“Nice place but beware of all the extra costs”

Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Singer Island
Browns Mills, New Jersey
“Nice place but beware of all the extra costs”
Reviewed December 19, 2010

This place is beautiful. The rooms are large with high end finishes. They charge $20 a day to park your car. You do not have the option to park your car yourself. I really don't like valet parking. Our unit did not have an ocean view but it was spacious. Don't go for the green card option. Green means dirty and no service at all. We were there 4 days and had no maid service. The outlets by the sinks do not have GFI so they kept flipping the breaker every day. I had to call to get the breaker switch turned back on. Both bathrooms had the same problem. No outlets worked in the bathroom. I ended up having to dry my hair in the hallway. Sound like a 5 star resort? NO. The outlets and lights all went out one day also. Also the phone kept breaking down and not working. That happened two days. The manager was nice and did upgrade us after we complained about the parking. He made too many excuses for the electrical problems. If they set the load low, then there is something wrong if you cannot use the outlets in the bathroom. Ask an electrician.
The spa was nice and the hotel is beautiful, but the pools do not face the ocean. There was only one hot tub for that huge hotel and it was filled with kids. Kids should not be allowed in the hot tub, especially kids just out of diapers. I do not want to sit in a small tub of hot water with young children going to the bathroom in it. I really was frustrated by the parking, lack of working outlets, and phones, and the lack of an ocean view anywhere in the hotel. We only paid $259 per night so we got a good deal. I would not pay $400or more a night for this place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Amazing stay. This hotel is five star, plus! I stayed here for one week along with my siblings, and mother. The two bedroom condo suite, 2 baths, was gorgeous, clean, marble and granite all the way. The beds were so comfortable, sheets and duvets top quality. I can't say anything but great things for this hotel. The staff were unbelievable friendly and helpful. Five star quality, without the five star attitude, that sometimes you may encounter at other places. My mother uses a wheelchair, and the hotel staff made every accomodation to make our stay easy and accessible. Ramps are everywhere, an elevator to the beach level, wheelchair accessible room etc. We ate at the Solu restaurant 3 times for dinner, once room service for dinner, and once for brunch. Amazing food, and service. In fact, we found the prices to be very reasonable considering it was a 'hotel' restaurant, and it really was good! The cafe off the lobby was great for coffee and croissants in the morning,,,,or anytime! The infinity pool was quieter, although the lagoon pool in the back of the hotel offered an upbeat but not crazy atmosphere, and provided better access to the pool for my mom, because it had a zero entry. The only thing that I can suggest for improvement, would be to have a couple doors here and ther that were automatic with a button. I did find that this would have been nice to see at least at one washroom, and at one door at each entry (front and lobby). It would have not only been easier for me while pushing the wheelchair, but also for others using a stroller. Otherwise, this hotel was wheelchair accessible, and I would highly recommend this hotel to people of all ages. I plan to return in the spring, with my kids too!! Thank you to everyone at the Palm beach Marriott singer island resort!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Syracuse, NY
Reviewed November 26, 2010

We are a fairly young, open minded couple and have traveled throughout US and Europe. With that said, this is the first I have ever taken the time to write a review...and we haven't even left the hotel yet!
Our trip was a last minute get away for the holidays so the resorts I would have liked to book (four seasons, possibly brazilian court, etc.) were booked. Because of that, we were not going to make the trip until a friend of a friend told us, without hesitation, that the Marriott was hands down the place to be. We decided to take their advice and booked plane tickets.
We reserved an "ocean view" room, which obviously is more expensive. While our room was larger and nicer than we expected, we were put on the 5th floor at the back of the hotel, which has a view of the six large palm trees in front of the balcony. We can see a little bit of the horizon above the trees. The marriott should not market this room as an ocean view room.
The layout of the hotel is not smart: the small fitness center is dark and faces the driveway into the hotel; the private residences of the hotel (none of the guest rooms) are all in the front of the hotel, close to the ocean and have good views; there are 2 pools...one that is more for children in the back, which is very large and has a slide. The other "infinity" pool faces the ocean, but again, is a good distance from the beach, does not have a view, is not a true infinity pool and is very small.
In addition to your room charge, other fees include: internet, valet parking, beach chairs and use of the cabanas. The food on the Solu restaurant menu and beach menu is overpriced and not very good at all.
The biggest disappointment and most important to us...is the service. When we arrived to our room, I called to see if they had anything on a higher floor with a better view. The woman said she would call back in a few minutes. We never received a call back and I know for a fact there are other rooms available.
The valet is constantly busy and inefficient. We called guest services to let them know we would need our car (instead of going downstairs and waiting 10 minutes). The woman said no problem, she would take care of this. We went down 15 minutes later to no car and no knowledge of our phone call. The valet employees then told us we cannot call to have our car ready. There is nothing within walking distance to the hotel, so unless you plan on staying here all day everyday, you need a car. It is frustrating having to get the car out a few times a day and then paying gratuity each time.
The one thing we want to do while we are here is have really good food. I researched some restaurants in the area, but I wanted to talk to the concierge to see what she recommended. She was hardly helpful and talked to me while on the phone with someone else...when she hung up she seemed annoyed and rattled of a list of 8 or 9 restaurants, did not write anything down and told me to come back when I find some restaurants that look interesting so we "can compare notes."
I would not recommend the hotel's restaurant to anyone. The first day we had appetizers on the beach with two drinks and then ate at the hotel's restaurant for dinner, again with two drinks, one appetizer and one dinner (we shared the dinner). Combined, we spent a little over $200 for this. The service was poor mainly because there are not enough people staffed. The coconut shrimp appetizer was shrimp breaded in a thick tempura-style batter. On the side, they give you coconut milk to dip it in. The grouper tacos were bland and the thanksgiving dinner was not too bad...except for the instant mashed potatoes. The 'wine's by the glass' list is not at all what I expected. We went to CVS later that night (to get snacks and water to save some money) and I saw the exact same wines at CVS that the marriott has on their wine list.
The front desk is the smallest desk I've ever seen in a hotel this size. Most of the time, you will see one person working. So if you want to talk to the front desk about anything, have an extra 10 minutes to wait in line.
I can't help but feel like the employees don't really care and if we ask questions or call for help, we are not going to get answers or help! We are only down here for four days and it would be nice to feel like we are taken care of. Instead we make our own dinner reservations, do not get call backs and pay to lay on the beach. This is merely a place to sleep and we are now contemplating checking out early or just planning everything away from the hotel. The high prices and poor service go to show that this marriott is not a successful hotel and I would never stay here again.

2 Thank mhafner333
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed November 22, 2010

This is one fabulous property. The location is right on the beach.
It's like being on an island.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 15, 2010

We stayed here recently and felt like we were living in a luxury apartment. The concierge was always helpful with ideas. Valet parking is mandatory so we had to call for car when we wanted it. The valet staff was very efficient.

The roomy suite was luxurious. We booked a one bedroom but were upgraded to a 2 bedroom. We had 2 marble bathrooms, each big enough to be a guest room in itself. Our stainless steel/granite kitchen was perfect for cheese and crackers and wine before heading out to dinner.

Having 2 pools to choose from was a treat. The lagoon pool caters to families. The infinity pool was perfect for the grownups. Friendly waitstaff served lunch and drinks poolside.

Patio firepits were nice to sit by in the evening with a cocktail.

Our balcony view of the Atlantic was perfect for moprning coffee.

Buffet breakfast on the weekend was fabulous. Only a few desserts but breakfast food was plentiful! The fresh fruit was incredible...no canned melon here!

Overall a very pretty and elegant property!!

Bedford, NH
Reviewed November 9, 2010

My husband and I went to the Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island this past weekend. We stayed three nights and it was beyond wonderful.

I can be picky at times and I can honestly say there was not one thing that I can complain about.

Rooms - We stayed in a beautiful one bedroom suite with an ocean view. It had a full kitchen with stainless steel appliances, a very comfy bed, beautiful bathroom. Everything was just perfect.

Staff - Every single person was pleasant and helpful. Frank at the concierge desk was great.

Pools - Well kept.

Spa & Workout room - spa was really nice and had great amenities. The workout room had all new equipment and was 2-3 times larger than most hotels.

Food - We didn't really eat at the hotel. We bought groceries for our breakfeasts and lunches. We went into Downtown WPB for dinners. DEFINATELY visit the Cityplace as it has wonderful shops, entertainment, bars, etc. Wished we discovered it sooner on our trip.

You CANNOT go wrong at this hotel. Everything is new, clean and first class. Enjoy!

Miami
Reviewed November 8, 2010

On a recent stay at a nearby hotel we reserved a table at Solu. We requested an outdoor table with the sweeping views of the Atlantic and beach, but all seating was indoors due to the wind. Our indoor window table was OK though not as nice as outside, but still had a water view. Our waiter was a real professional and anticipated every need. The food was fabulous. My husband started with a cocktail of plump luscious shrimp and I had a tasty squash soup. Our entrees choices were dijon chicken and the featured sea bass special of the evening which was served over baby seasonal vegetables. Both dishes were beautifully presented and delicious. We even broke down and had dessert as the rich pumpkin cheesecake set the tone for the upcoming holidays.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Marriott's Oceana Palms
Marriott's Oceana Palms
#1 of 4 in Riviera Beach
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
Hilton West Palm Beach
Hilton West Palm Beach
#3 of 34 in West Palm Beach
Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort
The Breakers
The Breakers
#2 of 10 in Palm Beach

Been to Palm Beach Marriott Singer Island Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!