“Great hotel”

Sensimar Los Gigantes
Derby, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Stayed at The Los gigantes for 7 days in April. Was a little concerned before arrival due to bad reviews but I needn't have worried. The hotel is one of the best I have stayed in. Very clean, spacious rooms, friendly approachable staff, good variety of food at meals and in a perfect location.The thompsons reps were helpful and knowledgeable and at the hotel morning and evening. Would particularly like to mention the events organiser Natalie ,who was good fun and worked very hard.If there is a bug in this hotel I saw no sign of it and I did eat in the hotel every evening.I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and one day hope to return.

3 Thank 539lynne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (978)
  • Polish first
Retford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I am nearly 80 and have myeloma, so I was worried about an attack on my immune system. When I read the hyped up stories on this site. I too went to Thomsons and asked to change hotels.
I'm glad that I did not.
My wife and I had a wonderful holiday, with great weather and reasonable entertainment. The food I would classify as above average. There is an extremely friendly chef who cooks fresh fish and steaks.
The rooms are large and extremely well cleaned. There was one case of sickness while we were there and none officially reported to the holiday rep. I checked in the village and with other hotels and found that there had been instances of sickness. There was no official outbreak of Nora virus. No faeces or vomit had been submitted to any laboratory. Those people who came and got ill within the 1st few days I have no doubt caught a virus in the UK. There were people on my plane sneezing without Handkerchiefs. I watched several men come out of the toilets without washing their hands. The hotel provided sanitisers on every floor and at the entrance to the restaurant.
This hotel has been beautifully modernised and colourful with an excellent use of safety glass balconies. I have written to the CEO of Thomsons and had a reply from a sidekick.
Having managed large-scale accommodation myself, I congratulate all of the staff. They do their very best from the manager Tony downwards.
I did not get sick. Nor did my wife. Because of our fears, she spent her 1st evening cleaning everything with disinfectant wipes in the room. This was caused by reading anonymous complainers who made it seem as if a major outbreak had happened. In fact, a hotel some 20 km away also had sickness and there were indications of sickness in the village but if one took normal precautions you didn't catch anything. To pinpoint this hotel is illogical.
My 2 complaints are-number 1. Why does Thompsons allow statements which are not fully researched to be put anonymously on their website?
Number 2. Why won't Thompsons issue when requested a statistical analysis of illness which they keep? I was refused by Customer Service in England and reps in Tenerife. I'm sure most people are capable of choosing what to do when they have the full facts. If the total number of sickness cases were seen against the total number of visitors to the hotel over a period of say 6 months, when viruses were also hitting the British population, then the sensible people would be able to make up their own minds after working out the percentage of risk.There was more chance am I being knocked over by
car in Tenerife than travelling in Thomson's aircraft all getting Norovirus!In fact, I had to jump out of the way of one when I was on a zebra crossing!
We had a wonderful time at this hotel and thank everyone concerned.
David Harry Larder, 42 St Saviours Close Retford UK

Room Tip: Don't worry too much about having a sea view. As long as you get a high up view over the town.y...
7 Thank David L
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Just returned from a 10 day holiday and I must say that it has been excellent. Wonderful weather,good food,great hotel and very friendly staff. Have now stayed here 4 times and each stay has been great, we will certainly be returning here. No suggestion of any sickness bug seen or heard of during our stay. The renovations have improved the rooms, bar area and the main swimming pool. Money well spent I feel.

Richard and Maureen.

Room Tip: We prefer rooms overlooking the town as they do not have the direct sunlight on them in the afternoo...
4 Thank richard-kbiggleswade
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a wonderful holiday in this lovely hotel and saw absolutely no sign of any sickness. We have been to this hotel prior to the fabulous re fit so knew what to expect. However the excitement had gone out of our holiday when I read the dreadful reviews, prior to our travelling. Please anyone going there do not worry, if a germ exists it is well hidden and none of our party of four felt the slightest bit poorly.This is a fabulous hotel, with wonderful facilities. The bedrooms with a sea view are delightful and well worth the extra money. The hotel and pool area are spotlessly clean. Enjoy your holiday and do not be apprehensive of travelling, like we were. You will have a fantastic time.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Bev R
cheshire
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We have just come back from a weeks stay in the Las Gigantes Hotel and our review is as follows'
Thomson Tour Reps and Company-Sam,Kevin and Natalie gave excellent service,their welcome presentation was well prepared and presented in a very professional manner and were always available,at one stage i had to contact thomson emergency service and i had a rapid response to my request which was terrific.
HOTEL-we had room 601(sea view well worth paying extra)and cleanliness here and hotel generally was of he highest order, the pool and surrounding areas were always spotless.
All the staff we encountered could not do enough for you always curteous and pleasant and the reception which normally is first port of call clearly demonstrated this to.
The Food was available Buffet style and had wide variety , beautifully prepared and presented although certain dishes needed to be warmer at times .There is oportunity to have a 5 CourseDinner in a Restaurentt which is not to be missed so book early for it is only available monday,wednesday and friday
All in all we had a wonderful time at this excellent hotel which clearly has done its best to ensure that guests do not catch the virus which is an AREA thing and NOT an hotel one.
Our advice is dont take the negative reviews just go and enjoy a wonderful hotel

Room Tip: get a sea view you wont forget it.6t floor and upards.low number as 601 etc
6 Thank CheshireHolidaymaker
Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I have spent many wonderful holidays at the Los Gigantes Hotel and luckily have never been ill but many guests have been whilst we were there.
Having done some research since we returned in march it becomes apparent that all the resorts along that strip of coast have had this problem for many years and several of the local councils have shown great concern about the sewage system and the discharge into the sea. During our holiday on some days you could see a brown slick just beyond the hotel pool.
Over the years the hotel has had a bad press but the sickness also affects people in the selfcatering areas.
Until the local council gets the problem solved this will continue to smear a lovely hotel.

Room Tip: high floor, seaview.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank IOWseaview
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed 12th April to 19th we were the lucky ones and avoided the Virus. I was stupid enough to read the reviews AFTER I had booked. The stories are horrific, I too tried several requests to change to another hotel but Thomson would not have it. We took our own Pillow protectors and pillow cases, own Cups, Tea bags. On arrival I cleaned the room tops and Bathroom with Dettol wipes and daily after the maid had done our room. Sounds crazy I know, but we managed to stay well I have Never had to take such precautions. We didn't touch the food on the hot Servery, only used the Grill where it was cooked in front of us, kept away from Salad and fresh fruit unless it was still in the skin and we could peel it. Even breakfast we only had eggs that were cooked while we waited and toast we made ourselves. As a result we ate very little. All of the time we were anxious and worried about falling ill. I will never go to this Hotel again, AND WILL NEVER book with Thomson, they are not prepared to do anything about the problem and couldn't care less about Customers once they have your money.
Finally it's a shame because this is a lovely resort and the Staff at the Hotel are doing their best to people welcome and happy.

Room Tip: We had 8th floor looking onto street, no problem with noise. We could see the Harbour from our Balco...
7 Thank jonesey4508
Also consider these accommodations in or near Acantilado de los Gigantes
Royal Sun Resort
Royal Sun Resort
#1 of 3 in Los Gigantes
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,155 reviews
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
Be Live Family Costa los Gigantes
Be Live Family Costa los Gigante...
#2 of 10 in Puerto de Santiago
Hotel Riu Arecas
Hotel Riu Arecas
#13 of 80 in Adeje
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,347 reviews

Been to Sensimar Los Gigantes? Share your experiences!