“Needs some improvements if they want international visitors”

Site Memorial du Camp des Milles
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Needs some improvements if they want international visitors”
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I knew little of the French participation in internment camps (actually only from the book Sarah's Key) but had been moved by the Holocaust museum in Washington DC and had been an avid Leon Uris reader. I found the topic very interesting and the way they used the building (an old brick kiln) masterful. I was disappointed in the lack of accommodation for non French speakers. We paid extra for audio guides but they only worked in 2 areas where brief films were shown. There was English on written items(small and grey on black) but so much of the displays were video of elderly people talking about their experience that I would have loved to hear but there was no translation even with the headset. We also saw no guides or museum workers and there were several times we were just confused about where to go. The biggest disappointment was in the final exhibit which was to be about racism today and making comparisons, it was only in French and the video had no translation. I felt we were left hanging at a point that should have been the whole reason for the museum. It was fairly empty and I think they need to make some improvements if they want to target a larger audience.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Sandyharris

Vienna, Wien, Austria
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Very impressive memorial site”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I would like to mention 2 persons, Simone Veil & Elie Wiesel, regarding the "Les Milles" memorial site.
Simone Veil, Auschwitz déportee, Honorary President of the Foundation for the Memory of the Shoah: “It was with great emotion that I visited Les Milles Camp and contemplated the paintings, thinking about the suffering, but also the courage of those who painted them, before disappearing into the “Night and the Fog”.
We must remember them, preserve their last works, which are a message for us.
Over 2,000 Jews were deported from Les Milles Camp to Auschwitz, where most of them died.
There are still many memories here, and also an artistic testimony. We must think of them out of loyalty, but also for the women and children who were among them. We must learn their lessons so that this never happens again. That is why our project is to transform this abandoned factory, which will soon become a place of history but also of education. So that we don't forget.”
Elie Wiesel, Auschwitz déportee, Nobel Peace Prize recipient
“This is a place of memory, and I have spent my life celebrating memory. But a museum alone is not enough, we need a place of transmission… And this is urgent… At the time of the camp, there was so much hatred.
Today, hatred has taken on other faces, but it is still the same hatred. (…)
I will do everything I can to help the promoters of the project. This must now become a place of transmission. Everyone who enters here must leave changed, at least more aware. And of course, I will do whatever is possible to help. There are resources to mobilise, energies to put to work. I am convinced that Les Milles Camp will be an important site, very important for centuries to come…”
Nothing more to be said…

Visited July 2013
3 Thank Andrew S
Canberra, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A very moving experience”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This newly opened memorial/museum was a very moving experience. The site was not easily located and the signage could be better, but we did make it eventually. Its probably about a 30 minute bus trip from Aix. The memorial offered headsets (additional cost), which were only used for the video footage as pretty much all other exhibits had english as well as french descriptions. The main disappointment was that at the end there was an "enfants' exhibition and it was all in french so nothing could be understood in that section. Also I would have to say that this is not a place I would bring children.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Maree L
provence
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 198 helpful votes
“Moving”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is a modern memorial which has not been opened long.

Much of the display and audio is in French with no subtitles so if like me your working knowledge of French is limited you will miss a lot in understanding exactly what happened her - though graphically illustrated in pictures.

It is worth a visit as a reminder of a darker time in the regions and Europes history.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank boucheboy
Cannes, France
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Lest We Forget”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

The ‘Memorial’ at Les Milles is a vast ex-brick making factory used during the war as a Vichy detention centre for families come to France fleeing persecution only to find that persecution extended further than they thought. Two thousand people, including almost 100 children, were sent from Les Milles to Auschwitz.
The entire brickworks is now devoted to explaining how such a thing came about with otherwise well-meaning citizens become accomplices. The tour ends with parallels in Armenia and Rwanda and warns us against it happening again.
The memorial has a pedagogical approach and uses multi-media to great effect. You can easily spend a day there. We took a guided tour, something you can now do for twelve euros each.
French museum fees are a problem, the entrance fee here being €9.50 and a family ticket €25 (see the website), but the visit is well worthwhile.
The website is a very well laid out, but as yet lacks an English version. Explanations and exhibits are nevertheless fully translated. Facilities are excellent. Children are welcome and the under-nines go free, though the memorial does discourage taking younger children into the more difficult sections
Visit the site and you will be rewarded, although one’s thoughts remain at the end with all those people boarding the cattle trucks probably knowing what destiny awaited them. Thankfully there were those citizens who took enormous personal risks to protect their fellow man

Visited May 2013