“Spot on!”

Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat
Malta
“Spot on!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We booked at the HIE as it was one of the few hotels near Barcelona that offered quadruple family accommodation at an affordable rate. Our other options were self catering apartments - something we wanted to avoid as much as possible. Well absolutely no regrets about our choice! This hotel is close to the tranquil suburb of Sant Cugat on a newly built business park. We were fully aware that this hotel was away from Barcelona, but given we had a car we didn't bother as much.

Rooms are a bit small for a family of four but nonetheless suitable and functional. No balconies. Impeccably cleaned everyday and appropriately replenished with linen and towels. Free secure parking on the premises was another plus. The complimentary breakfast was quite okay, however after 9am the queues could get forbiddingly long. The 24hr reception staff was helpful and efficient. All spoke fluent alternative non-catalan languages (English-Italian-French), something amazingly rare we've discovered when around Barcelona / Catalunya!

The (now customary) lack of a mini bar or refrigerator inside the rooms was a bit of an awkward situation. We needed to keep some medicines cool and this meant having to fetch ice-buckets from the lobby twice or three times a day.

Wifi is available but not cheap. There is no pool or fitness centre, but who cares - we weren't after them anyway. There's also a restaurant at the hotel but didn't bother to try it as we were away for most of the time.

The hotel is well positioned 5 minutes walk away to Sant Juan railway station with excellent connections to Placa Catalunya (approx 25 mins ride) and hence the metro of Barcelona. We found the railway the best option to visit Barcelona as it takes away the hassle with the traffic / parking. The last train back is at 23.50, and even frequency wise the service is well served.

Our choice at this hotel was spot-on. It's a hub whereby you can easily reach Barcelona and other interesting places around Catalunya. HIE ticked all of our requirements. Considering the price we paid (less than EUR 500 for eight nights), I think the place offers tremendous value. I can recommend this place anytime, and will surely reconsider it on our next visit to Barcelona.

Room Tip: All rooms have the same layout.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank GOH77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The worst HI I've stayed at in five years. Carlos is an idiot who should be fired immediately. I asked if there was a shuttle service after walking down the dead-end road their inconvenient Holiday Inn sign pointed towards. It was 12:30am, my first night in Spain and I'm a 26-year old female. After exiting the metro, this small sign led me on a ten minute walk along a train track with no lighting. I finally reached a dead-end that led me underneath a highway. 20 minutes later, I finally got to the hotel and asked the receptionist if they offer a shuttle service. After he said no, I calmly explained that I had never felt so unsafe at a Holiday Inn before. I told me him about my experience and he laughed as he explained that their location is safe and that nothing serious has ever happened at their hotel. This was beside the point. He was unwilling to listen to me at all and said "it may not be up to your standards, but this is a safe area. Nothing has ever happened here!". I've never complained after staying at these hotels for five years, but I was so taken back by the poor customer service that I have to say something. The worst Holiday Inn experience, please look elsewhere. It's also in the middle of nowhere, a 30 minute metro ride to Barcelona and not worth the inconvenience at all. I even stayed for free using my Platinum points and wish I had paid to stay somewhere closer and better all around with friendly employees.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Brittany K
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Brittany K,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay at our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Sant Cugat del Valles hotels

Milton Keynes
Reviewed July 4, 2012

If you're in Barcelona as a tourist with a car this is great. Free parking, free breakfast, 10 min walk from station which is 30 min from Barcelona centre. It's also possible to park free at the station at weekends and if you can find a place in the week also. The hotel is modern and very comfortable. The free breakfast is good (but the free in room coffee isn't!) Overall, very good.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank BenMiltonKeynes
Kfar Vradim, Israel
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We have chosen this hotel for its location near major highway so traveling in Catalunya was easy. This hotel is new and therefore better equipped than other Holiday Inn Expresses we stayed in Spain. The room is definitely bigger even if it looks the same as everywhere.The staff is polite - they even gave us free Internet for a week! The breakfast was also better than in other places with variety of juices, fruits etc.The only problem is that GPS did not know the location because it is so new.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel 5 night before our cruise. It was a wonderful value. It was only a 5 minute walk from the metro station to Barcelona's city center. We arrived early in the morning after an all-night flight from the US and the friendly staff allowed us to check into our room early so we could rest. They even allowed us to have breakfast while we were waiting for them to clean up the room for us. The computer in the lobby was not working so they gave me the password to their wifi so I could use my computer in my room for free, even though they normally charge $9.95/24 hours for its use. They had a small lobby bar where we enjoyed cocktails each evening, and the breakfast provided each morning was good. The cost for 4 adults in a single room was only $65/night so it was a great value. Great place to stay to visit Barcelona!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank brendafpe
Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The location of the hotel was a 5 min walk from the train station. It takes a 20 min drive on the train to get to the center.
When we got there, There was no one in the front desk to check us in so we had to wait. Besides that, the staff were happy to help and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank abbernstein
Canterbury, NH
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Very nice hotel, awesome breakfast and good staff and free parking Train St. Joan 5 minutes away, only 20 min to Plaza Catalunya. There is a ticket for families with 3 or more children that reduces the cost quite a bit I think all 4 of us only paid 16.00 for 4 trips. Internet is a bit steep at 8.00 euro a day I recommend everyone that visits Europe to get a my-fi from http://www.tepwireless.com/ it works in Spain everywhere and it's unlimited for $9.95 a day.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
AC Hotel Sant Cugat
#1 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles
Hotel Sant Cugat
#2 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles
BlueBay City Barcelona Sant Cuga...
#5 of 6 in Sant Cugat del Valles

Been to Holiday Inn Express Barcelona-Sant Cugat? Share your experiences!