“My French house on the Bassin”

La Maison du Bassin
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Cap-Ferret
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Yes, my room was small but it smells childhood memories and it had everything I needed, splendid amenities included. It is a charming Cap Ferret traditional house and I slept with my window open with a glimpse on the Bassin. It is about that gentle and pleasant experience and not about getting the 5 stars hotel chain treatment. Service is friendly, helpful and not overwhelming, you just feel at home. The food is fantastic. I had the best French breakfast ever and the freshly cooked Madeleine were just to die for, croissants, pains au chocolat, fresh baguettes, home made jams, you named it. Dinner menu is inspired by the region fresh produce and once again you feel like the lucky guest of a wonderful French house. I wish I were there now.

Room Tip: You can ask for a bigger room with a view on the Bassin
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jattal

Reviewed August 12, 2012

We tried this restaurant during our 2 week stay in Cap Ferret in June. I cannot say it was a disaster - because it was quite nice, but rather expensive and pompous for what it really was. The food was good, but overpriced. Going inside to the toilet, I got a feel for the place which was oldy wordy and seemed again pretty pompous. Maybe ok for those who feel comfortable in this kind of environment. I had looked at staying there, but it had not been available. Frankly I was glad and we were much happier in Hotel des Dunes. I do regret not going back for dinner, just to get a second take, but for the price we paid, I felt it was not worth it, given the competition.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jubruxella
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I've waited a while to write this review as I was uncertain how to describe our experience. Many things about this hotel should make it a hands down knockout: the small size should make it cozy and intimate, the terrace and outside bar for enjoying summer evenings, its ideal location in one of the most charming areas of France. Yet something was missing.

From our first encounter with the staff, the interaction was cool, bordering on aloof and impersonal. Perhaps it was because we arrived on bicycles, quite tired and road-worn after cycling over 90 km in off-and-on rain all day, our appearance probably not quite like the typical hotel guest. Since we were in Cap Ferret mid-week in late May, we could have stayed at any hotel or B & B. But we knew we would have a tough day of cycling, so we decided to splurge. This hotel was the most expensive during 3 weeks of incredible lodging choices.

Good news: the hotel looks fairly comparable to the photos on the website, the rooms are adequate in a shabby chic sort of way typical of a small beach community, the beds were comfortable and the bath linen were lovely. Bad news: despite the perfect surroundings, the hotel had no soul. No one extending a warm welcome to guests either at check-in or upon arrival at the restaurant for dinner or breakfast. Several guests during our stay almost apologized when asking for help/advice from the desk staff. We found the very young restaurant staff to be accommodating, but this did not extend any further than the young restaurant staff.

For a hotel with such an acclaimed restaurant, breakfast at 15 Euro was a major disappointment: juice, coffee, bread with some jam, with everything served in a rushed manner with staff more focused on preparing for the lunch crowd than in serving an expensive breakfast.

So bottom line, it was a pleasant place to stay and we had a nice dinner. Was it a memorable stay, no. Would I stay there again, no. Would I recommend it to a friend, no. Would I choose a owner-managed gite, bed and breakfast or hotel the next time? Definitely!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank maggielacoste
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you are looking for an ambinece that would make you feel like you have walked onto the set of an Agatha Christie film (we were almost waiting for monsier Poirot to wish us good morning on the landing on the way down to breakfast) then this is the place for you. No tv's, no silly mini bars, real paintings that wernt screwed down and wooden coat hangers with propper hooks rather than the 'you cant steal me' sort youd find in a usual hotels this was a breath of fresh air. Everywhere you looked in this hotel there was something that was interesting or pretty. Location was fantastic and if you have trouble finding the place just head for the lighhouse! Staff were friendly and welcoming but breakfast was a bit bready and pricey for just bread so opted out after the first day. There was no view from the room window (just a roof), this didn't matter to us though, as the room and the rest of the hotel was just so quirky.
So highly reccommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dont-trip-up
Reviewed July 9, 2012

It was not a disaster but we would not return. First of all very hard to find, so get a decent map before you arrive. First night we had a room with slight view of the sea but the bed was too short for me (6ft 2inches), we then moved to a room, tiny, with a vertical wall outside the window so no view of anything. No hairdryers, no water glasses, no TV (that is OK except on a busy sports week end the one in the bar was not working). We were offerd another room for a third night at a very high price but decided to go elsewhere, we then found a marvellous hotel, so all worked out well.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This small hotel is very charming and fit totally with the overall ambiance of the Cap. It fell a bit that you are staying in a old family vacation house. The breakfast is very good (so please not to have a buffet)
The restaurant is delicious with a very nice atmosphere and the bar is the best place to have a drink in Cap Ferret.
However, make sure you book a big room if you are a couple. Unfortunately, we spend only one night there because they had only a tiny room available and it was really to small for 2 persons to stay there, specially as there is no outdoor space

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 13, 2011

This lovely hotel in Cap-Ferret is every bit worth the splurge, and I highly recommend it as a place not to be missed during your stay in the Arcachon bassin area. The amazing freshly caught oysters alone justify going there! And don't miss the outstanding petit dejeuner served in the hotel's lovely garden courtyard. So go ahead and splurge - you'll be glad you've done it!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Karen C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cap-Ferret
Domaine Du Ferret Balneo & Spa
#6 of 31 in Arcachon
Hotel du Cap
Hotel du Cap
#7 of 8 in Lege-Cap-Ferret

Been to La Maison du Bassin? Share your experiences!