“Not as bad as I expected”

TUI SENSIMAR Los Gigantes
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I Arrived back from the Los Gigantes hotel last week after spending a weeks holiday there with my family. Prior to leaving the UK we were very apprehensive after reading reviews on this and the Thomson web page so armed ourselves with anti-bacterial wipes and hand gels.

I thought the hotel was in a great location and had good amenities for a weeks relaxing stay. The food in my opinion was of a good standard, however, I did leave items on my plate if I felt that they had been left on the hot servery for a while and were not at a hot enough temperature to heat, although they do provide a microwave for this.

I did not catch an illness and personally think the hotel is doing it's best to prevent any illness to it's clients, but as stated in previous reviews people not washing their hands etc does not help the situation. I would advise people to drink plenty of water (as well as alcohol!) during their stay and keep their toothbrush, toothpaste etc in their wash bags when the cleaners go round just in case they clean the toilets before doing the wash basin and decide to pick up your toothbrush too wipe down the surface. I would also advise not to eat items from the hot servery if they have been out for a long time or are not at a warm enough temperature.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank cashad
Write a ReviewReviews (2,490)

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Just returned today from my honeymoon.The last time we visited was in 2011 prior to the re-furb and had a great time,this visit was even better.It's a lovely hotel,great staff and a very relaxed atmosphere.I don't bother reading reviews before travelling as they are opinion and not fact and I'll make my own mind up.People will moan regardless,particularly the British,and no matter what the hotel does it will never be good enough.As for the bug I sometimes wonder whether its more to do with too much sun and ale rather than some mysterious virus!You only have to watch people hurl drink down
Anyway the food was lovely,plenty of choice and excellent facilities.Would love to go back sometime in the future and can't recommend a better place for a nice relaxing holiday to get away from it all.

10  Thank Pat M
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed at Los Gigantes Hotel from 7/4/13 for one week.
We are regulars and have stayed at this hotel over 30 times!. We have both never been ill.
This time we were very disappointed with the food - yes there has been a change not for the better.
We love the new decor it is fabulous but something have to change:
1 - The food quality. We had a lovely meal on E floor which was a set meal served by the waiters, but the buffet is not upto 4 star quality.
2 - The waitors need to do a course on how to talk to clients and not look grumpy.
3 - There need to be more bar staff and waiters in the dining room. It looks to me as if the Hotel is "cost cutting".
The good news is that the hotel is now allowing other nationalities into this hotel - which is great.
I love the fact that theyre are now no anouncements letting the clients know that there is a darts match etc. This is now a couples Hotel.
It was lovely to see Sam the Thomson rep back - she is wonderful. She is a fountain of knowledge as she lives in Los Gigantes with her family. The new addition to the Thomson team is Kevin who looks very enthusiatic.
My husband and I love this Hotel. We go regularly because we love the area - the cliffs, harbour and views across to La Gomera and La Palma but please please alter a few things and this Hotel will once again be fantastic!

Room Tip: Choose a sea view for fantastic views
4  Thank JudySherlock
Reviewed April 14, 2013

My wife and myself had our 11 day holiday last November (our normal annual visit, 24th time)
Within 24 hours my wife went down with the Noro Virus bug, she could not stop being sick, this lasted for into the next full day, then I went down with it.
After we realised that we were not getting any better we called reception to arrange a doctor to call.
One injection each to stop us vomiting and then a prescription for the chemist to stop the diarreah.
Total 85 Euros.
Many people were ill, but to be fair the cleaning staff sent the maid into our room to disinfect all round to try and repel the virus.
We used all the hand jells that were around, but to no avail.
One thing that we suspect is that the sewage enters the sea from the treatment plant nearby, and can be seen round the bay from the main pool area, this is mixed in the water when it hits the rocks and then shoots into the air in a mighty ploom of fine spray , which if you are sunbathing you are finely sprayed with.
Is this where the virus stems from.
I notice that on a lot of trip advisor postings that the manager / directors have started posting replies to comments about their hotels, (good or bad).
I think after all the negative posting about the hotel, we the regular guests that return every year, need some assurance that positive measures are being taken to stamp out this outbreak.
The hotel was closed for re-furbishment last year, it should have died out. We have already booked for Nov 13.

Room Tip: Always book a room with a sea view,for the truly romantic sunsets on your balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Peter H
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We have just arrived back from an 11 night stay at this hotel after 10 great holidays there in the last few years.
However any review now must firstly be concerned with the illness which is rife.
If you have booked or intend to book this hotel please read and believe this.
We were a party of 2 couples. We all got the bug!
Symptoms-
We all had severe diarrhoea and some hours of shivering and feeling cold. Two of us additionally were vomiting and one had a high temperature. Two of us had the symptoms for 12 hours, one for 2 days and one for three days.
We were comparatively lucky: we saw one lady being attached to a drip in an ambulance at the entrance to the hotel and a man leaving with us had also been hospitalised to be re-hydrated. Another very distressed lady told us her husband was on vital heart medication which he couldn’t keep down.
What causes it?-
Yes, the reps will tell you the well- rehearsed lines that we don’t wash our hands when after we go to the toilet-(talk about adding insult!)/everyone has it in England.
The gels outside the dining room didn’t help one of our party who hadn’t eaten in the dining room or in the hotel before he got the bug on the second day!
We all practised ‘neurotic’ hygiene precautions – including using bottled water for cleaning teeth but that didn’t save us!
A strange smell does come up from the drains so it could be the sewerage system or maybe just an airborne virus but what is true –someone needs to find out!
Anything positive?-
It seems the bug doesn’t return – an ‘honest’ member of the staff who admitted everyone gets ill told us this so we did believe it.
No need to save sunbeds or worry about getting a seat for the entertainment as that same member of staff told us, at any one time a proportion of the guests are either sick in their room or caring for someone who is sick.
Um….dubious – you do lose weight but on the other hand you might not want to!
Compensation – reasons why Thomson should even though they won’t!
An earlier post seemed to criticise people who ‘just’ want compensation but even though I know we won’t get any so won’t waste my time trying I do not condemn anyone who does. We all booked a holiday that included meals and entertainment and Thomson knew that most or all guests would be unable to benefit from a proportion of both these as either they or their partner would be being ill.
Thomson are bringing people to a hotel knowing they will get ill with no idea of pre-existing medical conditions
Oh and what about those very young couples obviously in new relationships – I can assure you this condition is not romantic! Compensation for the breaking of a relationship?
The Hotel anyway!-
Great make over much better hotel now.
Entertainment was great. NATALIE was wonderful such a great singer and great lady! Thank you Natalie. Also we really enjoyed midnight affair and the way they worked so well with Natalie. Look out for ABBA with 2 Agnethas –brilliant!
The visiting acts were also good especially African footprint.
We were just so sorry we missed ‘The Eagles’, we were really looking forward to them but were unfortunately…you guessed it!
Lastly – thanks to Trip Advisor
This whole episode has made me realise the value of this web site. The general impression of hotels you get from the posts is…true!
We will never go on holiday again without checking first.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
20  Thank brick04
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We arrived back last week and despite us taking out own hand gels and antibacterial wipes I did pick up the bug but it only lasted 24 hours my husband did not get it. They could not be doing any more than they are doing regarding hygiene there are hand gels every where it just a shame quite a few guests don't use it as they are the ones that are passing it on, in my opinion. The dinning room is spotless and the food hot and variety is very good, if you go hungry then you must be a very picky eater. We had a sea view room which was beautiful and clean sheets and towels changed regularly. Miguel a waiter in the dinning room deserves a mention as he was always so happy and worked so hard.

Room Tip: Treat yourselves to a sea view room
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank christine H
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I have just arrived back home after a weeks holiday at the los gigantes and yes there is a very small out break of a virus on the island and the hotel is no exception, but i can honestly say the hotel and staff are doing all they can to contain and keep the hotel free from the virus. I do know that the hotel have brought in independent health agencies to work throughout the night to maintain the high standards. Apart from this the hotel and holiday were very enjoyable. Give them some credit?

Room Tip: Request if possible the sea front rooms as the north rear rooms overlook some bar at the rear and an...
3  Thank disapointed77
Also consider these accommodations in or near Acantilado de los Gigantes
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Playa de la Arena
Apartamentos Poblado Marinero
Apartamentos Poblado Marinero
#3 of 3 in Los Gigantes

Been to TUI SENSIMAR Los Gigantes? Share your experiences!