“Good stopover for families but wouldn't stay as main holiday”

Hotel Les Portes de Sologne
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ardon
Reviewed August 21, 2008

We stayed on the way down and on the way back from the south of France. We needed somewhere which would accommodate 2 adults and 2 small children (all the campanile type places we looked at would only allow 3 in each room). Our friends booked adjoining rooms at a different hotel and were told when they got there that they were not adjoining.

We stayed in a 'cottage' which has a sitting room which can sleep 2 people downstairs and a bedroom upstairs. We had read the trip advisor reviews before we left so we were not surprised by the smell of cabbages and the floor that needed a bit of a clean! There is a fridge and 2 hob rings and a microwave as well as some very basic cooking implements but if you plan ahead it's enough to cook something simple like spaghetti carbonara and breakfast in the morning. This obviously saves a lot of money and guarantees you a decent standard (if you can cook).

This hotel was ideal for what we needed. We arrived the kids and my husband jumped in the pool while I cooked and then the kids went to sleep upstairs. We moved them into the sitting room when we went to bed, so that we had a proper bedroom. I wouldn't recommend this for a longer stay but at £80 for 4 of us, without having to eat out, it was ideal for a stop over. The rooms could do with a lick of paint but it wasn't bad by French standards

P.s put the name of the road in via Michelin rather than the postcode and its quite easy to find

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank Huplaloola

Reviewed February 28, 2008

Time to invest in some paint! This property hasn't been maintained it would seem since the early 90s when built....finger prints on walls, around light fixtures, peeling wallpaper, sad looking stuffed deer and wild boar heads..the staff were pleasant at the hotel, but at the spa and golf club, they were not too service oriented..felt like a French government office. The food was cafeteria standard, if that.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chooqwyn
Reviewed July 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed for one night at this hotel. The personal was friendly and breakast was excellent, but in Paris -and Orleans was similar- the temperature was 33 Celsius and the room HAD air condition, but "we do not put it until mid july".

On would think that the night of the 14th to the 15th is mid july, especially at these temperatures.

The rooms were reasonably clean for French standards, so as the brakfast service> a couple of small roaches in the room, sinding back two coffe cups and to knives because there was food stuck to them, but these are not exceptionally things there

They were, though, very frinendly and efficient in handling the reservation and departure and there was amply park space

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank diana2008
Reviewed November 4, 2006

We used this hotel for a 1 night stopover while traveling through France. The girls on reception were very pleasant when we arrived and the room was very nice.It was clean and spacious with a pleasant view over the 18th hole of the golf course. The bathroom was spacious and clean. We decided to go to the bar for an early evening drink prior to dinner. There was no one on duty in the bar and the male receptionist was less then helpful. We waited for 30 minutes for someone to come from the restaurant to serve us. The red wine served was cold and unpleasant. We checked out the restaurant menu and the prices were very high with limited choice. In the end we had to drive into Orleans for a meal. The breakfast the following morning was excellent with a very wide choice although a bit pricey at 14 euros. Nice hotel let down but the poor service.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Paul W
Reviewed May 29, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for work and it was a very up-and-down experience. First of all you need to know that the hotel does not have air conditioning in every room - you must upgrade to a "junior suite" in order to qualify for the ac. The first room I went into smelled very musty and was quite loud - overlooking the entry way with kids running around yelling and screaming. Not acceptable for a business traveler.

My second room had the AC but was far from a "suite". It has a nice little deck to walk out onto so that was a plus. The bathroom was also quite nice. But other than that this hotel is in my opinion subpar. The beds were quite old and not very comfortable. They were very short and close to the ground so if you have trouble rising from low places be aware.

The food was unremarkable, with the selection of breakfast foods being unimpressive for a european meal. The bar - while advertised as open until 1:00am - closes when they feel like it, and if they have to open it again watch out because they are not happy about doing so.

On the plus side, the grounds are very lovely and morning walks were quite nice. And the associated 'spa' was a lovely facility for workouts and treatments.

Generally, however, there are probably better places to stay in town.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
Portsmouth
Reviewed August 16, 2005

We were charged twice for our stay but in different locations, Olivet and Ardon. I questioned the hotel and they didn't reply so rather than our stay costing a nice cheap £45 it was £90. I only signed my credit card bill for the one payment but when I returned home from my holiday two had been taken out.... too late to stop the payment now! Ive sent the hotel numerous emails and phone messages but they never reply. They even sent me an online survey to fill out and I put my comments in there - still no response! Be careful.

Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 2, 2005

It looks like this is the first review of this hotel so I will try to be truthful and not lose my objectivity. It is not called this name now it is the Domaine Des Portes De Sologne.

We wanted to spend a few days in the Loire valley. We could not get the hotels we wanted in Tours or Orleans so we plumped for this hotel 6 miles out of Orleans. Big mistake. There is absolutely nothing around this area except a golf course and forest. The nearest civilisation is a good 30 minute walk. There is a bus stop 20 minutes walk out but no buses and a Tramcar called Jules Verne that goes ...... somewhere. We did not have a car and one taxi to Oleans is around 23€. We always needed 2 taxis.

There was a bit of a contretemps (very French) at reception where they tried to change our accommodation (5 of us) and then tried to charge us extra. We were booked through Octopustravel which is a agent of Gulliver Travel which promises no extra charges except those that we run up ourselves. They caved in but made it look like a victory by telling us we were lucky and they would pass the cost on to Gulliver.

The rooms were fabulous - no complaints there. We thought we had hit the jackpot. It was a pot but more like a -------.

It is not the fault of this hotel that it is 6 miles out of Orleans but having said that why does it not cater for a more diverse clientele in its restaurant?

The party was my wife, 13 year old daughter, my 17 year old son and his girlfriend of the same age. The menu was most discerning. Ostrich, Kangeroo, Rabbit, Sweetbreads, Guinnea Fowl, Lamb and various fish - no chicken. I ordered Ostrich, one member Lamb and the other three did not fancy anything. Would the restaurant try and find them something they liked - not at all.

Basically, the chefs are the kings and the customers are the minions. The waitresses are somewhere in between. We settled on something and then had to wait over an hour before it arrived. My meal of Ostrich was served on a bed of red cabbage and that was it. They are still punting out Nouvelle Cuisine (French for small portions). It was not even good. The member of the party who ordered the lamb was served with some veg but it was stone cold when it arrived and the lamb was tough.

At the time of ordering we were also asked to order our dessert as a 2 meal package which we did. At 9:25 one our party said she would like a dessert and was told by the waitress that it was too late; we should have ordered it with the main meal. Huh! The waitress would not move on it. I was getting lots of thumbs up signs from the other customers some of whom were French. I cancelled the other desserts but was told I would still be charged. I disagreed!

I went back to the reception and complained and they apologised and wiped out the cancelled desserts. In the meantime, there was a couple at the other side of the reception complaining that they had left the restaurant to go to the bar at 10pm but it was closed. It was supposed to stay open until 1am. Feeling fed up, we joined in the protest and the bar was finally opened but not without a security officer in uniform and riot boots to sit at the end of the bar pretending to drink a Coke on his break.

If you like golf, kangaroo and cold food then this is the place for you - if not give it a miss and book early into the hotel that you really wanted.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank Punchinello
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ardon
L'Oree des Chenes
Le Grand Hotel de l'Abbaye
Hostellerie du Chateau Les Muids
Hostellerie du Chateau Les Muids
#1 of 2 in La Ferte-Saint-Aubin

Been to Hotel Les Portes de Sologne? Share your experiences!