“Not "Bluebook" grade I'm afraid....”

Cromleach Lodge Country House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Castlebaldwin
Reviewed August 14, 2011

Nice hotel but somewhat remote... Food was pretty ok (not as good as I had expected)... Accomodation was good.... Service was just ok.... but it certainly wasn't "Bluebook" grade in my view...

The towels were very worn (and one was slightly torn)... Place lacked atmosphere.... but breakfast was very disappointing.... It was a self-service style stuck in a corner and we were finished breakfast by the time tea/coffee and toast arrived...

If you're looking for somewhere remote..... want plenty of rest (as there's very little to do)... and not looking for anything special, this is an ok place to go, but having spent nearly €400 for one night with dinner, B&B and a few drinks, it certainly wasn't a "Wow" experience that I would be recommending to my mates.... If it was half that price, then perhaps.... so in my view, not worthy of "Bluebook" status (and we picked it as it was in the blue book as we thought it would be to a certain standard).... Sorry...

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HonestOpinionIreland

Reviewed August 14, 2011

My fiance and i came across Cromleach lodge by chance when we were looking for a weekend away at the last minute. Cromleach is a little out of the way but that adds to charm!! The views from Cromleach are spectacular....so when we arrived we where delighted with our choice.

When we arrived we where checked in by Adrianna she was so friendly and welcoming and great at her job. We where then guided to our room by Garret (whom was also very friendly). when we got to our room we were not disappointed...the room was huge as was the bed and bathroom....we also had a lovely balcony. So if this is there standard room id love to see there delux room!!!

Then we move on to the food...like everyone else we loved it!! especially the sweet bread that was at the breakfast buffet!!yum!!

You can see how hard the staff work to make your stay enjoyable...the cleaners clean the rooms twice a day....this is the first time this was done in any of the hotels i have stayed in.

I have given other hotels a five on my trip advisor reviews Cromleach lodge is a six!! If your thinking of going away for the weekend look no further!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2011

we recently stayed at cromleach lodge after we had been before there at a wedding . we had a great time and the accomodation and food was beautiful...especially the dinner. however, the down side for us was the fact that they do not do breakfast in your room, this may not be problematic for most; however we had my disabled father with us and it meant i had to get him up and out, down for breakfast instead of him enjoying breakfast in his room at a leisurely pace. i felt quite strongly about this as cromleach is a four star hotel so it is the least you could expect. i was told that my father could have a continental breakfast in his room (so no irish breakfast) and that he would be charged €17.50 for that. i feel this is ridiculous when you are already paying for your breakfast in the price of the room.
apart from this we did enjoy our stay but not entirely sure we would go back again.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank karen h
Reviewed August 8, 2011

From start to finish this hotel is wonderful. Myself and my boyf stayed here on a Sunday nite and got bed an breakfast all for 79 euro. I was expecting a pretty standard room for wat we wer paying but wow did it exceed my expectations! When we first arrived we booked into the spa and wer met who I believe to b called celine. She was very helpful and friendly and couldnt do enough for us. We had a couples seaweed bath which was utter relaxation, followed by a soak in the outdoor tub. After totally chilling out we checked into our room and wer met by a very friendly receptionist who then called the same celine frm the spa to escort us to our room which she did! We couldnt get over how how willing the staff were to be helpful and deliver the personal touch. Our room was very spacious and just fab! We had a little outdoor terrace on the second floor. We wer provided with complimentary bottled ballygowan and tea an coffee facilities. We even had room service call that evening to check if we wer ok for everything. We went down to get some bar food and wer met with the same friendly hellos frm staff. The next morning the staff again wer all very attentive. The breakfast and food we got in the bar was lovely and looking out ovr lough arrow over breakfast added to how perfect it all was. The staff rly made our stay wonderful. It felt like home away frm home. Wud highly reccommend this to any1 and evry1. 10 out of 10 for cromleadh lodge!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank serenitygetaways
Reviewed July 14, 2011

My husband and I stayed from Saturday 9 to Monday 11 July to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. We booked just a few days in advance for a two night b&b and one evening meal package.

Check-in
There are two reception desks at the area and it appears to be problematic for staff since when they are dealing with one guest they can't see whether there is anyone waiting at the other desk. When we were greeted by a staff member the welcome we received from Adriana was so pleasant and friendly.

The Room
We were given a superior room (I think because my husband mentioned it was our anniversary when booking). The room was very spacious with a queen and a single bed. There was plenty of storage, a mini fridge (very useful), hairdryer, iron and ironing board and TV in the room and complimentary water each day. The large windows were fantastic and the view from the room was beautiful. The decor was dated and mismatched and doesn't fit in with the lovely, modern, bright decor of the bar/lounge, restaurant,etc. The bathroom was tiled with very dark tiles and had dark wood panels (a bit oppressive). Again this was dated and could do with brightening up and modernisation. The shower was powerful and water was always hot but the shower head wasn't great and it was fixed to the wall (just a personal thing of mine but I like to be able to take the shower off the wall). Cleanliness in the room was ok. There were some stains at the bottom of the valance sheet on the queen bed that my husband noticed (he doesn't often notice these things).

WOW! When we had breakfast on the first morning (Sunday) it was so good that I was keen to have dinner that evening. We decided not to have dinner at the hotel on the first evening. The breakfast was delicious and everything was freshly made. Moira's brown bread is fantastic. Unfortunately there was a queue for breakfast on Sunday morning and everyone in the queue was asked to wait in the bar until they were called. This was a bit chaotic since there was no system for ensuring that people were called in the order they had queued in. The second morning was less busy and we had no waiting time. The dinner on Sunday evening was one of the best meals I have ever had. I was in culinary heaven. We couldn't fault any of the food. It really was first class. The service overall was good but could be a bit hit and miss. Staff were pleasant and friendly on the whole but on occasion I could see that they seemed to more attentive of some tables than others. A lovely touch was the very nice chocolates presented to my husband and I to wish us a happy anniversary. it was such a kind gesture and a very pleasant surprise.

Bar
The bar again has great big windows so that guests can enjoy the fabulous views. The furniture was very comfortable and made it very easy to stay a little longer. Unfortunately you needed a little longer because often the bar was left unattended. The bar staff seemed to be doubling as waiting staff in the restaurant. Saturday evening was fine on the whole but on Sunday evening we left and went to our room because of the long wait for a bar person to return to the bar to serve us.

Spa
We would have liked to have used the thermal areas of the spa but decided against it because it wasn't clear how it worked ie whether there was a charge for this if you decided not to have a treatment, time limits, etc. There was a booking system in place but it wasn't clear from the literature whether there were time limits and if a payment was required how long this covered you for eg was it for the duration of your stay? I suppose we could have asked but we decided to go for a seaweed bath in Strandhill instead so we didn't bother using the spa in the end. Perhaps if we had asked or if the literature was a bit clearer we may have availed of the spa facilities. Maybe next time.

Location
The website that we booked the break on (axaleisure.co.uk) said the lodge was in Sligo Town. It was in fact 35-40 mins drive from Sligo Town. It you want a quiet, remote retreat away from the hustle and bustle of things then this is the place for you. It was so peaceful waking up in the morning to the sound of only birds and cows in the fields. Apart from the bar in the hotel, the nearest bar that we could find is about a 5-10 minute drive away and there are no taxis so it's not really an option if you like a tipple. There are lots of walking trail options for walkers and the scenery is fantastic. Alternatively you could hop into your car and take in some of the nearby attractions and towns. We drove in one direction to Carrick-on-Shannon which is a lovely town to visit. We ate in a great Italian restaurant, Vittos. Reasonable prices and good food. Well worth a visit. We also drove to Strandhill for the seaweed baths and lunch in the Strand bar. The sun shone all day and it was another great day out.

All in all I would recommend staying at the Cromleach Lodge if only for those fantastic views and the excellent cuisine.

Room Tip: Our room Holly Brook room 101 had lovely views and was very spacious. The decor does need updating...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SunworshipperDonegal
Reviewed July 12, 2011

We booked a room here last minute on line. room was lovely although in a basement area at the back so not much of a view but as the room was good value we didn't mind. We ate a big meal on the way there so thought it would be a waste to book the restaurant and instead decided we would have bar food. So we were shown into the bar and told the bar man would look after us. We sat there for 15 mins and then I went and took menus and a wine menu from another table to check it out ourselves. I then went to the bar to order and was told he would come over to us in a second. He then proceeded to attend to two other groups walking them through to the restaurant and carrying their drinks for them. At this stage we didnt mind too much and when he came back we eventually got him to take our food and drink order. A group of four came in and he went over to them and tool their order then too. He then came back straight away with their drinks. He then came back to us and told us we couldnt eat in the bar and he would have to move us ( this is when I started to get annoyed.... People were eating in the bar whe we arrived and we still hadn't managed to get a drink after over half an hour of really trying hard). He then went off again and came back empty handed again to ask us our names???? Eventually he marched us all the way through the restaurant and put us at this small table in an old hallway with a view of the back stair case. This was not a bar. Eventually got a drink (needed it) and then our food arrived which was wrong but he insisted that it wasn't. Eventually made him understand and then we were left there. No question of another drink or some water or dessert or anything. Talk about being stuck out the back and forgotten about! I was pretty annoyed at this stage but said we would just leave the hall way we were sitting in and go back to the bar and have a drink. About 5 people waiting for a drink and not a sign of bar person for about 20 minutes according to one person there. Eventually got a drink but just went back to the room as I just could not bother with the next attempt at service. So if you are not there purely for the restaurant you will be made to feel like you shouldn't be there at all! I have enjoyed evenings in hotels before with nice food in the bar and a couple of glasses of wine but here was made to feel as if we were of lesser importance than restaurant goers. Even in terms of being served at the bar!!! I think they need to think about how customers are treated when not booking their restaurant. I was so annoyed at it that I cancelled a spa treatment in the morning just so we could leave earlier. I can see the potential of the hotel and think it's in a lovely location but when there are lots of free tables in the bar with nice views and we were sitting there waiting for our drink I think suddenly telling customers they can't be there will greatly annoy them. It did me!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Caboo_99
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We spent one night at Cromleach Lodge on their "Taste of Cromleach" package which offered incredible value...a super comfortable room for two, dinner off a special menu that night and a cooked to order breakfast and buffet the following morning. The reception and service from start to finish was personal, gracious and just wonderful in every way. Our room was extremely comfortable with a terrace and view of Lough Arrow. We ate lunch, dinner and breakfast with them and all three were excellent. We received a warm welcome from Christy (the owner) and his constant presence ensures that high standards are maintained. Everyone we encountered couldn't be nicer. A special note re: Christine in the restaurant who takes the art of gracious service to a whole new level. I highly recommend this property and hope to return!

Room Tip: Ask about their special packages, they are great value and well worth it!
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 52MAN52
Also consider these accommodations in or near Castlebaldwin
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Sligo
#2 of 2 in Ballymote
Riverside Hotel
Riverside Hotel
#2 of 8 in Sligo

Been to Cromleach Lodge Country House Hotel? Share your experiences!