“Should be in Guinness Book of Records - Worst Hotel in the Universe!”
Review of Hotel Sebino

Hotel Sebino
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Sarnico
Dublin
“Should be in Guinness Book of Records - Worst Hotel in the Universe!”
Reviewed June 14, 2010

Even if this "hotel" was free it would still be a seriously bad value. The first clues as to how unbelievably wretched it is lie in the fact that (a) the location map on its own website is wildly inaccurate (unfortunately we persevered for 2/3 hours and finally located the "hotel" - Big Mistake!), (b) the photographs are totally misleading (c) you can't access the "hotel" by car - you've to park up quite a distance away, walk back to the "hotel", plead with the (mature) inexplicably hostile, non-English speaking Receptionist for a special card to access the pedestrianised area, walk back to your car again, attempt to negotiate your car back through the labyrinthe of one way streets to the "hotel" and then unpack your luggage while the same hostile Receptionist indicates to you in sign language - and monitors you personally - that you've 5 minutes max to unload your luggage, check in, bring your luggage up yo your room and get back to your car and drive it off to the nearest paying public car park you might just be lucky enough to stumble upon. Actually, that's the best part of this "hotel". The worst parts of the "hotel" are the rooms with two windows, one directly above the 24 hour incredibly noisy main road through Sarnico, the other above a piazza joint (I believe owned by the hotel - it looked tacky enough) with shouting/roaring teenagers all through the night and "air-conditioning" which didn't work - and looked like it hasn't worked since Garibaldi unified Italy. We initially had a dilema - try to sleep in the sauna-like room without the bedlum from outside by keeping the windows closed, or, open the windows and kid ourselves we were getting an occasional 40 winks notwithstanding the mayhem outside. We tried alternating between the two and finally at about one or two in the morning one of my daughters had a brain wave - the four of us dragged our mattresses into the corridor where the reduced noise and heat were almost, but not quite, tolerable. We'd booked a room for my wife, two daughters and myself and , boy, were we glad the two "beds" for the two girls were ultra-basic camp beds - it made dragging the girls' mattresses into the corridor really easy. We'd specifically requested a quiet room with functioning air-conditioning when originally making the booking - we sure were glad we'd done that, what on earth (we wondered bemusedly) would the noisy rooms without any air-conditioning have been like? Breakfast was hilarious - the same ( by now even more so) hostile Receptionist personally supervised whatever anyone took off the buffet tables for breakfast and muttered ominously if more than one of anything was taken. She attempted to herd everyone into one section of one humid breakfast room but bad-humouredly gave up when several of us made a successful escape into the (official) al fresco breakfast area. We were constantly monitored as to the quantity of food we were consuming and attempts by some of us to get her to fix the "orange juice" machine so that we could drink "juice", rather than coloured tap water and/or a chemical compound, were to no avail. Woe betide anyone - regardless of sex, age or nationality - who dared to move anything out of place or leave a teaspoon or a saucer anywhere other than where the Receptionist deemed it should be. There was a (mature) jolly gentleman who finally surfaced and seemed very pleased that most of us were breakfasting al fresco and who did finally fix the "orange juice" machine - seemingly to the annoyance of his female counterpart. When the bread rolls ran out the female Receptionist ultimately went off and returned with about 6/8 rolls which the few guests agreed looked like she'd just purchased from a shop. Everyone grabbed one to be on the safe side but as soon as I went to get myself a coffee the Receptionist came over and berated my wife for taking a 2nd roll (which was actually mine). My wife was finally so annoyed that as soon as I returned with my coffee she insisted we leave the hotel forthwith. When the Receptionist saw us leaving the table - with an uneaten bread roll left on the table - she launched into a comically sinister tirade. When we were checking out of the hotel there was a young, very friendly, English-speaking Receptionist at the desk - but it really was a case of far too little, far too late. To be fair, the jolly gentleman was also very pleasant but, in summary, the best part of this "hotel" is the leaving of it and knowing that one will never have to return there. Don't be fooled by any fictional descriptions or photographs on this "hotel's" website, or on any other website, this has got to be worst hotel ever in the entire universe. But, it takes all sorts, if sleepless nights, unbearably hot and sticky bedrooms, Oliver Twist-like portions of breakfast, no parking and a serial grumpy lady who dislikes hotel guests are your idea of holiday fun - you'll love this place. Good Luck - you'll need it!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank MikeFagan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed October 27, 2009

What they don't show is the noisy, busy highway that runs between the hotel and the river. The traffic noise and shouting from adjacent piazza go on at all hours. Few of the staff spoke any English, and the manager seemed quite put out that I'm only just learning Italian. Just getting to Sarnico is difficult; no trains run there and only limited bus service.
My room, which had a view of the bank across the piazza, was dusty and stuffy, but there was no sleeping with the window open because of the noise. The ethernet cable they gave me for Internet access, along with a complicated set of ID numbers, didn't work, and the manager couldn't even explain to me how to use the phone. The "double" bed was actually two singles stuck together with a gap between. Shower only--no tub.
I was there to research the countryside for a book. This was a very inconvenient headquarters for such a venture, as the nearest boats are in Iseo and the hiking trails well hidden a half day's walk upriver.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank Lionfeathers

Travelers are raving about these Sarnico hotels

Belgium
Reviewed December 4, 2008

We have been travelling 4 people through Italy in November, low season, so we did not make reservations beforehead but just on the spot.

We found Sebino via Booking and saw it was close to the lake, 4 * and that they had a very reasonable offer as for 4*(68EUR ).

We went there directly without reserving electronically. What a big surprise! At the reception we are told that indeed there are free rooms for this night but they cost 120. We tell the girl that we saw their offer on booking and would like to use it. She goes to her manager (I think the owner of the place) an anthypatic guy smoking a smelly cigar who says no way he would give us this price. We tell him we would book through bookings then. He is very offended , starts to argue in Italian and says they have internet in the hotel but only in the rooms (which, aside is not true) and we will not get a room until we pay his real price. ;-))) This was a special offer and it is over now (was not 10 minutes earlier when we looked on bookings).

We decide we would leave and search something else although it was quite a late evening. Then he starts to be conciliatory and says he can go down to 70 EUR but not lower... All this with very bad manners. We decide to stay anyway convinced by the amical treatment we got from the receptionist.

We are reminded that the keys shall be left at the reception any time we leave. We say we only want to park the car (public covered parking few streets away) and would come back. He looks at us as if we would be stealing his property...

It is 22h30. As we were 4 we gathered together in one of the rooms just to watch TV (there is no bar), talk and plan the day after. I must say we laughed as well but nothing excessive... The manager arrives to our door and shouts as we open : 'finito! silence!' in Italian treating us as small kids not respecting the social norms. We say 'ok' and close the door. We pay attention not to be loud but just talk and laugh quitely... There he comes back in 10 minutes with the same yet more agressive attitude... We start to feel guilty when we go to take a shower thinking it would make too much noise...

Another issue is the breakfast. Extremely small choice- the ham is over after 5 minutes although there were 6 people sitting in the room. When asked for more ham and bread the receptionist (being a waitress at the same time) shows are her offended face and dissapears with the plate for 10-15 minutes at least... The quality of the coffee and croissants is also inferior.

Additionally the owner circulates around looking at us as if we would be guilty of a homocide...

When we check out - the only think we could hear from the receptionist was :'did you have anything from the minibar?'... I would expect also 'did you have a good night?' or 'thank you' maybe...

All this is very emotional because I was extremely p... off with the treatment we have received.

Now, more objectively, the hotel is far from 4* but it is not bad. The best days are far behind but it has a certain style. It is very comfortably located- the lake is just across the street, some of the rooms have really nice views.

In any way this can pay off for the treatment you get. You pay for a service but you feel not like a guest but invader. I think we should let the guy enjoy his peace and silence... One thing is sure - he will never get any money from me again! Although I plan to come back to there since the area is extremely beautiful I will very well remember to avoid this hotel!

Additionally I think when you advertise an offer you should stick to it. Otherwise you cheat. As simple as this.

PS. To be just I have to say that one of the two receptionists we dealt with was extremely nice and professional. She was the one to welcome us in the evening and to do the translation of the 'House Master'.Poor girl! I think that if we would have dealt with the owner only we would have never decided to stay!

• Liked — situation
  • Disliked — treatment by the owner
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Sasza
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We wanted a view towards the lake, so we were guided to this 4 star hotel. We have been offered two rooms; on a little bigger than the other, with a view on a wall.
So we took the other. Great view but terribly small -we didn't know where to put our belongings. The heating was off and only came on from 8 pm until sometime during the night. It was freezing. Breakfast as bad as service!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank scout_3000
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed June 20, 2008

The hotel was billed as a 4* - it's only a 4* if a decent hotel is a 20*

First the good points
- it's a very nice location with a lake view and the hotel staff were very good despite lack of support from management and lack of facilities to offer guests.
- good location in the old town
- a small terrace with a lake view means you can eat your breakfast (see bad points) outside but under cover.

The mediocre points
- the rooms are small as was the TV in our room.
- Parking was a short walk from the hotel but was covered and not too difficult to get to.
- dropping the bags off at the hotel door was difficult as you have to drive over a pedestrian area with pavement cafe's etc.

The worst point
- I was disgusted that the manager (owner?) was bawling out one of his staff. This is bad enough but even worse within earshot of customers. The girl was trying her best to be helpful to my disabled girlfriend by swapping rooms for us but the manager took exception since we had already moved our bags into the first room (only about 15 minutes before - the time it took me to park the car and walk back). He reduced the poor girl to tears and I will never let that hotel make money from me in again.

Other bad points
- The air conditioner was ineffective and noisy I had to jam paper in the casing to stop it vibrating.
- The laminate floor under the bed had not been swept for a long time, it was filthy (although the visible floor has been swept and was clean - just don't look under the bed).
- The breakfast was very poor. Only a choice of 2 cereals, 2 juices, one type of ham, one type of cheese, yogurt and sweet croissants with a small amount of fresh fruit. No salad leaves, tomatoes, pate, eggs, toast or choice of bread that you would expect in any decent 2* or 3* hotel. The small amount of ham and cheese available ran out frequently and was slow to be refilled as It was the receptionist that had to double up as the waitress.
- There are no rooms with baths, only showers. This was not mentioned anywhere in the information (a 4* hotel without a bath!). The shower that we had was absolutely tiny. With the sliding door opened as far as possible I had to breath in and force myself into the cubicle bending the doors in the process(alright so I'm big, but my slim girlfriend brushed the sides too as she went in). Once in the shower there was insufficient space to wash properly and every time I moved around I knocked the tap making the water hot, cold, or turning it off altogether.

In summary
- I will not stay there again at the price I paid (about £65 B&B for 2 people) it was more than double what it was worth. Spend your money on a better hotel unless it's only the location that's important, or get a good guest house at half the price with better facilities. But if you do stay here be nice to the staff as they have to put up with a manager that could do with a course in people skills and anger management. I believe there are laws against bullying people at work in the UK, I don't know what the situation is in Italy.

• Liked — The view and location in the old town, and friendly staff
  • Disliked — No bath, poor breakfast, small room, appaling management
  • Stayed June 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael-and-Minxy
North East England
Reviewed April 2, 2008

The hotel was once a nunnery and has been refurbished to a very high standard - e.g. quality hardwood veneers in properly matched pairs on the doors and door-frames. It's at the very end of Lake Iseo.

The staff are very friendly and mostly speak English. There's satellite TV in the rooms with a couple of English-language news channels. Some of the rooms have a balcony overlooking the lake - rooms on the third floor are best for this.

The hotel is small, so breakfast is rather basic and there isn't a lot of choice. It's very definitely a serve-yourself buffet. Acceptable but not memorable.

The hotel has an underground car-park; sadly, it's under the Sebino's sister hotel about half a mile away!

• Liked — Quiet quality
  • Disliked — A bit sombre
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gradivus
UK
Reviewed September 19, 2007

This is one of the worst hotels ever and the customer service is appalling. The 'management' repeatedly ignored my concerns.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank Mumu101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sarnico
Hotel Ulivi
Hotel Ulivi
#1 of 1 in Paratico
Cocca Hotel Royal Thai Spa
Iseo Lago Hotel
Iseo Lago Hotel
#2 of 13 in Iseo
Romantik Hotel Relais Mirabella Iseo
Romantik Hotel Relais Mirabella ...
#1 of 4 in Clusane sul Lago
Hotel Lovere Resort & Spa
Empire Resort Hotel
Empire Resort Hotel
#2 of 4 in Clusane sul Lago

Been to Hotel Sebino? Share your experiences!