“good find”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We passed on our way back to our b&b and decided to have dinner. The staff were very friendly and the service was good. The food was all very tasty, well presented and reasonably priced. The only complaint was that 3 of us had the chicken supreme and the portions were a bit on the stingy side. Over-all though, very good and we would go back.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

After a day wandering about with my boyfriend we were hungry and decided to eat in Mc Dermott's as we had eaten there before (starters of garlic mushrooms 9 months ago approx which was lovely and tasty). Upon arriving we enquired if the menu down the back of the restaurant was the same as the bar menu and we were told it was the same and that the lamb dish was sold out. Decided to share a starter of brusetta and mushrooms and we both ordered mains - mine was a pasta in a creamy garlic sauce and my boyfriend ordered bacon and cabbage.

The starter was lovely! Came very quickly by the attentive and friendly waitress, was hot and tasty and we cleared the plate. Our main courses came out quickly but not as expected....we had a little hunt but could not find the cabbage! There was 2 slices of bacon on the plate with white sauce and some broccoli and mash potatoes. Boyfriend enquired with waitress who in fairness did check but she came back apologising saying the cabbage was gone. Why this wasn't flagged by the chef upon ordering I don't know?! Waitress did offer more veg if we wanted.

I ordered the creamy garlic pasta dish - there was no hint of garlic off it and it was quite bland - just tasted of cream which was a bit sickening after a while. Both dishes cost approx €11. When we went up to pay, spotted a 2nd bar menu on the counter which actually looked nicer and cheaper! Came home and ended up eating something more :-(

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Visited Friday evening 31 May 2013. Very welcoming staff, gave the air of a family business. Guinness superb. Meals of hamburger in a large floury bun and home cooked chips highly recommended, as was smoked salmon fillet with new boiled potatoes and two fresh fillets of atlantic cod. Would return tomorrow. If in the area don't miss it, lovely surroundings and very comfortable. No music in restaurant. Parking beside premises off main road.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stopped by for lunch and had the fish cake appetizer and the bacon with cabbage. Of course, by bacon, it's Irish bacon which is a nice little slab of succulent pork. The food was perfectly cooked and tasty. Service was clinical, but polite. Good place to stop in off the road.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Whilst stopping in the nearby hotel we decided to seek out the local hostelry for a meal and a good pint. On both counts we were pleasantly surprised. The food was served in the main bar area which has a nice log burner and several box type seating areas. The dark haired waitress who took our order wasn't very pleasant or helpful but we decided to ignore her inhospitable attitude and place an order for food. I opted for the chicken & leak pie whilst my partner choose the bar burger. As we were told abruptly that the food was freshly prepared and would take at least 20 minutes, we ordered a round of drinks also. The pint of Guinness was creamy and excellent, as a Guinness drinker I appreciated the quality.
After the pre set time a blond English lady brought the dishes of food. The pie was served in a ceramic bowl with a flakey pastry top, on the side was a beautifully presented plate of seasonal vegetables and mash. I was delighted with the quality and the quantity. My partner's burger was made of good meat but unfortunately it was a little overdone. The chunky chips accompanying it were freshly made and much appreciated. All in all, we were satisfied with the meals which added to the drinks came to a reasonable €31.30.
I would certainly return and have no hesitation in recommending this pub. If the first waitress had been friendlier I would have rated the place even higher. So don't be put off, the food is very good and the Guinness is excellent.