were to go to Langkawi again we would definitely splash out that bit more and stay at the Datai which is a completely different hotel, all very zen, stylish and relaxed. No yelling kids though quite a lot of elderly country gent brits in battered panamas talking about hunting. The food at the Datai is also really good - we loved the Indian-Malay restaurant. As good as Indian food as you will find anywhere.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Brittripper,
Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your stay on Langkawi… and for taking the time to post this review. It is never a pleasure to know that we disappointed a guest but I am always grateful for feedback so that we may learn and improve.
Kudos for you to experience our brand new Executive Seaview Suite… with the full Andaman Sea view, a 9-square-metre balcony furnished with a chaise longue and a teak coffee table – just relax! I continue to get great comments from our guests regarding this new suite… and I do also acknowledge that we sometimes have issues with the cheeky Macaque monkeys. I will continue to look at ways to allow them to live peacefully around the rainforest, without irritating our guests.
I am sad to read your review regarding our service efficiency and food quality….and I am sorry that we were a cause of disappointment. I acknowledge your comment regarding the cleanliness issue at our beach. I will give further thought… and I shall have a word with my good neighbors and ask if there is anything that we can do to assist in this area. Thanks for the nudge.
I am especially happy to know that you took time and visit our “V Botanical Spa” - as you discovered the spa villas are set up on the rainforest hillside and therefore have the most gorgeous views across the bay…just beautiful!
I note your remark that you will never return to The Andaman again. I am very sad to know this and I respect your decision. I accept complete responsibility for your disappointment. I will continue to reflect on the failings behind your experience at The Andaman. I remain committed to continuous improvement of our resort and our guests’ experience.
Thank you once again for your constructive and gracious remarks.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Second visit to the Andaman in 4 years and have to say this is now my family's favourite beach resort. Really good hotels have a five star attitude which you can't fake you have to live and the Andaman has it. Always hard to pick people out of so many but two specifically come to mind Chok Chai a really bubbly waiter who was always ultra helpful and raised our spirits every time we saw him & Kamal who worked in the Jala and stopped us booking a 7.30pm table & suggested we come earlier so as not to miss the spectacular sunset at 7.11pm.

This is the most beautiful bay I have ever seen and the hotel is literally in the rain forest with 2 types of monkeys, dozens of multicoloured birds & intriguing other animals everywhere. Since our last visit the hotel has added a fabulous fish restaurant, Jala and the food has improved all round. The pool is clever free form pool with areas suited to younger children, more energetic young people and adults who want a dip. The gym has also been upgraded and the room have all had a great make over. Also worth adding that the new Els Club golf course is now fully open and a treat for golfers of all standards (I'm pretty poor but enjoyed it immensely).

Now something did go wrong on one evening due to a storm effectively cancelling an outdoor buffet and the initial response was poor but I'm pleased to say the management bent over backwards to make up for the mistake. So if you want a resort that is very relaxed but has great service, excellent food and 5 star attitude you should definitely try the Andaman.

Room Tip: Ask for a 3rd or 4th floor room in the last two blocks of the North Wing....best sea views. Sign up for SPG member before you as you get perks and discounts in the resort.

Dear Eusebio,
Welcome back ! Thank you for choosing The Andaman for your return to Langkawi. I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us.
It is kind of you for allowing me the opportunity to recognize Chok Chai and Kamal for their great service to you – just as it should be!
Regarding our resort location… you are absolutely correct! The Andaman is surrounded by a 10 million year old rainforest… and because so many of our trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move. Besides, I am delighted to know that you and your partner enjoyed our coral sand beach. As you may know, Datai Bay is recognized as the 9th best beach in the world by National Geographic, I know that I am biased, but I do agree that it is one of the best beaches in Asia!
Kudos for you to experience the brand new Els Club Teluk Datai, designed by four-time major winner and former world champion Ernie Els. This golf course meanders its way through a 10-million-year-old rainforest, cascading down to the turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea below the legendary sandstone peaks of the Mat Cincang mountain range…just wonderful.
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us… and it is kind of you for recommending our resort to other traveller through Trip Advisor – much appreciated! We look forward to taking care of you again.
With kind regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

Just home after a wonderful short break at The Andaman - our only complaint is that we couldn't stay for much longer! Everything met or exceeded our expectations. The accommodation, level of comfort, and resort facilities were of the highest standard. Before our visit, I researched all the better resorts on Langkawi, and chose The Andaman because it seemed the best fit for us: comfort, a superb pool, dining flexibility, a good beach, a highly-rated spa and fitness centre, and lots of wildlife nearby.

We were very, very impressed by the staff, not only for their efficiency and competence, but they were so friendly, always in a respectful way. All staff, whether pool attendants, waiters, cleaners or desk staff, had a friendly smile and "good morning" whenever we encountered them. Nothing seemed too much trouble for them, and our every request was met.

The Andaman really is an "eco-resort". This isn't just a badge or tokenism. Not only is wildlife protected, and encouraged to co-exist on the property, but the resort is engaged in a range of initiatives to lessen its environmental footprint: composting, rainwater capture, a coral nursery, and a genuine effort to educate about the natural environment all contribute to a healthy balance between the resort and its surroundings. The broad diversity of wildlife on the grounds and in adjacent forests suggests a successful balance. I've stayed at many hotels which use terms like "lush tropical gardens" (for sanitised, artificial grounds), but The Andaman is not one of these. The gardens and pool area retain much of the original rainforest vegetation. Little wonder that hornbills, fruit-pigeons, kingfishers and lemurs are all breeding residents, and a hawk-owl roosts in the pool area!

We were surprised at some of the negative reviews here on tripadvisor. My family actually talked about these while we were there. None of us could understand why anyone would score The Andaman less than 5 out of 5. Perhaps these were old comments, and management had already addressed these concerns? Expensive dining? Yes, more expensive than some other places in Malaysia, but for the level of service and quality of food, we found it very reasonable, and substantially less expensive than restaurants of similar standard in Singapore or Australia. Too far from the rest of the island? We used a hotel car to get to the cablecar, and a taxi back - very easy. I did the bird tour, and that came with a 4WD and driver. For the rest of the time, we decided we would stay at the resort because we were enjoying it so much!

What we loved the most:
Location and views
Spa and fitness centre
Wildlife
Friendliness of staff
Free nature walks

What could be better:
The pool closes at 7pm, even when sundown as later.
The fitness centre is great, but a rowing machine or ergometer would be a great addition

What we didn't like:
Nothing!

If we get another chance to visit Langkawi, I'll save a lot of time researching resorts, because we will go straight to The Andaman. The high number of return visitors tells me a lot of people think the same!

Room Tip: It's worth the extra charge to get a sea view room - spectacular!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
AndamanLangkawi, Executive Assistant Manager at The Andaman, A Luxury Collection Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Russwood,
Well… you certainly made my day! Thank you for taking time the time for posting this generous review on Trip Advisor and choosing our resort for your recent stay.
I am delighted to know that you and your family enjoyed the stay with us… and especially happy to know that our staff was friendly, welcoming and took good care of you – just as it should be!
Thank you for your warm review towards our resort location. As you discovered, The Andaman is set inside the 10 million year old rainforest on a coral sand beach…and Datai Bay has recognized by National Geography as the 9th best beach in the world. There are so many of our trees and fauna were protected and maintained from the very start, the wildlife had no reason to move …and so we all (guests, monkeys, lemurs, hornbills etc) live in perfect peace together. If guests wish to have a tranquil, peaceful holiday close to nature …this is definitely a little paradise in Langkawi Island.
I do acknowledge your remarks regarding our pool operation hour and fitness center facilities as well. I shared your review with our team and we reviewed it at our morning briefing, as we do with all guest comments. Thank you for candor this point to us, much appreciated!
Please allow me to say once again how grateful I am towards your feedback. I am thrilled to know that we may welcome you and your family again… my team and I look forward to taking care of you again at The Andaman!
With warm regards,

Reviewed April 20, 2014

Just returned from the Andaman hotel after a weeks stay. The location is superb. From the moment you arrive you cannot help but be impressed and the service starts immediately and with a smile from all the staff. Check in was quick and efficient. We had arrived early due to flight times but the staff set to and soon had the room ready for us.
Plus points. All the staff were excellent and worked hard to make the stay enjoyable. My wife is a coeliac and travelling can lead to a very boring diet but not here. At breakfast my wife asked if there was any glutten free bread available and was immediately shown the bread station with the glutten free bread. That evening we asked what on the menu was glutten free and the waiter went to the chef who came out to speak with my wife and discussed what he could make from the menu, he then sent the pastry chef to the table and arranged a desert. although all staff were very good 2 stand out as excellent and deserve a special mention, Endoline who I believe is a trainee manager and Chok Chai went the extra mile. Endoline always seemed to be on site and was always busy with guests ensuring they had everything they needed, and Chok went the extra mile fussing round us with a very infectious smile and deserved to be acknowledged.
The grounds and beach are excellent and kept in very good order.
The only negative point. We had a garden room which was a very nice spacious room but was showing in need of a refresh. The bathroom although clean had stained floor tiles and show signs of having repairs carried out and the floors in the main room are starting to distort.
All in all an excellent hotel. Would I stay here again, yes in a heart beat.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Alf H,
How kind you are! Thank you for choosing our resort for your recent stay at The Andaman. I am glad to know that you and your wife enjoyed the stay with our resort location… and glad to know that our check-in process met your expectation level – just wonderful!
I am thrilled to know that our staff took good care of you and your wife during the stay… and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to recognize Edeline and Chok Chai for their great hospitality to you. Thank you for your compliment and I have passed your message to them… and I do believe that you have made their day. Thank you!
I am sorry to read your comments regarding the room you were assigned to… and your remarks about the need for updating our rooms. Our resort has completed a renovation December last year and we are committed to driving this plan forward. I also acknowledge that we need to get there faster. Thank you for candor this point.
Once again, thank you again for the candor of your comments – much valued. I am delighted to know that we may welcome you again at The Andaman. Hope to see you soon!
With warm regards