“Great location close in the Loire valley”

Center Parcs les Hauts de Bruyeres
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We rented a cottage with two bedrooms. The domain has a large indoor water park. My daughter loved the indoor playing ground. I loved the fact that a lot of castles in the Loire valley are less than an hours drive away. We did not eat in the local restaurants but ate near the castles.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank stefkes
Write a ReviewReviews (6,210)

Reviewed November 25, 2013

We spent a lovely weekend in this resort. The cottage we stayed at was a basic one (not yet renovated) with more than enough room for 6 (this cottage had 3 seperate bedroms, a spacious living area and a nice dini g area. The kitchen has all the silverware and pots and pans one can hope for. The fire place is a nice touch but the logs that you can buy in the supermarket are € 4,9 a piece which sems to be steep.
We did not try the restaurants at all but it seems that there is an ample selection on site. If you do not find anything to your liking, the little town nearby offers some other choices'
The Aqua Mundo is a beautiful swimming pool with lucious vegatation. There is a few lovely slides for adults but beware of the outdoor "wild river". Indeed, this slide is a very cool thing to watch but I believe that the access should be limited to a certain number of persons at a time. At times it is too crowded and thenthings can get a bit rough. i have reveral minor bruises because of people bumping into me or trying to get past me. I also have the feeling that some of the slides are not well conceived in that you arrive too fast in the shallow reception area and that you can hit your knees or bottom rather hard on the concrete.
Apart fro' this minor remark, I beleive that this is a lovely place to spend a weekend with familiy or friends.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jenaipas
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Booking the much needed vacation:
My family and I have been to the Titisee in Germany where there is a similar water park to Aqua Mundo (though, now that I've seen this one I can safely say the one on the Titisee is much better), so I decided that this would be a great place for our family to relax for a long weekend. The website shows premium cottages with lawns, nice porches, well decorated, high ceiling-ed and homey cottages with a big fireplace and people relaxing and enjoying their vacation and best of all- 2 bedrooms. Just what we needed. Space, lawn, cozy fire, 2 beds, kitchen- perfect for a family of 4- and they allow the dog. I was so excited about it that I convinced my husband that a 6.5 hr car ride with 2 kids under 3 would be worth it. I tried booking on line, but their website wouldn't allow me to put in my proper phone number and apparently without that info you can't book on line. So, I called. After the call, I got the booking info via email and couldn't sleep I was so excited. We'd be relaxing on our own porch, with our own lawn area in 4 days.

Getting there:
I didn't realize there was so much forest in this part of France. You get off the highway, have to go through a very tiny town, then take a right into the forest. Then you drive, and drive, and drive, and hope you see a sign somewhere that tells you where to turn. Finally you do, but if you have viewed the website and are expecting a resort, you don't want to go in to where the sign tells you to go- it looks far too much like the entrance to a camping place in a horror film.

Center Parcs les Hauts de Bruyeres:
The website implies that this place has a really nice resort atmosphere, the price implies resort quality. There are pictures of well-dressed people enjoying nice open spaces- not like a park, but enough room to set out a blanket and enjoy a picnic with your family.

All I have to say is that this park is anything but what the pictures and price imply. I feel bad giving this place this review because I actually like camping and the people who work there were so nice.

If the website had said that this was a 'camping' community in the woods, rather than making it look sunny and like it was upscale and like a resort, I would have probably gone anyway but at a different time, with an entirely different expectation and I would have been better prepared.

This is a camping community. Be prepared to get dirty and have bugs, cockroaches, spiders and larger than life mosquitoes. Bring your own towels, bedding, soap, food, spices, fire wood and don't bother with the meal plans offered at the time you book your trip.

When the website says 'bringing nature in'. That isn't a lie... the pictures on the website are the lie. There is no lawn, the 'cottages' are concrete blocks that are side by side. The way they are set up offers lots of privacy, but it's not like you need it. It's not that pleasant to sit outside and the kids can't really play in the woods near the cottages. They can play in the woods in the middle of the park- as that is the highest ground. The woods around the cottages are soggy-wet and not pleasant to walk, play or sit in. You cannot swim in the lake or streams around the cottages. Though lounge chairs are provided in the patio area, there's no sun because of all the trees. And be careful about your little ones, there are mushrooms everywhere. I have idea what's poisonous or good.

The Aqua Mundo:
Its really nice. The rain forest gardens are beautiful and well maintained. There are plastic cribs for bitty babies, plastic chairs every where and it's loud and over crowded. The slides are nice but the experience could be much nicer. There is little to no supervision though there are cameras everywhere- even in the changing rooms.

I came away with several bruises from the water rapids and a scrape up my arm from where excited adults pushed me up against the rocks in the pool area. My husband also came away with bruises from the rapids, but that was only because a group of men (adults who should know better) were being a bit too rough and careless on the rapids. This is what I mean about no supervision. My daughter was kicked in the stomach (by an adult) so hard that he pushed both of us under the water. When I confronted him he said it wasn't his problem. This is the kind of person who goes here.

On the child slide area, my daughter went down the slide and another boy pushed his way through the line, came down the slide right after her, pushed her down, under the water at the bottom and then stepped on her- bruising and scraping the top of her foot. All this, with his mother watching. He did this to 2 other children and his mother still said nothing. I later saw the same child going on a slide for people taller than 162cm.

These are the type of patrons at this park.

Also, one of the advertisement pictures shows a woman and a child going down the green slide together, with the child in front of her. According to the pictures above the slides, this is not allowed. But, there is no one there to regulate, so it happens.

The cottages:
No phone (not even one to dial information or delivery-though they have a delivery service on site).
No soap, except one tablet for the dishwasher, presumably to do the dishes before you leave.
No parking near the comfort cottages.
The fireplace has no wood- you have to buy it for 18E for 4 itty bitty pieces. The fireplace is no larger than 35cmx35cm so you can imagine how small the wood pieces are.
Damp, damp, damp! Wet walls, wet, squidgy rugs, dripping wet ceiling in the shower- we hadn't used it, slippery wet floor in the kitchen. Even the windows were dripping.
The kitchen and dinning area was nice.
Furniture is out-dated and outdoor furniture.
The picture in the large bedroom had bugs squished between the glass and the picture.
There is only enough warm water for one short warm shower.
There is a jacuzzi tub, but it doesn't work.
The light domes in the bathroom and kitchen were grossly dirty outside and inside. It was pouring rain outside one night so we couldn't open the dome because rain came in as if there was no ceiling. This lead to no ventilation in the bathroom and a very gross mildew smell the next morning even though I removed all towels and clothes from the room.
The drainage pipe outside the large bedroom never stopped dripping, even though it hadn't been raining for 2 days and 2 nights. Oooh- the headache my husband and I had by Monday morning!

The food:
Kids under 3 supposedly eat for free. But they don't drink for free, none of the menu options are listed anywhere, there are no vegetables and the only place to offer fruit and water as part of the free meal is the fast food place. Thank you for that- the lady there was so so nice.

Dinner doesn't start until 7:00pm. None of the restaurants open until then.

As I mentioned earlier, don't bother with the meal plan options. The 'Freedom' option is only for the buffet and 3 platter options at the Deli- and, they won't deliver if you have the 'Freedom' plan. How is that 'Freedom' or 'Liberty' anything?

Safran restaurant has really good steak. I had the salmon- wish I didn't. It had freezer burn and it was rubbery like it had been reheated. The kids under 3 menu was 2 items (no veggies), but my daughter loved the ham and pasta dish. I couldn't believe she ate almost the whole thing. The people here were so nice.

The buffet is a very limited buffet. Yes, they had a lot of food but it wasn't anything we wanted to eat or much of a variety. Nothing substantial. Spaghetti and meatballs would have been fine, but they didn't have it. We didn't eat there- as my husband said- 'it looked sad'. And when we asked about it, no one spoke a bit of English so we couldn't get anymore info about it. Oh- they did have a chocolate fountain and an ice cream sundae bar- that looked cool- best part.

The fast food place is quite nice. Fried food isn't usually what I'd choose, but the food and service was good so we went back the next day too. Nautically themed restaurant area. Walk up counter like any Burger joint, but nicer dining area and they'll bring the food to you after you order and pay. Plus they offer crepes, cappuccinos and 50 cent scoops of gelato. Can't go wrong there. The kids menu is perfect too. The woman we spoke with there was really nice.

The pasta restaurant was closed on Sunday night- what??? The menu looked good but we never got to experience it.

The deli- useless! No under 3 kid menu (we asked). You have to go there to schedule your delivery. We tried to call the number listed on the paperwork given to us when we checked in, but that wasn't working. The food is over priced and sits under a heat lamp until its time to serve it up. Too bad- this venue could really be something and make a lot of money if managed properly.

The supermarket is great. Has all the things you'd need to cook up a proper meal in your cottage. Apparently smores haven't caught on in Europe. There are no graham crackers or marshmallows. The salt is around 90 cents, but if you want the salt and pepper combo (the only way to get pepper) you'll have to pay 3E. Hmmm- naughty cornering the market like that! Aside from that, the wine is cheap but good (it is France after all- so that should be expected I guess) and the milk,eggs, meat, juice and snacks are fairly normally priced. Closed on Mondays- again, what? One of the main days people arrive and leave and they are closed. We gave our business to the local gas station to get lunch and snacks.

Paul- the bakery. Very good bakery goods. My husband ordered in French and the person behind the counter went to the back and got us hot, fresh bread and warm pastries (that part was good), I was a bit put off when the nice guy behind us asked for almost the same stuff we did but he asked in English, and the clerk gave him the cold stuff that had been sitting in the display window. Hmmm- not very nice. Tsk, tsk!

Entertainment:
The prices are crazy- as if you didn't pay enough to stay there.
12E for 1/2 hour pony ride that the parent has to lead around the park- no guide.
26E for a 1 hour guided horse ride. That's not so bad. The lavender carpeted forest is beautiful even after the lavender has finished blooming for the season.
30E per hour bowling- they are out of their minds! But people do it.
Paddle boats- 4 seaters only- kinda tough to paddle with 2 people.
They have a fabulous playground for kids- really one of the best I've seen. Large and with lots of open space, even roped off areas so kids don't run under swings in motion.
They have lots of other activities but I was bothered by the prices so I didn't bother looking at them any more.
The entertainment center is nicely set up with a bar and video and car games.

Shops:
There's a toy shop and a couple of clothing stores. The prices are ok. A bit higher than other European prices, but considering the location and the crazy prices the activities and food are given, I won't argue.

Information desk/building:
The website says they are always open. Very far from the truth.
The check in office at the entrance to the property is open from 9:15 to 9:00 on Fridays and Mondays. If you don't get there within that time frame good luck.
All other days of the week, the information desk in the main glass building at the center of the property is the reception desk. Though whereas the people there were very friendly and nice, every time I went there with a question, I was met with so much opposition that aside from booking entertainment activities for you, I don't think they do check in at all.

Checking in/out:
e-voucher? not at this place. The website specifies that you need to do early check in on-line and print out the e-voucher in order to be checked in in a timely manner. It even specifies that if you have this, you leave it on the dash of your car as you enter and then when you check in at the desk all you have to do is pick up your cards and keys. To me, this says this place is both high class and high tech... then you get there. It also says if you don't want to check in on-line (as if you are old fashion and against newer technology), you can print out your reservation email and present that at the information desk. After checking the Center Parcs website every half an hour before I went to bed the night before and that morning before I left, to see if my e-voucher had been created, I printed my reservation confirmation email and hoped that would be good enough. I got to the Registration office and asked about it after they looked at my email and gave me my keys. They said this location doesn't have e-vouchers. This only added to my already growing frustration as I had spent so much time waiting for one to be created.

Check out is at or around 10:00 according to the website. There's a card in the cottage saying to leave the linens (if you rented them) on the floor and wash, dry and put away the dishes and take out the trash. Done. I go to the reception building at 9:00 to ask a few questions. It doesn't open until 9:15- on a day where people have to check out by 10:00. I didn't get it. So I left, packed up the car, family and drove back to the reception building and parked. I walk into the building and go to give them the keys and the woman just tells me to put it in the box. That's the most laid back check out I've ever seen. Apparently my brain hasn't relaxed to the idea that this is not a hotel or resort. Then as we are leaving and waiting for the bar to lift so we can drive out, I notice a pole with a hole in it sticking out from the ground on the right side of the road. It says, 'Keys here'. Well, why didn't the check out guide just say that that's all you had to do to check out?

I'm sorry to say that I will not be recommending this place to any of my friends. I think it's severely over priced and that the people who go here aren't that nice- as my (and my family's) scrapes and bruises prove.

Tips for the park:
Have a child center so young children can go there when mom and dad want to have half an hour to play on the slides together.
When the reservation is made in English, please give them English documents at check in. You've got'em, use'em.
Get the free kids menus printed.
Change up the meal vouchers. 'Freedom' should mean you can eat anywhere.
The Deli place has to made more accessible (by phone) and should be open later for delivery.
Get phones in the houses. Ones that can call the reception, info and Deli desks are all that you need.
Open the supermarket on Mondays.
Change your website so people fully understand that this is camping, not a hotel.
Info on the surroundings should be included in the welcome packet if not just stationary in the cottages. I would have taken a day to go and see what's outside of the Park.

One good thing- getting past her bruises and scrapes, I think my daughter did have a good time. Her favorite parts- seeing the koi fish and her pony ride.Booking the much needed vacation:

Getting there:

Center Parcs les Hauts de Bruyeres:

The Aqua Mundo:

These are the type of patrons at this park.

The cottages:
No parking near the comfort cottages.
The kitchen and dinning area was nice.
Furniture is out-dated and outdoor furniture.
There is only enough warm water for one short warm shower.
There is a jacuzzi tub, but it doesn't work.
Not to mention the bed. It was comfortable at first, but I woke up with a spring in my back the first night and fell asleep the next night feeling two springs. I need a massage.
To be honest, I've stayed in a better hotel room for $35 a night on South Beach in Miami, FL.

The food:

Dinner doesn't start until 7:00pm. None of the restaurants open until then.

Entertainment:
The prices are crazy- as if you didn't pay enough to stay there.
30E per hour bowling- they are out of their minds! But people do it.
Paddle boats- 4 seaters only- kinda tough to paddle with 2 people.
The entertainment center is nicely set up with a bar and video and car games.

Shops:

Information desk/building:
The website says they are always open. Very far from the truth.

Checking in/out:

Tips for the park:
Get the free kids menus printed.
Change up the meal vouchers. 'Freedom' should mean you can eat anywhere.
Open the supermarket on Mondays.

Room Tip: A premium cottage might be better than the comfort cottage. I had initially booked a premium cottag...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Larissa G
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Although there was some issue with the cleanliness of our cottage we had a good time here with our toddler. There was plenty to do. Only other issue was that most of the restaurants dont open until 7pm and so can be a little late for young ones. Pool was great and plenty of adventure for active toddlers!

Room Tip: For position and comfort it is worth going for a premier or VIP lodge.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Clare B
Reviewed September 4, 2013

There were 4 of us: two moms and two kids of 10 y.o., we all enjoyed staying in the park! We also travelled a lot in surroundings, visited a few chateaus, the zoo, all were really impressive. all restaurants we visited were above all praise. I do recommend the place to everybody.

2  Thank VioletaAksu
Reviewed September 2, 2013

The overall setting of Hauts Bruyeres is lovely. The cottage was comfortable, practical but unfortunately not very clean. We had to spend some time bringing it to an acceptable level. The pool is certainly good fun but has seen better days, some areas seem a bit outdated and could do with a refresh. It's also quite full so we had to time our visits well for early morning or evening to avoid the crowds. And you MUST have a bike otherwise you spend half of your time walking up and down to your cottage.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Comparing to Longleat this CP looks tired, not value for money. Activities and areas need rebranding to improve quality for customers.
The restaurant choice was poor and one completely closed throughout the whole weekend.
The only good bit was the pool and slides for the children!

2  Thank Jo M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chaumont-sur-Tharonne
Hostellerie du Chateau Les Muids
#1 of 1 in Yvoy le Marron
Domaine de Valaudran
Domaine de Valaudran
#1 of 5 in Salbris

Been to Center Parcs les Hauts de Bruyeres? Share your experiences!