“Restaurant in Mellide, Switzerland”
Review of Dellago

Dellago
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Melide
Cuisines: Sushi, Diner, Seafood
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Dellago Was Built Sometimes Around 1905 And Has Since Seen Many Concepts & Transformations, But It Has Never Been Completely Restructurated: This Place Has Style And Patina. Our Crew Is A Cheery Bunch Of Refreshingly Hospitable Young Pro's With A Very Casual Attitude And Very Informal, Straight Forward Moods. People Looking For A Laid Back, Mediterranean Zest Of Life And Who Place Respect On Top Of Social Status Will Find Themselves Very Comfortable With Us. We Are All Here Because We Love Our Place, We Love Our Jobs And Not Because Someone, A Hundred Years Ago Declared, That Guests Were Kings.
Studio City, CA
“Restaurant in Mellide, Switzerland”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife and I are spending some time in the town of Lugano, Switzerland. En route to Italy just to the south, the local roads pass through the lake towns of Mellide and Morcote. We decided to dine one evening by the lake at the restaurant at the Art Deco Hotel Dellago. We anticipated a good meal. What we experienced was beyond our wildest expectations!

The restaurant is, in particular, a seafood restaurant but there is a small choice of chicken and beef.

The presentation and taste of the food was exceptional, worthy of some of the best food we have had at Michelin 1 and 2 star restaurants. My wife had the asparagus with Hollandaise sauce and I had the brioche with basil and mozarella for starters. My wife then had the scallops and I elected to have a non-fish, corn-fed chicken breast fillet on a bed of risotto. This all proved to be just out-of-this-world delicious. Comlimenti allo Chef!!!

2 Thank Alan S

• Polish first
Lugano, Ticino, Switzerland
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

It was my daughter's birthday and she suggested we go to Dellago for her celebratory dinner, which we were happy to do, having been a number of times before and thoroughly enjoyed the meals we had.
Unfortunately, this time was the exact opposite.
After being seated by a young lady who seemed to be rather 'spaced out', we were given Apple iPads with the menus, which is very hi-tec but only nice if you are that way inclined. We asked for a particular wine and were told that there was only one open bottle left, so we could only have a glass each. We agreed and said that we would order an alternative wine a bit later.
My daughter and I had starters - she had , which and I had a Thai chicken soup which was nice.
For main courses my wife ordered the Dellago version of Paella, my daughter ordered a Thai curry and I had a Surf and Turf.
Both the Paella and my Surf and Turf had two large (100g) prawns, all of which were clearly not very fresh, as the flesh was quite flowery. My daughter's Thai curry was almost tasteless, my food had not been seasoned at all, despite the menu stating that it contained Valle Maggia special pepper, which we use at home. They must have forgotten to add it along with any other spices. The risotto that was part of my wife's Paella had not been cooked long enough and was quite crunchy, not creamy like risotto is supposed to be. After serving the food no one asked if it was fine and despite our initial glasses of wine being finished halfway through the meal, not one of the waitresses asked if we would like anything else to drink.
When a waitress finally came to clear the plates, she asked if we enjoyed the meal and we clearly stated that we had not and told her what was wrong with the food. She disappeared and we assumed she was going to tell the chef but that was the last we saw of her.
A different waitress asked if we would like anything further, which we clearly did not.
Up until last night I would have recommended this restaurant but based on the lack of service, the lack of interest on the part of the staff and the tasteless but expensive meals, I would not recommend it to anyone.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Chris M
renerenerene, Inhaber at Dellago, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Oh, hello Chris M.

Mmh, your public feedback is much more polite than the various confidential mails you have sent to "the manager/owner" demanding for apologies and explanations in large, bold, angrily screaming letters. After you placed this here...

Isn't it perfidious to trumpet your irate feedback to the world before you send confidential requests for clarification to me? Why asking for apologies and explanations when your opinion is already made and published to the world? Why getting into a huffy, even minacious mail conversation, if you are just interested to make us look miserable?

I don't want to tread on your toes, but doesn't that say something about the quality of your feedback? At least it reveals a snotty character we prefer not to see in our place anyway.

But nevertheless, let me reply to the various points of your complaint. I already sent you my apologies and explanations and since you made me work, enquire, explain, apologize and write to you for a week, I'll do that with a jolly sarcasm if you permit:

First, our spaced out staff: blimey, those darned space cakes did not work again… it's supposed to be a special surprise for our birthday celebrators with our staff hovering above the feting table waving candles and chanting birthday songs, but instead, they made them wacky girls just frolic, smile and space out... Sigh, I really have to have a word with them and for this I definitely owe another apology to you… aand, maybe we should also change to magic mushrooms instead…

The high-techie i-Pads: according to apple, this device has been sold more than 120 million times and it is generally accepted to be pretty fool-proof. My seven years old niece performs the thing with virtuosity, but maybe she is already genetically altered and has incorporated it as an additional body part. But we are thankful for the hint; we will find another solution to suit the needs of the elderly ;-)

Next was the 'you, she, we, which (what?), I had but not maybe' Tom Kha Gay chicken soup which was nice, - thankyouverymuchindeed - but there is not a word about the overcooked tomatoes or the brioche or else 'she, we, I you' had and did not enjoy: maybe in your mails to me, there was a hidden message between the lines? Whichever; you probably just wanted to tell me how to spice up and space things out to make them look worse?

The only serious allegation are the "clearly non fresh and flowery" prawns, because you blame us to jeopardise our guests health with rotten comestibles. Well, we don't. The "flowery" meat as you call it, is typical for the Argentinian Camarones: they are indeed much softer, sweeter and creamier than the Asian Black Tiger you can get in every supermarket in various sizes, qualities and preparations. The black tiger shell is almost black with greyish vertical stripes (black... tiger... rings a bell?), and its flesh is very firm, almost crisp sometimes and pure white. Camarones instead have a longer, much slimmer body, a fire red shell and their meat is distinguishably sweet (flowery I suppose) and so soft, you could almost squash it with your tongue against your palate. So, no, they were not "clearly not fresh", they were just camarones and not the usual mass product, antibiotics infested, mangrove killing prawns of everywhere.

Our "tasteless" Thai Curry is indeed very delicate and elegant, spicy and hot only in the aftermath but most important, it lets you relish the equally elegant and delicate flavours, fragrances and savours of the sautéed fish and crustaceans in it. Maybe you did not like the sea taste of the fish? Or did you rather think of a british curry mashed up of undefined chunks of various dead sea animals and canned fruits covered with a brown-yellow, glueish glop? gee… pity we don't have the skills to do it brit style: we should try one day, maybe there's a market for it even around here…

The Maggia Valley pepper is a seasoning product containing pepper, yes, and you can use it at home, too, of course, but it's not suitable for the pepper mill. It isn't, because it is a humid, sandy paste of ordinary roughly ground black pepper, salted, secretly seasoned and marinated in white wine for weeks. It is peppery, but rather mild with a wine-ish base, it's not very spicy or hot and it gives a delicate add on to tender spring vegies and mashed potatoes: that was the "not at all seasoned" chunky potato stuff with the black tiny chunky flakes sprinkled on it underneath the beef filet and the "clearly not fresh, flowery" prawns. Again, a rather delicate dish with elegant, even sweetish flavours which we would like to bloom harmonically in the palate, rather than being overkilled and dominated by the wined pepper. If you prefer the heavy handed claymore; fair enough, but I'm afraid we go for the epee.

Last but not least, there was the crunchy risotto; First of all, no, we do not sprinkle or mix corn flakes with it, we simply cook it the Italian way; it's is just few kilometres away, after all… In Italy it is called "al dente" which implies "firm to the bite" which means the core of the rice corn, in all its creaminess, remains slightly firm. But, I admit to have heard of rumours, up north they prefer risotto to look, taste and feel like tepid porridge and some even say they soak rice crispies and speed cook it in a microwave to keep the vitamins… but I think, that is just rumours… At least, I hope…

Dear Chris, it is very clear you did not like us at all, and honestly, there is others who don't: that's life and we can live with it. We can pretty well estimate our professional performance, we are very well documented about our guests satisfaction levels and have the performance figures for every week since march 2001 including a harsh blow here and there. As long as 98% of our customers are perfectly satisfied with what we do, that's all what counts: the other 2%, well, there is other places to match their tastes; if you like, I'd be happy to pass you a few colleagues addresses ;-)

Cheers, the Dellago staff

and in particular last saturdays crew members: Léon, Valentino, Patto, Regula, Chris, Rene, Luana, Nancy, Lorena, Lucia and Naomi
Lugano, Switzerland
“Great view however falls short on culinary experience”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Had dinner at their restaurant last night, despite the friendliness of the service the food tries to make in fusion, however leaves you confused. Quality was excellent but portion size far too small for the price. A good address for an evening aperitif not conviced by the food though

Lugano, Switzerland
“shhh, don't tell anyone...”
Reviewed July 19, 2012

A short drive outside of Lugano, a city where many restaurants do a sort of dated and very tired local cuisine...here was a really cool gem of a restaurant in a small boutique hotel. 2 great terraces just at the waters edge, with a beautiful view of the sun setting on the mountains on the other side of Lake Ceresio. Really good contemporary menu, with a sort of Asian inspired fusion cuisine. A good mix of both fish and meat. Young informal staff doing a fine job. 'Sweet and Sinful' indicated the desserts on the card, to give you a hint of the style. An Ipad for your perousal of the wine list which contained both local wines but also carefully selected really good quality wines from the *new world', good wines for around 50-70 CHF per bottle. And after dinner, pls retire to the small informal lounge bar truly 'les pieds dans l'eau' downstairs for an after dinner drink and a lazy chat in a daybed- or just come for the drinks in the lounge...

• Visited July 2012
Zurich
“Brilliant food”
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Very good restaurant with good variety on dishes with focus on seafood. On busy days/weekends you need to reserve ahead.

Visited April 2012