“A very nice month”

TUI SENSIMAR Los Gigantes
Buxton, United Kingdom
“A very nice month”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I hadnt been in Tenerife for 30 years and on arrival and driving down to Los Gigantes, I truly began to think that booking this break on the strength of old memories was a big mistake.
Overdeveloped, over the top, in every, very commercial way.
Concrete and coloured slabs in place of everything that had been natural.
Modern in that trashy "planned"way that makes you wish the people that planned it, were condemned to live for for all of their natural life in what they had "created".
The Mass tourism Monster with a coloured concrete Bolt thro its neck.
The South of the island is a great disgusting mess of greed and avarice triumphing over sanity and decency,just street after street of madness pursuing money.
The coach made the very difficult turn into the Palm landscaped circle that is the front entrance to Los Gigantes hotel and a very small mini mart to the left of the main doors,tatty in that half deserted Spanish sort of way,like some one had gone for lunch and forgotten to lock up.
It did not raise my mood.
I stepped from the coach,into the foyer of the place and was greeted by some very happy happy tour guides,acting like demented sheepherds ,attending to equally demented stupid tourist sheep.
I had never really understood what it feels like to be senile, until that moment,I was incapable of rational action unless guided by these maniacal grinning assistants ,or it appears that is what their opinion was of the alighting mass tourist morons.
After a Jolly pep talk and ascertaining that I was not interested in buying at 2 times the normal price,tours and guided walks ,boat trips, a very green, very overpriced Save the whale spotting trips.
They disappeared and I sat and realized how peaceful was the Los Gigantes hotel,like release from a madhouse.
I looked up at the beautiful carved Canarian pinewood ceilings, then crossed to the main desk and collected the room key.
Ascended the broad staircase and made my way to our room, a well present room, spotless and with very comfortable beds, a good size equally spotless bathroom with thick fluffy pure white towels and a nice array of bathroom accessories..
In the main room I threw back the blinds and was greeted with a magnificent ocean veiw .
Yes I think I really began to relax.
Food was very good and plenty of choice.Staff attentive,several pools and wonderful veiws.
Towell change was everyday and the room looked after very well.
My wife and I had a wonderul time at the hotel, we also hired a car ,and drove around the Volcano and down to the Northside.
Truly breath taking views and the air ,that smells of pine and coldness,very enjoyable.
Then back around by Santa Cruze and up along the motorway and then the main road back to Los Gigantes,not so exhilerating unless you get excited by rocks dust and vastly overbuilt areas of concrete.
Los Gigantes hotel we enjoyed ,as for Tenerife in general,I think if I never saw it again.Ever.
I would not be too upset.

Room Tip: Pay the little extra for the sea view and ask for the end of the building front room as you get view...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank John JRJ J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,003)
  • Polish first
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Food is fabulous, and the updates to the hotel are fantastic. Staff are courteous and all know their roles. We stayed for 2 weeks at the end of July 2013 and would certainly return, although in future we would probably only stay for one week in future as it is only a small resort and difficult to get along the coast to other resorts. Rooms are very good and extremely comfortable, with excellent sea views, now uninterrupted by the installation of glass balconies and walls.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room if possible,nits worth the extra charge.
2 Thank Moira W
Lowestoft, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Los Gigantes in July and it was every bit as good as we were led to believe before we travelled.

We were met with a glass of wine on arrival while our luggage was taken to our rooms. Our room was overlooking the town and we could see the harbour and beach from our balcony. the mountains were particularly spectacular. The rooms were kept very clean and it was great to have tea and coffee making facilities which were topped up every day along with the towels and toiletries.

There were two pools, the saltwater one being the busiest, but the freshwater one was great if you just wanted to get away and have a quiet day but there were always sunbeds (and parasols) available at any time of the day at both pools or on the terrace.

The food was one of the highlights of the holiday and I certainly put on weight over the two weeks we were away. We were full board which was 3 meals a day with compementary wine or beer (or soft drink if you didn;t want alcohol) for lunch and evening meal. There was always something being freshly cooked on the show kitchen and plenty of choice for meat, fish, salads etc but it was the dessert station that was my downfall as there was so much choice each evening that I often had to have more than one. My husband is a fussy eater but he never had any problems in finding something he liked. There were also vegetarian options. On one day we requested picnics for lunch as we were going out and we had to leave half of it in the fridge in the room as they were very full and quite heavy to carry

The evening entertainment was passable and if it wasn't to your taste there were plenty of bars in town with live acts so you could take your pick.

Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and requests were greeted with a smile and a helpful attitude and this was the same with the Thomson reps.

I honestly cannot think of anything we did not like about this hotel and we will certainly be returning in the future

2 Thank Angie J
London
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was unsure what to expect about Hotel Los Gigantes after reading a few less favourable reviews about it. It was really nice to arrive and think wow, this is really nice.
We were greeted at the reception with a glass of wine on arrival and our bags were taken up to our room as a matter of course. No staff member waiting around just for the tip.
We were seated in the really nicely decorated reception area to drink our wine and be given some local area information. Our passports were also taken at this point to prevent anyone having to que and wait at the reception desk.

Our room (817) was a fantastic size with tea making facilities and a well hidden fridge. Also nicely air conditioned. The décor is white, extremely clean but we like this style so really suited our taste.
The same can be said of the décor throughout the hotel.

The pool is large enough to have a decent swim in and there are plenty of sunbeds with cream coloured parasols for each pair.

The staff were all very friendly and very helpful and the room and outside dining area were also much enjoyed.

My husband is from New Zealand so is really in tune with good scenery. He loved the location and the view of the cliffs so this shows how beautiful it was.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and please don't be put off by any negative reviews that may still hang around as they are completely untrue.

Claire and Roy Williams, London

Room Tip: 817 on the top floor, great sea view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank cwaterbabe
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I have to say after reading a mixture of reviews I was a little uneasy about this hotel. I need not have worried as it was wonderful. The staff were lovely, the Thomson reps Natalie and Kevin couldn't do enough for you, always helpful whatever your query.
Hotel was clean, food was lovely and even though Los Gigantes is quite a quiet resort there is plenty to do if you want. Also a few nice pubs to go to, really loved Paddy's Bar.
There was a mixture of all ages in the Hotel which was really nice. If you are looking for a relaxing holiday then this is ideal destination. I also went for a treat to Beauty Within and had a manicure and a pedicure, really nice staff here, lovely girl called Amanda.
The only thing that I would point out to any couples going is that the men require long trousers to go into the restaurant in the evening, there were many men who had not brought long trousers with them as this was not really that clear, and this was pointed out to the reps. However, the Hotel have trousers there if you dont take any that you can borrow and they are really friendly and helpful which you just hand back before coming home.
Also made new friends which was lovely whom I will be keeping in touch with, so overall I would recommend this Hotel to all and would return again.

7 Thank 883Teresa
Derbyshire
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Arrived back from 2 weeks at this hotel and we couldn't praise it enough. Our room had a view of the village, harbor, sea and huge cliffs which was far better than just the sea. All the staff were very polite and always happy to help. We had a welcome drink on arrival and our bags taken to our room which was a nice touch.
The meals were pretty good, always plenty of choice and variety, My wife even got a surprise birthday cake and glass of champagne on her birthday. We enjoyed the "omelette lady" in the morning who made them fresh for us, she was very kind and also Martin who worked on the meat section in the evening, he was very kind, helpful and really seemed to enjoy his job and always had a smile and a chat.
The hotel evening entertainment wasnt really for us, but we enjoyed a couple of the bars in the village. We thought The Green Corner was great for live music and enjoyed quite a few night's there.
The Thomson reps Natalie and Kevin were really helpful and around most of the time to provide assistance. I broke a bone in my foot while visiting Costa Adeje and was in plaster for the second week and all the staff back at the hotel couldn't do enough for us, either in the dining room or just getting around, Natalie did a great job looking after us and sorting out assistance at the airport. ** Thanks Natalie **
Thanks to everyone who came to chat and see how I was getting on with my injury. Really overwhelmed with the offers of help and how nice people can really be. Special thanks to Theresa, Deb, Russ and Dicky Mint (The Welshies) for looking after me.

All in all, this is a great hotel in a great location with great staff and would go back anytime.

8 Thank jimbags
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This hotel was absolutely amazing! Exceeded expectations by a long shot. I was worried that it was going to be full of older couples however the majority were young from 20-40. The location is lovely... Quiet but not too quiet. People say the town is non existent and noting to do. However we found the town perfect, lots of shops for gifts and fake sunglasses\bags etc all at great prices... 3/4 supermarkets less then a 5 min walk from the hotel doors!! The people here were ridiculously lovely and it was hard saying goodbye. I would definitely recommend this to everyone possible!! The hotel in reality put the photos to shame. I had the best week of my life! Will be returning here without a doubt!!

• Stayed July 2013
10 Thank Abigailwoodleyxo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Acantilado de los Gigantes
Royal Sun Resort
Ona El Marques
Ona El Marques
#1 of 3 in Santiago del Teide
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#2 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Hotel Riu Arecas
Hotel Riu Arecas
#15 of 81 in Adeje

Been to TUI SENSIMAR Los Gigantes? Share your experiences!