“The perfect stop over enroute to Switzerland”
Review of Hotel Sonnenhof

Hotel Sonnenhof
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Perl
Reviewed May 7, 2014

We discover The Sonnenhof four years ago and stop off here four times a year on our drive to Switzerland. Nicole and all the Staff make us feel at home. The location is perfect, just off the motorway. Rooms are excellent and the food and wines are too. We have booked again this year and can not recommend this highly enough - you will not be disappointed. Oh and the price is fantastic!

Adrian & Vicki Shapley

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ADRIAN S

Reviewed January 14, 2014

Very welcoming and clean hotel. Stopped off on the way down to Garmisch which was about 1/2 way from Calais and only a mile or so off route. Dogs welcomed and charged €10 for 2. Restaurant served lovely freshly prepared traditional food and we rounded off our stay with a good continental style breakfast. Stopping on way back as difficult to fault.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Very nice quiet hotel in the hills between Moezel and Saar with great kitchen (if the weather is nice you can eat on the terrace overlooking a tree garden; very nice breakfast) and beautifully refurbished rooms. Owners and personnel are very friendly. Free Wifi (works perfectly). Ideal for an overnight stop when travelling from England or the Netherlands to Austria f.ex. or for visiting the beautiful Saar/Mosel-region.

Room Tip: all rooms are nicely decorated and quiet (I've been there already 4 times in 4 different rooms)
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My wife, my older daughter, and I visited this hotel in late September 2012. The owner was outstanding and went out of his way make our stay as comforting as possible! A classic rural European experience! The local wine is excellent and countryside is breathtaking. It is quiet, restful, and pleasant. I highly recommend this hotel and restaurant!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Excellent, clean, spacious room in the new hotel that has recently been built by the restaurant. A lovely garden, perfect for a beer a warm summer day. Indoor and outdoor dinner possibilities in a tasteful environment. Dinner of good, typical countryside German kitchen. Excellent breakfast. Very friendly staff.
The road outside was rather busy until late and early, so ask for a room that faces the garden.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I really like this Hotel, which I booked on the strength of Trip Advisor reviews. While close to the Autobahn the hotel is located in a tranquil rural village. I discovered many years ago that by avoiding city hotels higher standards and better value can often be found in country locations. Parking is easy and feels safe; the rooms are large, very nicely decorated and furnished and also spotlessly clean. There was some noise from the occasional tractor going by (it was harvest time) but I still slept well.
I made the initial booking using Booking.com and only one room was booked. I needed two rooms and was able to clarify this directly with the Hotel by e-mail. Following several hours of travelling from Switzerland this place was perfect to relax and rest. My family members, including teenagers, also liked the hotel including the evening meal and breakfast. The evening service was a little slow at times but we were in no rush and didn’t mind. Some of the staff speak little or no English but they were all friendly and helpful. I enjoyed the communication challenge and it made a welcome change from the other touristy places that we visited on our holiday where everyone spoke English.
The restaurant is popular with locals at the weekend and so a table may have to be reserved. It was nice to see a group of retired men in the reception/bar area on the Sunday morning when we checked out - the atmosphere seemed very relaxed and friendly. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Upon arriving, there was an array of slightly more expensive cars parking directly in front of the entrance (God forbid you have to park it where nobody can see it...). Upon entering, the hotel reception had a sign to walk to the bar area for checkin. Somebody was with us and they showed us through a labirynth of hallways to our room. A few loose electrical wires dangling from the neatly painted ceiling were visible on the way.
The room had a waterbed, which on one side was pretty warm, even though the temperature was set to low. Quickly crawling underneath the bed and unplugging helped to solve the problem. Outside we had 36°C so sleeping on a sauna bed is not ideal. Anyway.
I neatly unpacked my smartphone charger, plugged it into the outlet next to the bed. No power... Didn't I just unplug something else and thus create a free working outlet? yups, so plugged it in underneath the bed and lo and behold : power.
The room did not have airconditioning, but was not scorching hot either. The rooms look great, are neatly kept clean. Some rooms have the welcome map with hotel infos, some don't.
Wlan is there, albeit in a rather moderate signal strenght. If you got signal, don't move.
The bathroom is modern, but has some beauty flaws. One of the shower doors was unhinged near the bottom and gave the impression of falling down any second now. And the shower floor is so slippery that I felt I was slowly moving whilst standing still. be careful there.

Bar service forgot us once in the evening after ordering drinks. After about 40 minutes they noticed somethign was wrong and brought the drinks slightly later.

At breakfast, the same happened. Upon ordering eggs and bacon, nothing happened. I had to ask again whereupon the breakfast was served a few minutes later. Strange, since both in the evening and in the morning there were hardly any guests left and the staff was not stressed.

On checking out, they had to crosscheck with management, because one of our party had ordered a single room, but was given a double room. So things were not that clear, but it posed not too much of a problem.

All in all, not bad for the rpice, but expect not to be pampered like a king either. Don't get me wrong, it's a good hotel, but make sure to find a few flaws and do contact the management to direct their attention to certain points.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Perl
Landhotel Saarschleife
#1 of 3 in Losheim am See
Hotel Laux
Hotel Laux
#1 of 3 in Merzig

Been to Hotel Sonnenhof? Share your experiences!