“Fantastic”
Review of Le Chambellan

Le Chambellan
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stopped here for two nights whilst in town for a wedding at the nearby chateau & I was really impressed.

It's only 2 star accomodation, so don't expect room service & a concierge, however they do all the basics really well - and then some.

It's a charming little place, set around a pretty courtyard with lush plants and flowers. The rooms are comfortable, decent bed and bathroom, nice and clean. The town is lovely and the hotel is well positioned for seeing it, there's a nice little shop just up the road to grab your bagettes in the morning.

Breakfast was continental style, but done very nicely - freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh pastries, yogurt, bread, jam etc. Very tasty. I didn't try the restaurant but it did look really good.

Best part was the service from the owners - husband & wife team who were really very helpful. Public transport in the region isn't the best but they did a great job helping me with a taxi booking and researching train tickets - really very appreciated and I'd be delighted to recommend this charming hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank andyrout1

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We did not stay at the hotel so cannot coment on the accommodation. Whilst staying in the small hamlet of Braguel just outside the quiet village of Le Coux-et-Bigaroque we ate at Le Chambellan no less than four times in two weeks. That must be a recommendation in itself.
The restaurant is part of the Hotel Restaurant Le Chambellan in the Dordogne-Perigord region of France. Le Coux-et-Bigaroque is roughly half way between Bergerac and Sarlat. A delightful young couple Virginie and Philippe Vue run the hotel/restaurant with great efficiency and charm. The restaurant does not open at lunch times but is open for dinner on six evenings with the exception of Wednesday each week between April and November. As Virginie and Phillipe seem to work entirely in the restaurant there must also be a very good chef in the kitchen.
The menu is typical of the region with excellent duck products featuring high on each menu. However, for those not addicted to duck, other meat, fish, poultry and even a vegetarian option are included. Each time I started with foie gras in one form or another. The pan fried version is the best I have ever had, even better than that cooked in the kitchen of Paul Bocuse.
In a nutshell,excellent French country cooking in a charming village restaurant. Should you be in the area and in need of sustenance, do try Le Chambellan. I’m sure you will not be disappointed but do book, it is very popular with locals and holiday makers alike.
If you need it, Philippe speaks very good English and Virginie’s is coming on well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RnBrian
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I was reading the reviews for the hotel, and was staggered as I could have written some of them from the content that I had read, but my review starts from here.

I was visiting my sister in Bergerac, but we also stayed in a Chambre D'Hotes just outside of Coux et Bigaroque, we were too late to have the meal at the B&B and the owners kindly rang around and made us a reservation here at Le Chambellan. The whole menu was opened up for choice at the same price and all four of us ate duck, Fois Gras, Fish... the list goes on. For me the Creme Brulee finale was just incredible, four small creme brulees in different flavours on a plate. Even though I had eaten plenty through the meal, these four servings just looked at me pulling me in to what I can only describe as heaven, this is the first and last time a desert has truly blown my mind.

We paid roughly €25 per head including drinks and the service, quality of food and nature of the staff made us feel at home and when I next visit my sister, I would like to stay in the Hotel and of course enjoy more of their menu.

Could not recommend this hotel/restaurant more highly. I have had some incredibly special and wonderful meals in France, one being in Seillans, at Le Gloire de mon Pere on Christmas day 2009, but the meal at Le Chambellan beat that hands down and then as we left we watched the owl swooping around the church spire, closely followed by bats. Wonderful, wonderful food and location and the day after we travelled via Le Bugue, and that just capped the whole trip off beautifully. Bienvenue a France x x x

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our second visit here and the hotel/restaurant had the same welcoming charm we found three years ago. Coincidentally we were in the same room and were pleased to see that some upgrading had taken place without ruining its relaxed atmosphere. Dinner and breakfast were both very good. Excellent value family run hotel which is thoroughly recommended.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We were visiting friends on and they took us to this hotel for one of the best dinners ever. We all had the 3 course set menu (duck) and all thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The creme brulee (4 different flavours) was to die for!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank mabel8822
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed at this lovely quiet hotel for two nights while cycling around the region. The rooms were clean and a good size with ensuite. Being late September the weather was coolish however we were able to enjoy drinks in the lush courtyard after a day's riding.
The staff were very helpful and friendly. The restaurant was excellent with great food and service at very reasonable prices. Although the hotel was quiet at that time of the year the restaurant was busy both nights.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Visited with a party of 7. We sat down in the calm courtyard garden. Complimentary nibbles arrived immediately after a very friendly welcome. Good English spoken at the restaurant. Six menus variations to choose from (3 more duck-oriented, regional menus, 3 more 'general French' menus). Moderate pricing (the mid range 3 course menu was 24 Euros, and the four course menu 28 Euros). My gesier salad was very nice. Main dishes were predictably confit de canard (with an excellent pommes sarladais and cepes) and duck breast. The deserts were extraordinary (red fruit in a monbazillac jelly for me, selection of differently flavoured creme brulee for my wife). Very flexible menu, flexible staff. Great quality. Only drawback - it took 3 hours for three courses....just too long........

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank sol500
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coux-et-Bigaroque
Vezere Lodge
Hotel-Restaurant Le Home au Pere William
Le Petit Chaperon Rouge
Le Petit Chaperon Rouge
#4 of 5 in Coux-et-Bigaroque

Been to Le Chambellan? Share your experiences!