“Wonderful hotel at convenient location.”
Review of Relais Angimbe

Relais Angimbe
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel to stay at in any case, but it is particularly convenient for visiting the Greek temple at Segesta, and going on to Erice or Trapani. In our own case, we flew into Palermo from Rome, rented a car at the airport, and then headed for the hotel, which took less than an hour.

The rooms are spacious and impeccably clean. The breakfast was wonderful. We didn't try the restaurant for the evening meal.

Tip: Get the GPS coordinates from the hotel via email. They were dead-on, and I wouldn't like to try to find the place without them.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ohlander

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Very good hotel, small (15 rooms), with outdoor pool & bar. The restaurant was excellent. The hotel is perfectly placed for easy trips to many of the attractive sites in western Sicily, including Segesta (10 mins), Mozia, Erice, Selinunte, Marsala, Castellamare del Golfo, and Palermo.

Room Tip: Opt for a 'superior' room, it's well worth it.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This hotel has he potential to be magnificent. Unfortunately, potential is not reality.

On the positive side, the rooms are spacious, the grounds are beautiful, and their infinity pool looked wonderful (unfortunately, didn't have time to go in). The staff were pleasant. And the hotel is convenient to Segesta.

However, the water in the bathroom is not potable. (Not my typical experience in a supposed 4 star hotel), the air conditioning in your room is controlled by the front desk (never saw that before!), and when we wanted to turn it up a bit late at night, we actually needed to call to get someone to adjust it for us, and the wifi (which they advertise as "free in your rooms") only works in a courtyard area. (So if you want to sit in the courtyard to use your portable device, fine. If you want to do it in your room, tough.) The coffee/tea/cappuchino machine at the breakfast buffet was pretty cool, but the food selections on the buffet left much to be desired.

And I have never been in a 4 star hotel where there was not a single box of tissues anywhere in the room. That one, I still do not understand.

Management, get your act together. Filter the bathroom water, add some routers, and pay more attention to some details and you will have a wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KenfromNY
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We visited this hotel together with some friends past summer and, to be perfectly objective and unbiased, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Not because the staff was being unfriendly, absolutely not, simply because the management doesn't know how to run a successful hotel.

Honestly, there were some good points. I experienced the bed as okay, the pool was nice and, as stated here above, the personnel was very friendly.

But, there were some bad points too. The food was absolutely not Sicilian and very, very below-par. Also a pity that several wines on the wine-list weren't available. Then, brown water coming out of our shower. Airco that didn't work. The electricity that shut down for half an hour. 50 EUR just to use the soccer-court for an hour. And did you ever see an extra on your bill of 150EUR for some toast and chips that was given together with the aperitif without asking for it? I certainly never did, not in Italy (where this is usually given for free as an extra service!), not anywhere else. Then, the management being very unfriendly, at times simply arrogant, towards clients. Ever seen the bosses of an hotel sunbathing/swimming at/in the pool of the hotel itself? Refusing to greet to customers from day one? Or smoking a cigar next to some people who are dining? Well, I surely did now.

Also, apparently, even though I simply never ever (ever ever) experienced this before, it is absolutely necessary to wear a swimming cap in this particular pool.. according to the hotels' bosses. Okay then, it is an odd sight but we adapted to the rule. But then when we saw one of the bosses himself swim in the pool WITHOUT the swimming cap and we asked for a conversation with the Mister but he simply refused to talk to us except saying "Get out of here, I don't have any time for you".. And simply continued sunbathing and talking to his friends. This isn't the definition you'd expect from a professional, experienced and capable management.

And, even though this isn't a particular blame towards the hotel itself, it is absolutely incomprehensible that such a beautiful region as Sicily is getting completely spoilt because of the garbage the natives simply throw next to the street. At times it seemed as if you were passing a rubbish dump. And I won't even get into the details regarding the beast these things attracts, the health and/or the smell of it.

What is my conclusion? As long as this hotel is owned by the same owners or the current owners not adapt to some normal standards an hotel owner would have, then I simply suggest you'd continue your search for a hotel and avoid this one. It is a real shame, the same place could be so much better but when even the locals are gossiping about this place and several other local people told us to avoid this hotel in the future, well, I guess you know where you stand. We made a serious (expensive) mistake coming here. Avoid the same mistake happening to you because you will regret it.

7  Thank gnlcdtrnt
Reviewed September 1, 2012

This place is easy to find as soon as you get going the right way on the main road after visiting segesta. Massive rooms but ours had very little natural light. Clean and serviceable but felt a little austere. Pool welcome although hill views impaired by motorway closely. Drinks are dear as was the food which tried to be classy in the restaurant but tardy service and some quite dull dishes barely justified the price.clearly aiming to be high class hotel but somehow lacked the atmosphere to pull it off - but a perfectly acceptable stop on our trip round Sicily

Room Tip: Use the pool and perhaps eat somewhere before you arrive
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CJF111
Angimbe, Responsabile reception at Relais Angimbe, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for your review and we shall take account of it to increase the quality of our services, especially for the restaurant.

Looking forward to see you again at Relais Angimbè,

Kind regards !

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Nicely located (although between motorway and main road), but what a management. I would say the place survives despite the management. When you want a drink at the swimming pool, you can start finding the barman. Be prepared to pay 6 euro for a Heineken. With the sea 20 minutes away, the chef can't come up with some proper seafood dishes and we were tired of the daily semifreddo. The bike location company they work with delivers below standard bikes. Airco down a couple of times. A pitty. Certainly not worth 4 stars.

3  Thank rogerleyman
Reviewed August 6, 2012

(I've already posted this review before, but it was removed and I think I know why, I've revised my review and took out all parts which were inappropriate. If the owners are angry with me that I've put all this online, they should have treated us well in the first place. Also everything in this review is 100% honest and actually happened.)

This is my very first review, in fact I made this account mainly to express my disappointment in this hotel.
Let me summarize before I proceed into the details:
Good points: Beautiful view, the food (kind of), internet connection.
Bad points: nearly all of the bad points of the hotel can be summarized in two words "the owner".

Now, on to the detailed explanation!

As I mentioned before, the view from the hotel was pretty nice, same for the hotel itself. It's nice. Internet connection is pretty steady, I'm writing this review using their internet connection right now. The food was okay at times. Not unbelievable, just okay.
Now, I said that it was okay at times. Well the other times, it's pretty bad. Also, there's barely any variation in the served dishes. The pasta was sub-par, especially for a hotel in Italy. Also, the quality of the fish was pretty bad, despite having the ocean about 20 minutes away from the hotel. How that you actually dare to serve that kind of quality with an ocean so near really baffles me.
The dessert... yeah, it was the same all week long (except for one exception on their side and one organized by ourselves. Yes, we had to go buy desserts for ourselves in nearby city. Go figure). Every day again it was a semifreddo of some sorts. When I say every day, I mean this literally. Every. Single. Day.
There were about 20 wines on the winelist... but 60% of the time we chose one, their answer was "Sorry, that's not in right now". Let's say there were actually about 5-10 wines in the hotel. The wine we got served when we didn't ask for one specifically was... bad. No way around it, it was bad.

Now, I've been to Italy numerous times, it's not an exaggeration when I say around 50 (probably more) times and this is the first time EVER that the hotel made us wear bathing-cap in the pool. Yes, a bathing-cap. Because they have "special filters" in the pool. I have a pool at home too, our hairy dog swims in it daily (without bathing-cap, mind you) and after 12 years it's still working and perfectly in order. So when they said "special filters" they probably meant "cheap filters".
The most outrageous thing of all is that the owners family members (who were not bald, for your information) was allowed to swim in it without bathing-cap, when we called the owner out on this, she called us liars and other things but I'll elaborate on this later on.
Also, the pool must have been "coated" with scouring-paper, since every time I went for a swim, I lost some skin. It wasn't just me, every single member of our +20 people group hurt him/herself in the pool due to the bad coating of the pool.
Now, beneath the pool was a toilet if you really need to go quickly... I don't recommend using it. I'm not going to elaborate here. Just don't do it.
The rooms were okay, the beds were kinda comfortable, not bad but nothing exceptional. The shower was not good, there barely came any water out of it. Just enough to wash yourself. Also, the water that came out of it was brown and smelled bad. Same for the washing-bowl. The hangers to hang your towel on were loose and were on the verge of breaking off, same for the toilet-paper-hanger.
There's also a football field in the hotel, a good one too. The only problem is that you have to pay 40 euros for one hour of using it. Whilst I don't really mind paying for it, 40 is a little much.
Now that I'm talking about ridiculous prices. When we went for our aperitif in the hotel's bar (which is only open when they feel like it, by the way) we got a bunch of snacks along with it. Cookies and such, nothing special. Afterwards, they charged us 140 euros for the snacks. For cookies and chips and the like.
Also, every morning I woke up with some rash, this increased as our vacation proceeded on. I have no absolute proof for this but I think that the beds weren't very clean. But as I said, I don't have any concrete proof of this.
Now, about the feud with the owner I talked about earlier. Let me elaborate on it. As we were swimming (some of us without our swimming-caps, I'll give you that) we noticed that the father of the owner was swimming without a cap too. Fine, we were doing it too, no problem. But afterwards, the owner called us out and told us we were not allowed to swim without cap. When we brought to her attention that her family themselves were doing it too, we were promptly called liars and had to abide to her rules since it's we're in her "house" and she's the president. When we tried talking some sense into the woman, she downright ignored us. As we asked one of the crew-members (of which about 3 or 4 were friendly, the others... so-so) to call the father and ask him themselves, the owner followed them into the back-room and ordered them to stop. She then proceeded to utter all kinds of nonsense about how she is trying to preserve nature by making us wear caps (whilst there was lots of garbage all around the hotel, just saying), we tried stopping her and get her to talk about the matter in question again. But again, she ignored us and kept on rambling.
Later on, when the discussion was over (it wasn't really one, all she did is get angry at us and ignore what we said. Pretty one-sided if you ask me) one of our group members tried talking to a family member of the hotel-owner in a civilized way, all he got in reply was to "go away, I'm busy right now". Whilst he was just sitting at the side of the pool.

I'm writing this whilst we still are in the hotel, this is our last evening here and I'm glad about. We've put up with all the strange rules we were told during the vacation but today was too much for us. This vacation wasn't a vacation, since my image of a vacation is to take a break and de-stress... well there wasn't much of de-stressing, just more of it. Thanks a lot. You won't be seeing us here again, and I'll make sure every time someone asks for a good hotel in Sicily they know how preposterous and disappointing this hotel was. They ruined our vacation (partly) and this absolutely unacceptable.

I have to add that I do feel kind of bad for some of the crew-members, they were friendly and did pretty well (taking into consideration that they have to put up with that kind of owner, I want to congratulate them. I couldn't handle a human being like the owner).

You want a hotel in Sicily? Don't go to this one. Whilst it has it good sides, they don't outweigh the bad by far.

Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Don't take a room near the patio, you'll be woken up really early because of the music. Also...
9  Thank Dangoke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Calatafimi-Segesta
Hotel Ciuri di Badia
Hotel Centrale
Hotel Centrale
#2 of 3 in Alcamo
Residence Villaggio Petruso - Balestrate

Been to Relais Angimbe? Share your experiences!