“Disappointing”

Cromleach Lodge Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castlebaldwin
Reviewed June 26, 2009

After reading glowing reviewws for Cromleach I decided it was the place for my husband and I to have our first weekend away for over 2 years. The room was gorgeous with a wonderful view over Lough Arrow. A few minor things to the exterior due to building works that have been suspended. There was a terrible smell at the room entrance due to a leaking ceiling.

We enjoyed the hot tub, which has a lovely setting and the entire spa area has been designed and decorated to a high standard.

We were really excited to go dinner as people had said it was so good. Looking through the menu I was expecting an amazing meal as mains are price at €31, starters at €14.
I choose the scallops as they were noted as being local, only coming from Donegal. They were fantastic, however the tomato salsa was a little heavy for their delicate flavour. My husband had the beef salad, which he said was very good, if a little too large for a starter.

I chose the Lobster & Prawn ragaout, again due to the proximity of the seafood. However in hindsight this was a very bad choice. The Ragaout sauce was very bitter and the praws and lobster was very hard with no flavour due to overcooking.
Vegetables were served with it, however they all tasted of cinnamon. My husband chose the duck but it was also disappointing, dry and not a lot of taste.

Later that evening I suffered the most horrendous vomiting episodes, all night long.
I was unable to do anything for most of the next day due to exhaustion from being so ill.
I missed breakfast, my husband did say it was very nice.

Obviously, we did not eat in the restaurant the next evening.
The setting is lovely and the hotel needs to increase it's standards with the prices it charges. I don't think we will be returning after such a terrible experience.

1  Thank muinchkin

Reviewed June 22, 2009

We have just returned from Cromleach Lodge - the accomadation, food and the Ciunas Spa were wonderful. The staff were friendly and very helpful. Christy and Moira pride and love of Cromleach shows in every aspect of the quality of service provided to each guest. If one is looking to unwind in a place of unspoiled beauty free from the hustle and bustle then Cromleach is the place.
After staying at Cromleach Lodge one feels that you have just spent time with old friends and you cannot wait to see them again and experience their hospitality once more.
I would recommend that one takes a scroll to the Labby or one of the other walks in the area and enjoy the views of Lake Arrow

Reviewed June 10, 2009

Coming back for a valentine weekend with friends after having got married at Cromleach in October 2008 was just perfect. If anyone is planning to get married in the West of Ireland I would strongly recommend talking to Cromleach as they can be only be described as experts in making the occassion special.

Moira and Christy Tighe,the owners, are the perfect hosts and their staff are a true credit to them. The hotel and staff instantly relax you and the views of Lough Arrow are always stunning whatever the weather.

We spent the weekend taking some wonderful walks always to be greeted upon our return and to sample the wonderful food on offer along with some fabulous wine.

The rooms throughout the hotel are always immaculate both in the older and newer parts of the hotel and are best described as understated elegance.

Before leaving we only had one task left which was to book another weekend visit to Cromleach which we hope to be visiting for many years to come.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 7, 2009

My wife and I just celebrated our 1st anniversary there and have just returned today. I feel compelled to tell people that this place is a gem. Service was excellent (ignore previous poor reviews), the staff were more than helpful in all aspects and could not do enough for us. The food wasdivine and the lodge is modern, quiet and spotless from gutter to eve. The scenery is breathtaking too.
Just go!!

Reviewed June 3, 2009

We are just back from a trip to Cromleach Lodge and my one complaint is that we only stayed for one night! The amazing location and views lead to immediate relaxation. The staff are superb and make you feel at home from the moment you arrive. Our room had stunning views-we went for the superior room-it was well worth the 20 euro extra! We tried out the sea weed bath in the spa and were not disappointed! As you luxuriate in your seaweed bath you can look out over the gorgeous lake and hillside-and the mirrored windows means you can see out but no-one can see in! Total relaxation! (and there are two baths-perfect for couples)The service at the spa was second to none-after our bath we were treated to herbal tea & homemade biscuits! All in all it was fabulous but stay for more than one night!

Reviewed May 5, 2009

Go there and try and leave gracefully ! .. they had to drag me out

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 14, 2009

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Cromleach Lodge. It was fantastic value - €260 for B & B and one evening meal for both of us. The food was superb and the rooms were beautiful - Have a look at their excellent website and see for yourself! We were upgraded to a superior room with a magnificent view of the lake. If you are going it would be well worth paying extra to be sure of a view. Bring your swimsuit and have a dip in the outdoor hot-tub overlooking the lake. My elderly parents were with us and the friendly owners and staff bent over backwards to make this an enjoyable and comfortable stay for them - even upgrading them to a de-luxe room as the shower suited their needs. Christy, the owner, insisted on helping my dad carry his plates from the breakfast buffet and Moira, his wife and co-owner even gave me the recipe for her delicious brown bread! Dinner was truly delicious. The hotel is a good base for exploring Yeats country if you can drag yourself away from your room!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebaldwin
9 mi away
77 mi away
Hillcrest Bed and Breakfast
Hillcrest Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 3 in Castlebaldwin

Been to Cromleach Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!