“Nothing special, utterly overrated to me!”
Review of Le temps de vivre

Le temps de vivre
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Ambilly
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 14, 2015

Well I am afraid I've got to differ with many of the reviewers here. I guess I didn't have the same experience. A couple of friends had mentioned this restaurant to us which is only a short trip away from my house so I figured I would give it a try with another couple of friends. I was probably misled by the expectations coming into this restaurant but the first impression was not good but you know what they say: "Don't judge the book by its cover". So here's how it went for me:

LOCATION & DECOR:
- This restaurant can use some refreshing! The outside looks more like a mountain shelter than a proper semi-gastronomic restaurant,(sorry, that's no lie!) I found it pretty uninviting but that could be a minor details if the service and quality of food compensate for any lack of restaurant presentation. Interior is a reflection of the outside. The decor is rather purple heavy and outdated. The restaurant seems to enjoy some good reviews but it doesn't seem obvious that the decor has some problems. Aside from that the really unpleasant moment came after dessert when I paid a visit to the toilette.

FOOD AND SERVICE:
- The food was alright, we all had a menu and I don't know if it would be much more appropriate to try this restaurant for dinner than for lunch because the portions were really tiny at lunch time. The overall meal was alright, I emphasize on "alright", not excellent, not extraordinary and not good enough for me to feel compelled to return.

- We were a table of 4. I noticed the manager of the restaurant greeted several customers and asked other guests for feedback on the food, our table was an exception I guess.

- At one point I overheard the restaurant manager asking our server to cut my choice of tarte into a smaller piece than what she had meant to give me. You don't want your guests to hear the restaurant manager whisper that kind of stinginess, especially to first timers! That kind of philosophy exposed and revealed to a first time customer is a killer. It was for me anyways, that wrapped up my unimpressive experience. That shows much more concern about the business side of things than care for quality service delivery to new customers. Really...don't spoil it with that kind of mentality!

- Toilette experience: DO NOT DRY YOUR HANDS WITH THEIR TOWELS! You'll walk out with dirtier hands! They don't wash their fabric towels? Seriously? That lack of respect and customer care goes beyond any stereotype of French restaurant service. May be I was there at the wrong time but I am not spending one euro at this restaurant ever again. I prefer to have a complete gastronomic experience (not semi-gastro) somewhere else for that price bracket.

4  Thank Giankee

Reviewed March 19, 2015

Small unpretentious restaurant close to the Geneva border at Moillesulaz and the tram terminus.
The food is delicious, with good local wines to accompany it. The 6 course €46 menu is copious and varied - see photos.
Very popular, so reservation is recommended.

Alan, Bruxelles

Reviewed November 24, 2014

First of all - don't judge this restaurant by its website as I'm sure you'll agree, most restaurant websites are not that great and do not give you a really good idea of what they look like or the food they serve. The decor is now more modern with a purple interior, not yellow/orange as shown in some pics. The ambiance is nice and fairly romantic with dim lighting, real roses on the tables, crisp white linen, etc.

After having read reviews here and elsewhere and seeing photos, my partner chose this restaurant for my birthday. We had the 6 course meal for 41€ (or you can have 7 for 46€). They also have other menus with less courses, and also à la carte.

It was more than enough food and we got to taste lots of different things (my favourite part). We were welcomed with a few savoury appetizers - cheese cubes, olives, etc upon arrival, an amuse-bouche (sweet appetizer), and later offered a bread basket to go with our meal, filled with different varieties of fresh bread.

It was the photos of their seafood "Interpretation" which really attracted me and the taste really was as good as the photos I saw. The langoustines, prawns, Saint Jacques scallops were just delicious and even the little salad was perfect. They were all covered in (and not drowned in) just the right amount of sauce. They all created a melody of taste sensations in your mouth.

The foie gras trio entrée was also nice, but I prefer the 'raw' foie gras to the cooked version which was perhaps a bit too oily.

The mains were also very nice and had it not been a special occasion I would have been quite happy just having one of their mains because it was huge and very satisfying (see photos).

They have a huge selection of desserts to choose from to satisfy all tastes from ice cream to cakes/tartes and also specials of the day (such as raspberry mousse). I believe they are all home made. I ordered the chestnuts (marrons) with mini meringues since they are in season now.

Overall I was very happy with the exceptional taste of everything.
The service was friendly, polite and helpful.

We went on a Friday night and the place was entirely booked so you would need to book in advance especially for a Friday or Saturday night.

The restaurant is quite close to Geneva which is really handy as you would never get this quality of meal/dishes for this price in Geneva! Overall I'm very pleased and we would definitely go back.

It's in the Michelin guide but with no stars. In my experience even if they have 0 stars these restaurants are all excellent. http://viamichelin.com

2  Thank champhoto
Reviewed August 26, 2014 via mobile

The restaurant had nothing special. The service was okay, and the food good.

The best part however is the price: €32 for appetizer, entree, and desert.

1  Thank Dorian S
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We were excited to go there and we finally got disappointed.
The service was nice however the food was just awful. We both took fish plates and regretted it.
Finally, as desert, the profiteroles were only made of icecream.