New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Singer Island
San Diego, California
“Not So Great Stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

Returned today from a 5-night stay at Hilton Singer Island Resort. First, we booked a king room and was told they were sold out (what?!) upon our Tuesday arrival and we slept in 2 double beds for the 1st two nights (2 grown folks in a double bed?). They said the best they could do was see if they could give us a king FRIDAY(!!) and they said they were full, even though the internet said king rooms were STILL AVAILABLE and when challenged, the manager wouldn't budge--so either the internet is wrong or she was not telling the truth. Who are we to argue with the Front Desk Gods who get to pick and choose who gets a crappy room vs. who gets a nice room? Also, I needed a fridge brought up for my insulin and they were out and only got one after 2 days due to the rockstar (more on him later). We are not picky and like to be left alone with the only contact from staff is greetings as we come and go. I prefer to not spend a lot of time on the phone complaining to the front desk when I could be at the beach. That said, the room we were given was on an undesirable low floor (3rd), had a huge red stain on the carpet, and we had to call housekeeping to vacuum someone else's toenail clippings (yeah, GROSS), not to mention a lovely view of the parking lot. Seriously, for a 5-night stay? The room also has a very dangerous deal with the shower--it surges from "normal" temp to SCALDING HOT while showering. The engineer said to leave the shower running for 1 minute to see if that would resolve the issue. It didn't of course--the trick was to jump back out of the water stream every other minute--very dangerous for anyone, particularly children or seniors and it's a lawsuit waiting to happen. On Thursday, after asking about a room change for a king bed, one did suddenly become available sooner than Friday, which was great. We told the nice gentleman who helped us move rooms (7th floor, pool/ocean view) about the issues with the previous room (mainly the shower that never got resolved) and it was HE (a true rockstar!) who had the general manager call us and the next thing you know a comp fruit basket & 2 waters was brought up. Big deal. What would have been more appropriate and more appreciated to have been upgraded to an ocean front room with a real deck instead of a walkout to make a wrong a right, not a fruit basket that we didn't even eat. By the way, our new room had ants in the bathroom (at least the shower worked correctly!). We tried to get a room nextdoor at the Marriott, but they were booked. We just put up with the ants which was disgusting (they kept saying they were at 100%) and we won't be back and I'm canceling my Hilton Honors membership (this rewards program did nothing to assist our situation). One last thing, we were gone all day Saturday and came back to the room around 4:30p and the room hadn't been cleaned yet. Housekeeping was in the hall and I asked for fresh towels and she asked me sign her clipboard saying it was okay that our room wasn't straightened up. No, it wasn't okay and this is only resort I've ever stayed at hasn't had the room taken care of by late afternoon and we left early in the morning, like always, leaving the room empty giving housekeeping ample time to do their thing. The room issue & ants soured my desire to ever stay at a Hilton again. Your best bet is to go nextdoor to the Marriott resort.

Room Tip: With all the negatives we experienced, the restaurant & beach bar staff were super friendly and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gailtou
George I, General Manager at Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
<FURTHER CUSTOMIZATION MAY BE NECESSARY>

I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience you had during your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing the room reservation, pest, and housekeeping issues to my attention and allowing me to follow up with our staff and pest control company to address each situation. We want to ensure that you and future guests are taken care of and apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort you experienced. I can assure you, we want all of our guests to have a pleasant stay with us and your experience is not typical of our warm hospitality.

Kind regards,
George Isaac

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have stayed at the hotel several times and never been asked to pay a $10 parking fee. The few was waived however I do not understand why a fee is being charged. Why? No cover parking. Parking is not secure. Security gate doesn't work. Anybody in the area can come park on the lot, leave their car, and proceed to their destination without paying. I believe this is a disservice. Also, we requested turkey bacon and was provided pork. Big no no! In addition we requested to bowls of cereal (special k and fruit loops) which we received however we were not provided milk. Really?

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Prettyteeth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

High $$$....Great room...but a micro-balcony. Room service a little slow (like about 2 hours), confusing signs in the elevator says the pool and spa deck are on the 2nd floor (I wandered up and down the hall for 15 minutes before someone told me it was on the first floor). After shelling out hundreds of dollars for a room, they still want to charge you for parking without a valet. Surcharge for internet and repeatedly given the wrong wifi passcode (come on Hilton, even McDonalds offers free wifi to it's customers now). Only 2 towels per room, seriously? Sadly, I have received better service and ammenities from roadside motels...I would have expected much more from the Hilton name and price.

• Stayed January 2013
3 Thank WDJohns
Wheaton, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Been coming here usually in winter for almost 20 years. This was the first visit since the hotel completed an extensive rehab project that took a couple of years. We were very pleased with the results. First of all realistic expectation are in order. This hotel - one of the last on quiet Singer Island, used to picture itself as a "resort." Now it finally fits as a decent hotel with a nice beach. Are you a hilton honors member - if so, take advantage of the $10 room upgrade to a nicer room with a balcony. These rooms have been refurbished and are good size. The lobby and restaurant have been refurbished and are comfortable. The hotel fitness center is one of the best I have used with new cardio equipment. Food is decent at the hotel but there are so many reasonable choices within a 15 minute drive - everything from the very good Vietnamese Express to Toojays - deli to Capt Charlies Reef Grill - great florida seafood and the always great breakfast/lunch place - Southern Kitchen. The hotel does have a nice Caribbean style outdoor bar which is very popular. The beach is great and the water is always crystal clear. You can save $$ on renting beach chairs by buying one at the nearby CVS at the northern end of Singer Island and route 1. The only sour note is the new Hilton practice of charging $10 for wifi - another example of proliferating hotel add on fees. Anyways - come on down!

Room Tip: Take advantage of the hilton honors $10 upgrade for a bigger room with a balcony. Quieter rooms tend...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank waterlogged65
Chanhassen, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

If you're going to Singer Island, this is a lovely hotel and the best value we've found. The service is wonderful with a number of long term hotel employees who we enjoy seeing time and again. The beach is really nice, although you do get nickled/dimed by having to rent lounge chairs on it. The pool is beautiful. Fitness room has excellent equipment as well as a wall of windows overlooking the pool area. Food is just ok, but the setting overlooking the ocean is idyllic. The guest room isn't especially modern but it's nice, clean and well appointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

I must take time to commend Karey(ie) (mgmt) regarding her assurance of a great stay. She immediately took control of a small issue and made sure our visit perfect. Rarely do I find this with hotels even upon visiting the The Breakers a few days prior to arriving at this Hotel. The Breakers Mgmt did not even address the issue we had involving a broken window that did not close. I would suggest they take lessons from Karey in how to treat Guests. Thank you

Room Tip: Ocean front is the only option with this location..too good to pass up
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
dtsurf, General Manager at Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge one of our team members for providing outstanding service during your stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Miami Beach
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

As a disclaimer, I travel a lot so maybe my standards are high. I wanted to enjoy a quick getaway up to the Palm Beaches where I was attending an award ceremony.
While driving into the hotel's parking facility, I noticed that the security gate was not working...no big deal but a detail indeed. Upon reaching the valet station, there was no one in attendance to greet us and to valet our vehicle. We waited a few minutes and then proceeded to self-park.
It was 3:55pm when the pleasant front desk associate informed us that our room which had been upgraded to king size bed suite would NOT be available, as they needed to prepare the room. I noticed another guest waiting for their room as well. Since I had to get dressed for my ceremony, I was disappointed. The room was finished 15 minutes later only to find that it was not the UPGRADE but a standard room with only a queen bed. I booked a room for 3 guests. At this point, my disappointment grew to frustration at how things seem to be miss-managed. It took another 20 minutes to finally get us into a room with a queen sized bed and a sofa bed so that the 3 of us could sleep.
The room service dinner was another disappointment as the food tasted as if it were frozen and then microwaved. The burger was a patty, not fresh meat. The salmon was overcooked and the asparagus was soggy. The coconut rice with cilantro was missing the cilantro. The club sandwich had pressed turkey, not fresh, and the fries were not warm. The seafood nachos were the best thing we received.
We had ventured after dinner to the award event and returned to the room and tried our keys which didn't work. They usually get demagnetized if they are near my wallet but I hadn't brought my cell phone or wallet.
Overall, I think the management needs to work on: the presentation of the staff, the décor and building’s maintenance, food quality, and bring this hotel up to the level it should be at. At present, I paid for a 4-star and felt like I was at a 2-star Hilton Garden.

Room Tip: The ocean view is great as the waves crashing is great to hear while you're sleeping.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank slynsobe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Singer Island
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
#1 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,250 reviews
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vacation Villas
Palm Beach Shores Resort and Vac...
#2 of 4 in Palm Beach Shores
The Breakers
The Breakers
#3 of 10 in Palm Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,031 reviews

Been to Hilton Singer Island Oceanfront/Palm Beaches Resort? Share your experiences!