“B&B heroism” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Serena

Casa Serena
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lamone
Casa Serena
You added Casa Serena to your Saves list
Ranked #2 of 2 Lamone B&B and Inns
Palo Alto, California
“B&B heroism”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I am glad that Casa Serena is on tripadvisor! This is an overdue review; my husband and I stayed at Casa Serena for two nights in August 2008. Our room, which was in the basement, was spacious and clean; the bed was very comfortable. We used it as a base to explore Lugano. Casa Serena is located in Lamone, a residential area one train stop ride from Lugano.

As the other reviewers mentioned, Ula is a kind and hospitable hostess. As soon as we arrived, she served us a refreshing homemade drink and warmly invited us to use the nice swimming pool and the TV in the living area. After a short rest, we took the train to Lugano, which is a great town to explore, spent the rest of the night in Lugano and took the train back after dinner. The train ran regularly until pretty late. In the morning, rich breakfast was served -- really one of the best even by Swiss standard. Ula took us to her garden; we picked tomatoes and basils and she used these to make amazing omelets for us! Her daughter spoke very good English and also gave us information when she was around the house.

Now comes the heroism. On the day of our departure, we were catching a train to Lugano, from there we were going on a bus to tour Lake Como, then directly on the 7.5 hour Glacier Express train ride to Zermatt. As we were leaving, we could not find the house key, which Ula has given to us in case we wanted to stay out late at night. In a fear that we had accidentally packed with cloths we were wearing the previous day, we unpacked and turned our luggage up-side-down. By the time we finally found the keys, we had missed the train from Lamone to Lugano. This would not have been a problem ordinarily (we'd just take the next train), except we would have missed the Lake Como bus and the train. Furthermore, both the bus and the train required reservation, and we knew that the bus reservation was sold out for the next two days. In other words, missing the Lake Como bus would completely mess up the rest of our travel plan. When Ula learned about this, she dropped what she was doing and took us and our luggage to her car. Without us even asking for it, she drove us to Lugano bus station; while on the way, she assured us that she would help me to catch the bus at the next stop even if we missed the bus at Lugano. If we go back to Lugano, which we hope to, we will definitely visit Ula again!

As a side note, we loved the trains in Switzerland! But in hindsight, we would not have spent 7.5 hr on the Glacier Express just for the sake of the train ride. The time would be much better spent enjoying a gelato on Lake Lugano.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

We stayed with Ula (owner of Casa Serena) and her family in the beginning of May 2009. It was a beautiful time to be there as the weather was perfect. Ula was incredibly hospitable, friendly, warm and helpful. On our first night there, Ula drove my mother, my 2 kids and I into town because we didn't know our way around yet. Plus, she made dinner for my husband that night because he was too exhausted from driving all day to come into town with us.

The next day, after a lavish gourmet breakfast of fresh bread, warm cake fresh out of the oven, assorted meats and cheeses, yogurts, cereals and eggs (however you wanted them prepared), Ula took my mom and kids to the playground nearby while my husband and I took an all-day hike.

We rented two rooms which were very clean, each with their own private bathrooms. Each had tv's, bottled water and little chocolates! She had a little wooden crib for my 2-year old to sleep in. A billiard table, reading nook, toys and an outside pool were available to use. Free wireless internet also available!

One thing to note is that she takes cash (swiss francs and euros), possibly traveller's cheques, but no credit card.

This was the best experience I've had traveling with my two little kids. I would highly recommend staying there as it is affordable, 5 min away from the train station (then a short ride to downtown Lugano), very clean, kid-friendly, and she makes a great breakfast!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
      Location
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
2 Thank travellingwithtwo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lamone
Ecohotel Locanda del Giglio
Hotel Vezia
Hotel Vezia
#1 of 1 in Vezia
4.0 of 5 stars 132 reviews

Been to Casa Serena? Share your experiences!