Don Det Bungalows & Restaurant
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Pon Arena Hotel(Don Khong)
View Hotel
All reviewsper nightstayed here for nightsmosquito netthe ownerspring rollsticketsbusislandfan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have stayed on Don Det many times and although i find the rooms over my budget. The restarant is first class and the owner Annie very helpfull. On a island of little resorses she try's very hard to help sort to the needs of all.also i have found she try's to get the best bus tickets avalable and as we all know it is in laos and its not the usa !

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I got to Don Det... The bungalows are ok but as I sookr to others it's not as cheap olus my bedroom had a funny smell, no lock in the door (you have to have your own), found a couple of bugs in bed and bathroom.
You will survive but there are other places like this, cheaper and looking to the river which at least makes the place nicer :)
I wouldnt go back but if you have traveled through Laos, you know what you can expect!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Orellanateresa
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My husband and I were originally planning on staying 3 nights. The first night we couldn't sleep because the restaurant and some middle aged man, that were drinking all afternoon and all night long, were too loud!!!! The loud music went off by midnight, the service ladies stayed for about 30 more minutes cleaning and screaming at each other. After they were done cleaning, they turned on the lights of our deck (which lit up our whole room). At this point my husband and I couldn't go back to sleep anymore. Finally, I had to go out the room to turn the lights of our deck off. We left the next morning! Unfortunately we bought the bus tickets from the boss lady (who I liked - she seemed very sweet and hard working) but for some reason she lied to us about the bus. She told me in very clear English that the bus went directly across the Cambodian border, no bus change, and the bus would take us to Kratie without changing. We changed buses three times (I know that's typical but why did she lie? No bus goes directly and she must have known that). The last change they just dumped us off at a local bus station and left. We stopped every couple of kilometers in a microbus with 26 people in it (no joke, the driver shared his seat with someone - it was like the bus at the circus). That was actually a fun adventure but I don't appreciate being lied to. Some guesthouses do that knowing that they'll never see the tricked guest again. I hope this posting will deter other guesthouse managers from treating us like cattle to be pushed further down the tourist track.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sfebrero
Reviewed February 18, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights. The restaurant is good but very noisy...when I was there it was dominated by middle-aged euro stoners. The owner gave them free range of the sound system and they blasted reggae music nonstop, which would have been ok except every time a new song was cued up the PA system would buzz static very loudly...over and over into the night. Only one or two of the front bungalows have any sort of river view. The service was just o.k.
They did have the best coconut water I have ever tasted.
One thing that really disturbed me was that underneath the restaurant they had a monkey chained up all by itself surrounded by a pile of garbage. The monkey's chain was tangled and it couldn't reach the river to drink, and it was a very hot day. I only noticed it as I was leaving the hotel by boat on the last day of my stay. Maybe if you stay there you can go around to the back and make sure the little guy is doing ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a front bungalow with a view of the river, away from the restaurant. There are two I believe.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ugogrrl
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed at Don Det bungalows for 4 nights, had a great little bungalow with own balcony and hammock and deck chairs. Although the bungalow was pretty basic it is one of the better options in Don Det if you are a flashpacker like us softies....Annie the lady who runs it was brilliant ! great sense of humor, great food and very helpful. A real character. As there are no ATM's on the island when we realised that we did not have enough money to pay they allowed us to pay the bus driver on return to Pakse which was a really nice gesture and one we will remember. Don Det is a cool island, very laid back, horizontal in fact, you will discover what we mean when you go there......There are a couple of waterfalls to see and you can rent a bike and cycle round the island, all locals were friendly..apart from the geese ! Great place to stay overall would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple