“a difficult equation”
Review of Vobster Inn

Vobster Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Vobster B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Readers will know that I am careful and balanced in my opinions.

The pub and hotel is run by Rafael (Raffa) from Spain and Peta (def.from UK). The bar has a limited selection of cider and beer on tap. The eating accommodation both inside and outside is relaxed and spacious. Outside you can play petang? Boules to you and me which we did for half an hour prior to lunch.

On offer was a special lunch for £10 including small glass of wine. This was a big ask of a place where the average price of a main course was £13ish. My partner had a salmon pate; I had a poached egg with asparagus., This was about all the choice we had for first course except filled cibattas.

The food was of very good quality but the portion was small. Feeling slightly hungry I added a normal price plaice for about £12. This arrived, again immaculately presented but the chips - imagine a tin cup of chips - were very small. Why not be more generous I thought. Do people not normally finish larger portions.

The second course was a variety of sweets including sourbet (which my partner had) and a mess, which I had. Again, bijoux in quantity. Good for a hot day but not nourishing in the winter.

I see a 'two course' meal as a starter plus main, or a main plus sweet, not a starter plus sweet.
I think if they offered a genuine two course for £12, that would work and would not compromise on quality. I think the phrase is 'caught between two stools'.

Have no doubt that the food is excellent but think a little about what you want.

I understand that the accommodation is excellent so if you want a reasonably priced stop over in a rural setting, this is the place to go.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Peta was friendly and helpful. Room is really well done and very comfortable. The attached gastropub does really nice food and nice beers. Little touches like small biscuits on arrival were really unexpected but lovely. Breakfast was seriously good with Manx kippers available when we visited.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 26, 2013

This pub has certainly improved its menu and quality of food. Maybe the refurbishment of the Talbot in Mells has spurred it on. We have eaten there twice in the last month and it has been excellent on both occasions. The staff are friendly and accommodating, menu excellent and variable, has usually a good selection of fresh fish. An excellent meal both times and value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I took my wife to the Vobster for her birthday. Set in a small hamlet in the depths of Somerset this village inn has much to offer by way of food and accommodation. The rooms, whilst on the small side, are extremely well appointed and comfortable. There is an air of peace and quiet which enables you to relax immediately. There is diifficulty in obtaining a mobile signal so unless you are prepared to venture up the hill adjacent to the inn you can be "out of touch". The food in the restaurant is superb as is the wine. All the staff are great and the the whole place is well managed. There may be some difficulty in locating this place during darkness but it is well worth making the effort. A lovely birthday venue!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed in room 4 for a pleasant one night stay recently. Nicely furnished good-sized room that was very clean indeed with everything you need provided. Made to feel very welcome by Peta and her other half; both really lovely people. Breakfast was good too and although I didn't have dinner this time I have eaten here before and the food was top notch. The Vobster is also marginally less expensive than similar places in the area. Definitely will return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Myself and a friend stayed in the twin room (3) for one night and were delighted with every part of our stay.

I am vegan and with prior warning, the chef accommodated for this magnificently, I was given 4 choices for my evening meal in the restaurant and was delightfully over fed for breakfast the following morning.

The room had everything we needed and more, great facilities!

All the staff encountered were friendly and a pleasure to talk to.

We are both already looking forward to our next stay at the Vobster Inn :)

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had a function in a nearby village, and wanted overnight accommodation for a couple of nights. We never anticipated the high quality, the Vobster Inn offered. We could only judge the breakfasts, they were cooked and presented in an excellent manner. Very attractive to the eye, and quite delicious. Maybe next time we will be able to try one of their evening meals, and there will be a next time. We certainly liked the sound of them. Well done Vobster, and thank you.

Stayed: March 2013

Been to Vobster Inn? Share your experiences!