“Stunning view from a very dated room”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel du Quercy

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lauzerte
Hotel du Quercy
Kent UK
“Stunning view from a very dated room”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

Lauzerte is officially one of the prettiest villages in France, a title it well deserves. This 2-star hotel is typical of rural French hotels - the restaurant is freshly decorated and the food is excellent. The rooms, on the other hand, haven't been touched since de Gaulle was in power. Shower spray not fixed to the wall, woodchip paper - that sort of thing. The view however was breathtaking - right across a wide valley to distant hills - the route I would be walking the next day. The room was clean, the water hot and the bed comfortable. Stay if you're not a fusspot. It's not in the main square, so be prepared for a stiffish climb to where the bars/restarants are.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room at the back
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

We were not staying in the hotel but came for Sunday lunch on the terasse outside. Service was very friendly and the food was delicious, including (unusually for France in our experience) lovely home made desserts. Four courses with coffee and a bottle of well chosen wine was around 80€. We have been before, have always eaten well and will undoubtedly return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah W
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

Make sure you are in an upstairs room. The view will compensate for the bizarre plumbing. The restaurant in the hotel was good and we had a pleasant meal. When the weather warms up the terrace would be charming. There is not much alternative in the small village.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I met a good friend while vacationing in the region and enjoyed a very pleasant dinner, mid-week in April 2013. None were guests at the hotel, and we had made reservations only earlier during the day---as other plans fell through. We were accorded--despite short-staff--immediate and pleasant greeting and seating. My husband selected an excellent regional cassoulet--surpassing any from New Orleans' French Quarter: Quercy duck confit, pork sausage and white beans produced layered, intense flavor. I enjoyed tender, flavorful lamb au-jus accompanied by young, oven-baked potatoes, and our friend--a vegetarian of more than two decades--was well-accomodated by the kitchen with oven-roasted seasonal and root vegetables. We enjoyed a bottle of a moderately priced Cahors-region Malbec, and a generous selection of regional cheeses. We finished the evening at our convenience---even though the server had departed and the chef/patron waited patiently to close for the night.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sofia, Grad Sofiya, Bulgaria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

These words of wisdom were offered to us by the chef at this hotel when our party of four attempted to dine at this hotel nestled in the heart of picturesque Lauzerte. Stunning as they may be, they did provide insight into where the waiting staff had received their training in the art of customer service, passing no doubt with honours. My wife & I had thought to dine here as a result of visiting Lauzerte the day before - and having been visiting the region for over 13 years & being aware that in August, establishments are busy, we rang on the morning of our visit (11.30am) and booked a table for four people at 8pm on the same day. Which, when we arrived at 7.55pm, was not ready/had been given to another party. I should say at this juncture that this is not a big restaurant. Once directed to alternate table tucked inside the hotel itself, not on the lovely outside terrace we'd wanted, we were seated with menus - and ignored. At around 8.25, my good friend and brother in law finally managed to stop one of the two staff and ask if we could perhaps have a drink and some bread / other while we waited to order. Her reply - & I quote "what is your question? Can't you see I am busy and there are other people here? When I am ready I will come to you? If you are prepared to wait for me I am here for you." This was delivered in manner usually reserved for expressing comment on something you've stepped in while walking. Strangely, we had been under the impression that we had been doing exactly that, waiting. Based on this, we decided that we should leave - that and the fact it was now closer to 8.50 & it would seem that we could expect service later, whenever that might be; perhaps 9.30? 10pm? Arrival of our order - who knows?
As we left, I approached the person in question & I politely told her (& I stress politely) that her communication was quite possibly the worst I'd experienced in a restaurant anywhere in the world; her response was less than polite & entirely consistent with her view & delivery expressed prior.
Enter the harassed chef out of the kitchen to complete the picture to express the phrase above. I'll not bore you with his entire monologue; the review title provides the highlight.

Our party that evening consisted of four expat New Zealanders, two fluent in French - having owned a house in the region for over 13 years and all having lived internationally for over 30 years. I am always reluctant to review an establishment poorly as I am acutely aware of the challenges faced in this industry; however after allowing the passage of time to pass so that I could objectively reflect on our experience; I honestly cannot find any reason for the treatment we received. Accordingly I cannot comment in any other way. For an establishment that wants to present itself as a dining destination, perhaps with aspirations of greatness, I respectfully suggest it reviews it's approach as it blights the normal levels of service we are used to France & in this region. (We are there every year)
On leaving this establishment, we went to Montcuq, around 15 mins away by car, went to the local cafe/bar & enjoyed exemplary levels of service and great food, proving that our experience at the hands of the staff & chef at Hotel Du Quercy was not typical of the region. I can assure you that I, my wallet and those of my friends will not be seen here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends