“Su Naraxi” 5 of 5 bubbles

Barumini Unesco Site and Giara of Gesturi Half-day Tour from Cagliari
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Barumini
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This historic town is well-known for the "Nuraghe Su Nuraxi," a megalithic complex built by the Nuragic people 3,500 years ago, which served as a fortified dwelling against invaders.
Hobart, Australia
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Su Naraxi”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

It was exciting to visit this unesco site that we had read so much about. We made our own way into Pula by bus from Cagliari and took the 30 minute walk along a very well sealed street to the site of Nora. Once we reached the site we purchased tickets and took a small group tour. You can't visit the site without a guide. A very impressive archaeological site. The steps inside are narrow and steep, but we were warned beforehand . Our guide was very passionate about his site and his enthusiasm was infectious. Great photos all round. As with a lot of sites in Sardinia, you have to do a lot of research yourself and the Government don't make it easy for tourists to get around. More information is needed to encourage more people to visit these very important sites. Do make the time for a visit.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank nonnacookbooker

• Polish first
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“SU NURAXI an amazing experience!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I have read so much about the ancient history and it was so exciting to see these ancient constructions of stone by the Nuraghians! Our guide Fabrizio was so helpful and quite well informed! However the Sardinian Government should learn how to "sell" their amazing heritage to the tourists! I found the literature informative, but the way of presenting this amazing culture should be better presented! We shall visit as many of these Nuraghe sites while Sardinia!

Work can be created by having a nice restaurant with nice coffee and tea and even pizzas can be baked on site!!! FORGET THE LONG SIESTAS and CREATE LONGER HOURS FOR BUSINESS!!!!

We also visited Macomer, Tamuli (also amazing) and shall visit many others during the coming weeks especially Romanzem near Bitti.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Gerda L
Moscow, Russia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not Only Su Nuraxi in Sardinia...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

Hello there, maybe not all of You know that Su Nuraxi is only one of 7000 thousands nuraghes in the Island of Sardinia, and otehr 7000 thousands are still underground, waiting to see the light after centuries. Very Pity!!! This is a problem with Sardinian Region and its politics, which don't use funds to care and boast this almost unknown Nuragic civilizationi. So I don't know why the UNESCO chosen this specific nuraghe "Nuraxi" in Barumini as the pre-eminent nuraghe in Sardinia. Sincerely, I visited many other more, and I discovered that in Sardinia there are others nuraghi in better conditions... For example, don't miss to visit the Nuraghe Santu Antine, sited in the Nuraghi's Valley in the territory of Torralba in the Province of Sassari (north of Island). Nuraghe Santu Antine, is really in better conditions. All the towers in this complex building are still viseable and in very good conditions. Here is also possible to get up till the third floor of the building, something that in "Su Nuraxi" in Barumini is impossible, since part of the that structure crashed down long time ago. In the Nuraghe Santu Antine the central tower (Mastio) is bigger and more beautiful, as a labirint. Impessive are the long tunnels which connect all the different rooms and ambients of the nuraghe, and the three sacred swells still in perfect conditions. Don't miss to visit it and others nuraghe in the Island, as: Nuraghe Losa,

Visited November 2012
6 Thank Natalia V
Rome, Italy
255 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 396 helpful votes
“Near the Nuraghe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

If you are going to the Parco della Giara (wild horses) or visit the local Nuragne Su Nuraxi it's worth staying, otherwise.....keep on going.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank Romanbiker
Warrington
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Claustrophobics beware”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

There is no warning about how difficult it is to visit this site. Access to the middle of the structure is via a series of modern staircases which ascend the outside of the tower, followed by a couple of very narrow low tunnels with steep stone uneven steps leading into the interior. On the day I went, there were several cruise ships running excursions to the site. Many people were over 60, some with walking sticks. All were taken into these tunnels - I was behind a man who was having severe difficulty and edging forward a centimetre at a time. Other people were behind me so I was stuck in a small space for a long time. When we reached the centre of the structure, I was appalled to discover that we had to renogiate the tunnels to get out. Meanwhile more and more people - a few hundred, I think - were pouring into the small space. To get out, I had to climb a wall of rock as tall as myself, with only a few foot and hand holds.

Normally I am really interested in such sites - if I had stayed outside I would have enjoyed it more. This site is not suitable for large numbers of people and it is only a matter of time before someone is injured and there is no easy way of getting them out. If someone is stuck in the tunnel between two people with difficulties, there could be an awful situation.

Visited September 2012