As I reviewed the fantastic prizeotel in Bremen (which is also a budget hotel although it costs a couple of EUR more per night) a few days ago, I was interested to see what the B&B would be like. After all, I'd never stayed in one before. I used to see them all over the place near highways and I'd always imagined them to be like Accor's Etap (now re-branded to Ibis Budget) franchise.
And indeed, the similarities are striking. B&B offers hotel rooms at bargain prices (sometimes starting as low as 45 EUR for a double room), advertises its style as basically no frills/no nonsense and parts of the concept are the same (location near highway ramps, airports, industrial estates; payment upon check-in; PIN codes for access to rooms, ...)
Check-in went smoothly, although the receptionist and her friend were more interested in doing their nails and watching TV. Other patrons seemed a bit seedy but may have been innocent travelling salespeople or construction workers. We did not get a receipt (we paid cash so not really a big deal). The room itself was very small but clean enough - the bathroom, too. How I hate shower curtains in hotels - they are sooo unhygienic. The rest was pretty unimpressive ... very bare, stuffy (a/c did not work or was shut off). No luggage rack, just a small wardrobe. A bit worn, scratch marks on one of the walls. I actively disliked the color scheme (bright greens, dark blues). The beds were firm enough but the pillows were a joke they were so thin. You had to fold them to get at least some neck support.
Not located in one of the better neighborhoods. Not many dinner options: a KFC and a McDonald's about one km up the road - that's it. Close to the airport, so convenient for us as we were flying out of CGN the next morning.
A really average kind of budget hotel, although I felt this one to be unnecessarily grim and depressing. Totally okay if it's for one night or if you are on a tight budget. Do not stay here for any kind of romantic atmosphere or nicety.
I give this hotel an "average" rating just because the room was clean - otherwise I would have gone lower.
- good location in relation to the major highways and CGN airport
- reasonably clean
- disinterested staff @ reception
- shower curtains
- stuffy room & a/c not working
- desolate/boring/mildly disturbing neighborhood
- very functional, bordering on the austere
- drab color scheme
- thin pillows
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The B&B Hotel Koln-Airport is located in Gremberghoven, which is about 8 kilometres away from Cologne/Bonn Airport and 10 kilometres from the city centre. The A4 motorway can be reached within 1 kilometre. At the Hotel free parking is available (subject to availability). The 104 single, double and spacious family rooms are equipped with television incl. Free Sky-TV, desk, bathroom with shower and WC, soundproofed windows, air conditioning and free WiFi. The breakfast buffet can be booked for a small additional fee. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- B&B Hotel Koeln-Airport Germany/Gremberghoven